Speculation: Will there be a second buyout window this offseason? How active do you expect it to be?

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Teams who have players who go to arbitration have a window after the ruling. There are some specific rules around how it gets activated after team-elected arbitration, but for the 24 guys who have filed for player-elected arbitration and haven’t signed yet it is still possible that their teams buy someone out.

There are only 11 teams in this situation. Colorado doesn’t count because Toews wasn’t on their roster at the 2020 trade deadline; that rule is in place to prohibit teams acquiring RFAs just so they can open a buyout window.

Last edited:

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Some teams might be forced to. Many clubs are near the cap max with unsigned rfa’s.

Edmonton has about 700,000 with Ethan Bear unsigned. I don’t believe we have any arbitration eligible players so we wouldn’t get another chance at a buyout, if I’m not mistaken.

Vancouver around $2 million with not Gaudette and Virtanen needing deals.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Some teams might be forced to. Many clubs are near the cap max with unsigned rfa’s.

Edmonton has about 700,000 with Ethan Bear unsigned. I don’t believe we have any arbitration eligible players so we wouldn’t get another chance at a buyout, if I’m not mistaken.

Vancouver around $2 million with not Gaudette and Virtanen needing deals.

If Edmonton does 13/7, it has closer to 1.5m with Bear left to sign.

Bearbait

Mar 4, 2011
Depending on what happens with Buffalo's 3 hearings, if they get into a situation where they have to buy out someone, I'd have to believe Okposo would be at the top of the list. Even with the Skinner contract, they finally added a 2C to jump start him so I don't see them buying him out, for now.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Depending on what happens with Buffalo's 3 hearings, if they get into a situation where they have to buy out someone, I'd have to believe Okposo would be at the top of the list. Even with the Skinner contract, they finally added a 2C to jump start him so I don't see them buying him out, for now.
Buying out Okposo wouldn’t help us very much. He would still be a $4m cap hit this season, a $5m hit next season, and a $3m hit the year after that (in addition to $1m the following three years). Not worth doing.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
After reading this thread, it seemed like the role of arbitration might get lost, yet is important. The 2nd buyout is specific to arbitration players.

Might be helpful to post the rest of the FAQs.

Buyouts Outside of the Regular Period

Clubs whom have 1 or more arbitration filings may be permitted to perform a buyout outside of the regular window. This gives teams another opportunity to become cap compliant following an arbitration case.

Clubs are permitted to perform a buyout outside the regular period during the 48 hour period beginning on the third day after the final of [CBA 13(c)ii]:
  1. Settlement of the Club's final arbitration case, or
  2. Receipt of the Club's last arbitration award

Requirements:
  1. A buyout can only be performed on a player who was on the clubs reserve list at 3:00pm on the most recent trade deadline
  2. The player must have a cap hit of at least $4,000,000 for the 2020 offseason

There is an exception to this buyout period (CBA Reference: Section 11.18; 12.3) if the arbitation was Club-elected (as opposed to player-elected) and the player did not receive a qualifying offer. In this case, a minimum of two arbitration cases are necessary to trigger the buy-out period outside the regular window.

Last edited:

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Sutter's a guaranteed buyout at this point right?

No. The team can be compliant with a 21 man roster. Given that there's no chance that they play the AHL season in Utica across the border (due to 14 day quarantine), I'd assume that it is possible for the team to run a lean roster with paper transactions to bring up non-roster players when injuries occur.

Ferland's return is far from certain, which would resolve any short-term cap complications.

Given that the team elected to place the entire bonus overage this season and has so far refused to pay assets to get out of bad contracts or done any buyouts, I think the team is willing to suffer this season to be better positioned next season.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Does Vancouver gets to buy anyone out?

Good question & I'm not sure. Did Virtanen actually go through the arbitration "case" (process), or did he sign before he went into the "case" (process) with the arbitrator?

The info from CapFriendly (see # 12) says: "This gives teams another opportunity to become cap compliant following an arbitration case."

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Good question & I'm not sure. Did Virtanen actually go through the arbitration "case" (process), or did he sign before he went into the "case" (process) with the arbitrator?

The info from CapFriendly (see # 12) says: "This gives teams another opportunity to become cap compliant following an arbitration case."
There’s like a 4M dollar annual minimum I thought? I think Buffalo is the team that likely has that?

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
There’s like a 4M dollar annual minimum I thought? I think Buffalo is the team that likely has that?
Yes, that's true. And, you can see the rules that apply in post #12 above which I got from CapFriendly. However, even if Virtanen had been paid $4 m, I don't think a 2nd buyout would have applied because he didn't actually have an arbitration case as he signed before the case was held with the arbitrator. At least that's how I am interpreting what is written (fwiw).

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
they should give each team the option of buying out a player and resign them to the same term. So for Marner we would buy him out and resign at league min. Boom cap problems solved

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I expect many teams will only carry the minimum to ice a team to stay cap compliant and the league/PA will allow 3-5 extra insurance players to travel/practice with the team that don’t count against the cap but get paid full NHL salary. Top 20 salaries of the lot is what will be used to calculate the cap regardless of who’s in the lineup. Will be a special Covid clause especially if they end up in bubbles and can’t quickly access farm teams.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
What I am wondering about is an expanded salary cap if there is no AHL. If you incrementally increase the roster at an average of 8 players (for a 31 player roster) for an average AAV of $750 000, that would be an extra $6 million in budget spending for owners vs. operating a minor league affiliate with a limited to a non existent fan base, with travel restrictions in place. Teams that are over the Cap would be able to fit under by carrying a smaller roster size then. Because I still don't see how you operate the AHL this season. It's going to about TV and merchandising revenue streams for the NHL.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
they should give each team the option of buying out a player and resign them to the same term. So for Marner we would buy him out and resign at league min. Boom cap problems solved
That’s utterly against the point of the cap

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

The actual rule is "following the resolution of the team's last arbitration case". Signing Virtanen resolved Vancouver's last arbitration case, so the 2nd buyout window will open for the Canucks.

Only players making more then a certain amount are eligible to be bought out in the second window. Normally that limit would be $3.57m this year, but for 2020 only the NHL and PA agreed to raise it to $4m.

So Vancouver can buyout Sutter. They could not buyout Ferland even if healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad