Will the Pens 3-peat?

billcook

Apr 17, 2012
I think so. They have the three most important things for playoff.

1.) Scoring depth
2.) Superstars
3.) Luck. 'it factor', 'swag'.

I think they can match Islanders from 80s.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Nope. If Murray gets injured or falters they don't have MAF to fall back on. They lost a bit of depth.

Truthfully they looked to be running out of gas toward the end of last year's playoff run. Luckily for them, Nashville was also banged up.

But I see several teams in the league this year that I wouldn't be surprised to see win the Cup. I don't see any chance Pittsburgh does it again, they'll be gassed.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
They're the favourites to win again. History is obviously on their side, their young players are establishing themselves, they still have the most talent on paper and no one figured them out. Sullivan has a lot of tricks up his sleeve. He won in 2016 with sheer firepower and he won in 2017 through resilience and strong individual performances.

What they're doing is remarkable.

CuriousGeorge

Jun 8, 2007
What a silly question, of course they will. There is no other team that can match up to Penguins' speed and toughness.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I think they are still the top contenders. It's hard to repeat and even harder to three-peat. It's not the Jets time yet, so I can get behind cheering for Sid and Malkin to make it a three peat.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
While they are the strong favourite, it's pretty silly to answer "yes" to any one team winning the Stanley Cup. Even if you assume they have an 80% chance of winning every series, that's still under 50% chance at the Cup and they don't have odds that good.

Let's not forget they needed a late goal in two game 7's to advance. Someone will get hot at the right time on the other team, or someone on the Pens will get cold or a lucky bounce goes against them and suddenly they're out.

HomeAndHome

All aboard the Lane train! WooWoo
Mar 10, 2017
London, ON
I think they can, they're going into the season without too many major changes. For me it rides on a couple key factors:

Health of stars: Malkin, Letang, Crosby
Murray's durability: Playing a full season without MAF

If they can go into the playoffs with a healthy roster they are surely the favorites.

A lot has to go right in today's NHL to win the cup

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I'd say they have a 30-35% chance, with the next best team being at 10%ish. So they are the heavy favorite in that sense, but I'd still take the field as of right now.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think you take the field, yeah.

That said - will be interesting to re-run the poll at the end of the regular season. If the Pens arrive at that point without major injuries and without too much obvious tiredness, I think a few more people will say yes.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
No. They're the favorites of any team to win the cup next year I'd say, but that's still only say a 20% chance vs a 80% chance that another team wins the cup.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Still the favorites but it's unlikely...although we said that in August 2016 as well. If Guentzel takes another step forward and Sprong is effective right out of the gate and Letang comes back as good as ever it would increase the pens chances greatly. That said knowing Crosby he wants it so bad...an actual dynasty hasn't happened in the NHL in 30 years.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
In march 2016, I called the pens the nhl's version of the golden state warriors.

I'll be proven very right in June 2018 when they pull of the 3-peat.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
Highly unlikely, but I'd love it if they did. I'd give them about a 8% chance at the moment. They are still a strong team, but losing MAF and our 3/4 centers is really going to make a deep run rough. We've had to fall back on our #2 goalie in both recent runs and, if this happens again, I'm not very sold on Niemi being able to carry us.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Highly unlikely, but I'd love it if they did. I'd give them about a 8% chance at the moment. They are still a strong team, but losing MAF and our 3/4 centers is really going to make a deep run rough. We've had to fall back on our #2 goalie in both recent runs and, if this happens again, I'm not very sold on Niemi being able to carry us.

Losing Fleury is going to have probably no impact on the Penguins going deep next year. Yeah, they wouldn't have won without his last year, but they didn't need him at all the year before.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
No.

I mean I think 'we' have as good of a chance as anyone this year, but winning the Stanley Cup once is absurdly difficult...winning three in a row in a capped league would be borderline absurd.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
they will make some moves at trade deadline to reinforce themselves for a legit run at the stanley cup. I think they can 3 peat.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Voted no. It's hard enough to win the Cup, period. It's even more difficult to do so three times in a row.

If they did, however, it's got to go down in history as one of the truly amazing feats when you consider just how much forced parity there is in the league with the salary cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad