Will you be happy if Ottawa ices the exact same team next season?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Look at teams at try and buy championships how many of them have success very very few then look at teams that build teams be adding youth many of those to have success.

Successful posters do use punctuation though.

I suggest you look it up.

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
I wouldn't be happy with the EXACT same team. I would be content if we added a top 4 RD to play with Cowen.

Of course I could fantasize about hypothetical teams all day long, but I try to keep it realistic. I don't think the forwards are that bad, its more that top 4 RD we need.

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site
They have to add a top 4 defenceman or I would consider the off-season a failure. I have hopes for Cowen and Ceci but this season is proof that you can't bank on young guys taking that next step on a schedule.

I would be especially disappointed if we sign both Hemsky and Michalek and leave the defence alone. If money is to be spend, it HAS to go to the back end.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
They have to add a top 4 defenceman or I would consider the off-season a failure. I have hopes for Cowen and Ceci but this season is proof that you can't bank on young guys taking that next step on a schedule.

I would be especially disappointed if we sign both Hemsky and Michalek and leave the defence alone. If money is to be spend, it HAS to go to the back end.

There also needs to be players we can get that make sense for us

There isn't much on the FA market that we can expect to land

POOLSHARK19

Mar 25, 2013
Posted this in the off season trade thread, but my answer is a mix of yes and no. I don't think this team needs a major shakeup. I think it needs time and development. Focus on the youth in our system, and give them the best chance to succeed.

Heres what I'd like to see happen with our lineup

I am part of the camp that doesn’t see Ryan in Ottawa’s future plans. He was initially brought in to be that winger for Spezza and it hasn't worked out... I think Stone fills the void on the second line and has the potential to be more effective than Ryan on that second line. Stone is a great forechecker, great at takeaways, and has the potential to be a real scorer in the NHL. Sure, Ryan can score, but don’t think he deserves the $$ he will probably be asking for. I dont think Ryan is a strong player without the puck. dare i say he lacks intensity?

Turris and Macarthur make that second line run, and I don’t feel we should sign ryan to a huge contract to be a complimentary player on our second line. Hemsky has shown us that he and spez can work for us on our top line. So here is what I’d do if I were Murray for the summer.

- Let Michalek walk. Time for a kid to replace him. Injury prone, declining streaky winger. Unless he wants to stay for a big discount, I think it’s time to cut ties.

- Sign Hemsky to a 4 year ~20 mil contract.

-Trade, buy out, cut Greening. Whatever you gotta do, Just get him off this team. A young player deserves his spot.

- TRADE Ryan and a pick to Philly for Voracek + a young player. Would love to get a good young d prospect or a young forward like couturier, but I assumer we'd have to add a bit to get couturier back as well.

Now for Ottawa's defensive troubles...

Truth of the matter is I doubt very much that the Sens are ready to give up on Cowen, and Phillips with his new contract is a lock for the 3rd pairing.. With karlsson, methot and Ceci all locks, that leaves one empty slot which I think will be Weircioch’s spot to lose. Hopefully we can find an upgrade through ufa or trade, but I would love to see Weircioch get a full year of development. We're still a young team and growing pains are a normal part of the process. Hopefully there will be improvement among our young D next season

2014/2015 line up:

5 on 5 lines
Hemsky-Spezza-Voracek
Macarthur-Turris-Stone
Lazar-Zibanejad-Hoffman
Condra-Smith-Neil

Extras: pageau, da costa

Karlsson-Methot
Ceci-Cowen
Phillips-Weircioch

Extras: gryba, boro

PP1
Hemsky-Spezza-Zibanejad
Karlsson-Voracek

PP2
Macarthur-Turris-Stone
Weircioch-Hoffman

I for one am very optimistic for the Sens next season!

Last edited:

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam

Yeah, barring a MacArthur like oversight by another club, any significant improvement along those lines likely coming via trade if at all and not everyone wants to dance on that front either.

Give to get. Quality top 4 D are not just made available because we want them to be. If they are, the price is often prohibitive.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I voted yes.

I am expecting a bounceback season from Jared Cowen. Erik Karlsson to be even better. Methot to be better. Gryba to continue to improve. Ceci to grow . Wiercoch to play more and develeop. Phillips to rotate in and out for the entire year.

Healthy Spezza. Happy Hemsky. These two together should be fun to watch as their chemistry continues to mesh. Michalek inspired and healthy having fun. Spezza growing into the role of captain, if anybody here would give him the same chance as Alfie did to become a better captain.

Ryan at 100% and trying to earn a contract extension, meaning his body fat % should be in the low teens. MacArthur and Turris picking up where they left off.

Zibanejad on his current Bell curve should be a force. Stone, much to the lament of the many skating instructors here finding more pace as his confidence swells, Hoffman continuing to believe in himself that he can play in this league and use his skills.

Smith, Neil and Greening/Condra platooning on the 4th providing some energy, hits, fights, and penalty killing.

Andy playing better in front of a better defensive team and Lehner still learning on the job.

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site

They just have to fix it. Whether it's a UFA or another Methot-style trade. They cannot go into the next season with the same group of defencemen in my mind (and not talking about adding a Borowiecki type).

I know there's long term plans and budgets etc. However, next season counts too and going into next season without a real upgrade is really setting it up to be another bad season. Also, most moves these days are made in the summer. If they find the defence is bad again next season, they probably won't be able to fix it in the middle of the year.

This is where pro scouting comes into play I guess. I don't really care who they get but the Sens have to get a player that can be competent and play top 4 minutes.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
I voted yes.

I am expecting a bounceback season from Jared Cowen. Erik Karlsson to be even better. Methot to be better. Gryba to continue to improve. Ceci to grow . Wiercoch to play more and develeop. Phillips to rotate in and out for the entire year.

Healthy Spezza. Happy Hemsky. These two together should be fun to watch as their chemistry continues to mesh. Michalek inspired and healthy having fun. Spezza growing into the role of captain, if anybody here would give him the same chance as Alfie did to become a better captain.

Ryan at 100% and trying to earn a contract extension, meaning his body fat % should be in the low teens. MacArthur and Turris picking up where they left off.

Zibanejad on his current Bell curve should be a force. Stone, much to the lament of the many skating instructors here finding more pace as his confidence swells, Hoffman continuing to believe in himself that he can play in this league and use his skills.

Smith, Neil and Greening/Condra platooning on the 4th providing some energy, hits, fights, and penalty killing.

Andy playing better in front of a better defensive team and Lehner still learning on the job.

I can see this, but so much depends on that top line staying healthy. Hemsky and Michalek are talented but oft injured. Spezza has the wonky back.If there guys stay healthy and motivated, that is a petty good team.That is a fairly big "if" though.

I think Weircioch can be a reliable puck moving defenceman with more playing time and development. Boro is coming up at some point.

Most importantly,next year there should be an attitude adjustment McArthur said that at first they seemed to think they were better then they are and could win on skill without playing hard and taking care of details. They know better now and should go into next season smarter and hungrier and with something to prove.. So I can see that it could be possible to go into next year with the same crew and still have a successful season.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I can see this, but so much depends on that top line staying healthy. Hemsky and Michalek are talented but oft injured. Spezza has the wonky back.If there guys stay healthy and motivated, that is a petty good team.That is a fairly big "if" though.

I think Weircioch can be a reliable puck moving defenceman with more playing time and development. Boro is coming up at some point.

Most importantly,next year there should be an attitude adjustment McArthur said that at first they seemed to think they were better then they are and could win on skill without playing hard and taking care of details. They know better now and should go into next season smarter and hungrier and with something to prove.. So I can see that it could be possible to go into next year with the same crew and still have a successful season.

people forget how young this team is in a lot of ways. A great learning lesson for a lot of players.

I think Wiercoch was being taught an important lesson and now he is in the lineup playing the way the coach wants him to play. My gut tells me what is ailing Wiercoch is his intensity and the coach is trying to get him to compete harder and make the most of his opportunity.

Spezza being healthy and skating the way he has lately...like it or not Spezza haters this is still his team. Warts and all. There is no one that can replace him that is attainable anyways. I don't think he is going to the Worlds but if he does it can only help if he is healthy.

Oct 10, 2010
Nope.

D needs to be addressed and keeping the same core on the back end intact is banking on too much.

I want change!!

Berserker*

I'd be furious.

And I'm not talking about a minor move to get me happy. I want another MacArthur type impact acquisition.

I want more ****ing heart.

This, adding a few more players with a high compete level would be great. We need more guys that play with an edge, we need to be harder to play against.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Im fine with the goaltending and forwards but if they don't make a play for a legit top 2 D man I will not spend a dime next season.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I voted yes.

There's so many question marks in this post it's making me confused.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
No, team needs veteran stability on the back end. We can't just keep relying on the young talent, even if our young depth is good.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
This is like a playoff game tonight. Lose and we are done (if not already). Guess who isn't available to play? The always injured captain. Spezza should be traded for a top line big winger and top 4 dman

Caje

Mar 18, 2010
I am part of the camp that doesn’t see Ryan in Ottawa’s future plans. He was initially brought in to be that winger for Spezza and it hasn't worked out... I think Stone fills the void on the second line and has the potential to be more effective than Ryan on that second line. Stone is a great forechecker, great at takeaways, and has the potential to be a real scorer in the NHL. Sure, Ryan can score, but don’t think he deserves the $$ he will probably be asking for. I dont think Ryan is a strong player without the puck. dare i say he lacks intensity?

I think it's way too early to pencil in Stone as a second line winger for next season. He has 16 NHL games under his belt, and tons of players go through a sophomore slump. I'd feel much better about going into next season with Bobby Ryan in the top 6 instead of Stone.

FireDJ

Jul 20, 2006
Alberta
Good bye Condra... guy can't get a puck out to save his life.
Good bye Greening... what a waste of a roster spot.
Good bye Smith... too many dumb penalties at bad times.
Good bye Phillips.... oh wait, he's re-upped for some reason.
Good bye Michalek... been better lately but still a waste on the top line, and the guy can't win a battle.

Hello top 4 dman.
Re-up Hemmer
Ryan will be back.
Get decent third line grit who can score... like the Detroit mould

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad