Will we catch the Canucks in the standings?

Will the Oilers catch the Canuck

• Yes

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 46.1%
  • it will be close

Votes: 36 35.3%

• Total voters

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I don't think so. It's simply too big of a gap to overcome in such a short period of time. Not to mention we still have 3 dates left with Colorado who we don't tend to fare well against lately.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Realistically, still probably not. Vancouver is pacing to 112 points. Beating that would require 14-2-2 or better the rest of the way.

Oilers would need to get hot AND Canucks would need to limp into the playoffs for this to happen.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I think it will come down to that game on Saturday April 13th, 2024.

We win that game we got SJ, ARI and COL to finish the season.

Vancouver has the Flames and the Jets to finish the year after that game.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
and I've never seen 4 players from the same team in the Top 15 in league shooting % like the Canucks...but here we are
You realize it doesn't have to be a mutually exclusive thing, right?

Like, teams can still be playing well and getting luck, just like teams can be playing well and not getting any luck.

To simply chalk up a 42-17-8 record as luck just screams of copium

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
You realize it doesn't have to be a mutually exclusive thing, right?

Like, teams can still be playing well and getting luck, just like teams can be playing well and not getting any luck.

To simply chalk up a 42-17-8 record as luck just screams of copium
sure, they're a good team...but they're getting good luck too
and I believe they're playing above their heads...reminds me of the 2018-19 or 21-22 Flames...tons of players with career seasons

the "core" of Pettersson, Miller, Demko, Hughes and Boeser were all there last year yet they were awful...now suddenly they're a juggernaut? I don't buy it

Reactions: MessierII

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Realistically, still probably not. Vancouver is pacing to 112 points. Beating that would require 14-2-2 or better the rest of the way.

Oilers would need to get hot AND Canucks would need to limp into the playoffs for this to happen.
And like I said in another thread, I almost don't want the Oilers to end the regular season on a heater again. I think last year's insane stretch caused them to take winning for granted; I'd rather they learn hard lessons in the regular season against Buffalo than in the playoffs against the Kings and Knights.

Save the momentum for the playoffs when it matters.

Reactions: Porkleaker

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
and I've never seen 4 players from the same team in the Top 15 in league shooting % like the Canucks...but here we are
Kinda reminds me of the season Calgary had before we totally gutted and destroyed them, many with career high shooting %'s, not many injuries, 1st in the pacific and will likely not make it beyond the 2nd round. Sounds good.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
sure, they're a good team...but they're getting good luck too
and I believe they're playing above their heads...reminds me of the 2018-19 or 21-22 Flames...tons of players with career seasons

the "core" of Pettersson, Miller, Demko, Hughes and Boeser were all there last year yet they were awful...now suddenly they're a juggernaut? I don't buy it
It's a really good core group of players. Add in some savvy depth pieces and stand up goaltending and you have a recipe for success. Boeser went through a lot of the same things Larsson went through with his dad passing during the season and not being able to grieve, so for him I can understand the bounceback.

I'm not saying they aren't getting bounces. But Tocchett has had them playing hard all season and it's been apparent all season.

It's been the same thing every month since October. "They're just getting lucky bounces, its unsustainable". Yet here we are 4 and a half months later and people are still saying the same thing. At some point you just have to tip your cap and acknowledge that a team is having a really good year, and that doesnt happen solely because they got lucky. I hate when sports teams or players are discredited for their work in any given year by people who are just salty and want to yell "luck".

It goes deeper than that.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
No and I don’t really care to do so

Match up wise, 2nd place in the Pacific might give you the most favourable opponent (LA)

Reactions: Duke74

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Really is a shame there's nobody left to put any pressure on Vegas. No real threat from behind. Going to stumble into the playoffs at the second wildcard just because there was nobody close behind them

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
No, they are a better team than most here want to admit.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I've never seen a team have an entire season chalked up to luck quite like the Canucks and HF this year.
I think they are a good team with some good players. I just don’t think they are #1 in the Pacific. I think their bottom 6 in particular is an anomaly.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Their 9 game home stand is the primary reason I don't think we catch them and that they are completely done with teams currently top 5 in league standings (only 3 against the top 10 teams even).

Also, with the Oilers playing 9 games in 15 days in 7 different cities starting next week, then another 6 in 9/5 in 7 stretch to finish off, Edmonton likely focusses on health and rest once they've locked up home ice instead of burning themselves out to try and catch a team that likely is too far away.

Don’t want that to be a focus for the boys. At this point it is about staying healthy and keeping some reserves in the tank for when the real season begins.

If it happens it happens.

Particularly with how busy the schedule is down the stretch. Don't burn out your guys chasing something that may not be achievable anyways. Focus once they've clinched a non-wild card spot is load management with even more focus on it once they clinch home ice.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I think they are a good team with some good players. I just don’t think they are #1 in the Pacific. I think their bottom 6 in particular is an anomaly.
Agree about the bottom six. It's clicked out of nowhere.

Teddy Bluegar was a good pickup. But I never expected guys like Joshua to find any real footing. But they play hard and know their jobs. I thought Tocchett was a shit hiring, but he's doing some really good things with that team, and the top end talent is always an x-factor.

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
The reward for winning the division this year might be a first round matchup against a cap circumventing Vegas powerhouse

The way it's looking (and the way LA is looking), not winning the division means a dance with the Knights

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad