Will the Rangers hit 3 goals per game under AV?

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
rangers were 1st in the east and 2nd overall with an offense ranked 11th. i think if AV can get this team into the top 15 we will be among the elite again, especially with staal healthy and hank...well being hank.

Drewbackatu*

Absolutely not. I would be shocked.

When the Rangers have two players like the Sedins, IMO the two most under-appreciate stars of the last 5+ years, who can single-handedly create offense for 20 minutes a night...sure.

Although apparently the only reason why they couldn't hit that number last year was Torts. All aboard the NYR summer hype train!

Lol. I couldn't have worded it any better myself!

Drewbackatu*

Please, don't make me spit out my morning coffee while dying from laughter

The Ranger's averaging over 3 goals per game? I thought we hired the former coach of a team that lost 10 of their last 11 playoff games and not Houdini! Some people on these boards either have an active imagination or are living in Fantasyland!

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
Despite coaching some very talented offensive teams, AV is not an offensive coach. He coaches very similarly to Renney.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I'd be surprised if they did. That would mean our PP is clicking.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Man, people are going to be dissapointed when we keep playing a defensive style. Which is what best suits this team, so people shouldn't be upset.. but some will be.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
it will be close. They were at 2.62 goals/game last season.
To hit 3 per game they'd need an extra 32 or so goals over a full season, where would the extra goals come from?
Brad, kreider, Zuke, Pouillot, Brassard.
I think it's doable, but it will be close, i am guessing they will come in around 2.9/game this first season, if everything works out as planned.

Ilovemymum

recreational MD
Feb 17, 2010
it will be close. They were at 2.62 goals/game last season.
To hit 3 per game they'd need an extra 32 or so goals over a full season, where would the extra goals come from?
Brad, kreider, Zuke, Pouillot, Brassard.
I think it's doable, but it will be close, i am guessing they will come in around 2.9/game this first season, if everything works out as planned.

Think it's going to be virtually impossible to get to 3. Gaborik is gone and even if all of the top current forwards matched their best season ever, they would still be far away. It became pretty obvious in the games against Bruins that contribution from the defense was lacking big time. Maybe if the defense got properly involved offensively they could get a bit closer. Del Zotto got some potential and betting on that he will have a great season.

BlueLooksGood

Jul 22, 2010
Long Island
Are we counting shootout winners?

If so, the team has came close to 246 goals before. In 2010-11 they scored 233 goals. Dubi was the leading scorer that year.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Hell no. I'd just like to see some improvement in other areas leading up first before talking about how much goals we can put in.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don't think people realize how lofty 3 per game is. There's years where only 5 or 6 teams get there.

Miz

Jun 2, 2011
Is 246 goals out of the question? No, we scored 222 in 11-12 playing a shot blocking/defensive system.

It's also going to depend on a number of different things, but can everyone on the roster play up to their full potential? Still don't know what we have in Hagelin and Kreider. Can Richards turn it around? Can Stepan and Brass keep playing at the level that they were with Torts? Will Cally and Hags shoulder surgery affect their season?

A ton of questions going into the season but if everything falls into place, it's not out of the question.
Optimism people....goes a long way in life.

Blue Seat Spartan

Permanent Vacation
Apr 24, 2012
Richmond County, NY
Probably not, but I think the Rangers could get close to that rate of scoring. I'd focus more on the goal differential instead. Depending on if Kreider breaks out and Pouliot chips in his 10-15 goals, I expect to see a good number of 2-1 & 3-2 games with possibly a few 4-1 or greater final scores by the Rangers.

This all hinges on Vigneault improving the Rangers' PP and generating offense off the rush and in transition. Hopefully he'll allow for more creativity from his scorers instead of mandating that they dump the puck in on every occasion.

So, predictions in GF-GA terms: 245-168 (+77 differential)

Last edited:

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I can't tell you how much Kunitz and Dupuis annoy me.

a franchise couldn't have more luck

The emergences of Kunitz and Dupuis are a combination of good scouting and tying them to the hip of Crosby and Malkin, 2 of the best centers in the world.

How about Crosby's concussion history? Or Fleury's problems.

If you want to compare luck vs. the Penguins, the Rangers stumbling into Lundqvist would probably be the luckiest singular event.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
The emergences of Kunitz and Dupuis are a combination of good scouting and tying them to the hip of Crosby and Malkin, 2 of the best centers in the world.

How about Crosby's concussion history? Or Fleury's problems.

If you want to compare luck vs. the Penguins, the Rangers stumbling into Lundqvist would probably be the luckiest singular event.

The Pens were also handed Mario and Crosby.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad