Will the Jets finally replace Paul Maurice?

TerminatorBlue

Nov 11, 2007
Canada
I always thought Hitchcock might be a good fit in Winnipeg, he does have an expiration date though. A lot of people forget that the Blues were a below average team before he came along.

I doubt they get rid of Paul Maurice now as there isn't much to pick from with so many teams looking for coaches.

Nov 24, 2006
In 2015 when they got swept by the Ducks they had major injuries and couldn’t field a competitive team. That is a pass. This? This is on their GM. It’s time he started growing a pair and put some solid depth in place.
Solid depth? What the hell are you taking about?

Maurice is a coach that fails to adapt to change. Within game, and from game to game.

Reactions: Mbraunm

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Yeah I don’t understand this line of thinking at all.

There are plenty of coaches available even if they’re not as experienced.

Why didn’t Chicago keep Q? There wasn’t anyone available close to his credentials, yet they fired him. Why? Coaches have a shelf life. When it’s time to move on, it’s time to move on. Using “oh, I guess he’s the best we can do” is a pathetic excuse.

Not to mention that Maurice isn’t even that good overall. He’s a decent stop gap. He’s definitely been there too long.
Q was fired midseason. Midseason firings are different. Those are usually made because whatever that coach is doing is just not working anymore and you just need a change of pace quick. When you fire a coach in the offseason, very rarely do they replace said coach with a less qualified coach (FL from Boughner to Q, Philly from Gordon to AV). Maybe the Rangers are an example of moving on from an experienced coach to a less experienced coach, but that move was in line with their purge and rebuild/retool mentality.

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
In an interview with Robert Lehner, he stated the biggest reason why the Isles has such a bounce back season was that Trotz brought accountability to the entire team.

I did not see this in any way from Maurice this year...except with the numerous demotions to young players...not Wheeler and Scheifele.
Exactly.

Maurice is way too ”nice” and scared of his star/veteran players. The way he handles them almost shows that he looks at WPG roster on paper, sees an overly stacked team and now he has no balls to say anything to the star players because he wants to be there so badly.

He is afraid he gets ”eicheled”.

The coach always has to come first. And be the highest in the hierarchy. That’s how it is in Toronto for example, because Babcock was brought there on a huge contract before these star players - they better listen to him.

Unfortunately, many times coaches switch places and the teams stay the same. I don’t think anything is going to change in Buffalo or Edmonton either because those couple star players own the locker room and basically run the team. It’s a real common issue in the NHL - thankfully not as bad as in the NBA.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
At the time, I felt they needed to be a lot more active at the deadline, I was hoping they were going to get Duchene or Stone. Rather than trading prospects they stood still and wasted another year.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Not really sure who is available to replace Maurice with though. Since pretty much no great veteran coach is really available they'd probably have to go with a first time coach which can be a gamble . The veteran coaches who are left i'm not sure they're any better than Maurice. Maybe one get fired in the next couple of weeks but i'm not sure who ? Laviolette maybe ? I don't think Preds let him go just yet though if they get eliminated .

serp

Jan 17, 2016
i may be wrong but i thought the Jets had one of the best top to bottom lineups in the playoffs. Thats not on the GM. He put good pieces in place

This . Looking at the roster going into the season and especially after the deadline the Jets on paper had a top3 roster assembled . Something was just off though . Last few months the team didn't look all that interested and that is not just on the players but also the coach.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Tough spot.

To have the roster they have and be out this early after making it deeper last year... makes you wonder. But also at a disadvantage with possible replacements already gone.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
If the Jets front office management had any talent among them they would put Chevy on the hot seat. He’s had more than enough time to build a solid winner that can go deep in the playoffs.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Who do you replace him with? Retreads like McClellen and Vingualt are getting hired, Buffalo can't find a coach they like. Minnesota can't fire Boudreau for the same reason the Jets can't fire Maurice.

Maurice maybe should be let go, his in game decisions are mind-boggling, but he won't be.

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
This wasn't a Paul Maurice failure, the guy is a good coach and always has been. The reason Winnipeg blossomed into a contender rather than languishing at the bottom of the standing like Edmonton and Buffalo did is because of his coaching. Winnipeg would miss it if it were gone and they had simply an average coach. The failure of the Jets this year is on the GM. Everyone knew they had a window of opportunity that would slam shut with so many free agents this year, instead of going all in the way Columbus did with their limited window the Jets half-assed it. This was their chance to do damage and instead of landing Stone to put them over the top at the deadline they cheaped out on Hayes. Shame on the GM, he'll never have this good an opportunity again with all of those free agents pending.

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014
Maurice is there as long as Buff Wheeler Schief are his main guys ANd they maintain control over the room.

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014
Maurice is there as long as Buff Wheeler Schief are his main guys ANd they maintain control over the room.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think Boudreau would be a great fit in Winnipeg.

Maurice has had his opportunities. It's time the Jets moved on from him.
We love Boudreau, but it's painfully obvious that Fenton doesn't. The moves that Fenton has made have made us a worse team, and I can't see BB being excited about that. Trading for Aberg, Rask, Bitetto, then demanding they get playing time can't sit well with him.
I'm betting that BB would be good with moving, and I know Fenton would be turning cartwheels. Don't know if the owner would be on board. Leipold has said that he wants Boudreau to stay.

Boudreau would have credibility with the players and wouldn't take any crap.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
If the Jets front office management had any talent among them they would put Chevy on the hot seat. He’s had more than enough time to build a solid winner that can go deep in the playoffs.
^This.

Their GM is the problem, not the coach. He is an AHL GM that has struggled with the jump to NHL level. He just cant improve the team that Atlanta and their scout has given him.

He is too reluctant to make meaniful moves to improve the team and when he has finally done it recently at the deadline he has pissed away 1st round picks on rentals.

Chevy is simply out of his depth. Bottom 5 GM in the league.

Reactions: Dolemite

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad