Will the FHL be playing this year?

AHLFAN

Mar 10, 2008
Shrewsbury, PA
The last we heard from the FHL was when they released their schedule back in August. Since then, nothing. There's only eight days to opening night and nothing on their website or on any boards. Is the FHL DOA?

Cornwall OHL

That's my O face.
Jun 18, 2010
South Glengarry
Well their newest news piece is about some player for the Demons having a baby. I found that to be very informative and interesting...

I am very surprised they didn't try to expand their footprint this year. There is a large gap between the team in the east and central. Also if they add four teams, you know two are going to fold midway through the season, leaving them with six.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
To quote Futurama...

All I know is my gut says, "maybe."

Honestly hard to know for sure for this league. I wouldn't be surprised if they announced with under a week's notice the outright folding of the entire league, a sudden multi-team expansion for this very year, and everything in between.

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
To quote Futurama...

All I know is my gut says, "maybe."

Honestly hard to know for sure for this league. I wouldn't be surprised if they announced with under a week's notice the outright folding of the entire league, a sudden multi-team expansion for this very year, and everything in between.

There are people in Dayton putting in time and money in preparation for the Demonz. And that includes at Hara Arena.

Doesn't mean the league won't quit half way through or whatever. But they appear to be getting ready to start the year.

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
There are people in Dayton putting in time and money in preparation for the Demonz. And that includes at Hara Arena.

Doesn't mean the league won't quit half way through or whatever. But they appear to be getting ready to start the year.

Hopefully Dayton can get an ECHL team sometime soon, they're definitely better than the FHL at any rate.

Edit: I was just checking out their schedule for the upcoming season and they have two stretches where they play four games in four nights...

Watertown Dayton Thu, Dec 05 7:35 PM
Dayton Danville Fri, Dec 06 7:05 PM
Danville Dayton Sat, Dec 07 7:35 PM
Danville Dayton Sun, Dec 08 5:05 PM

Watertown Dayton Thu, Mar 13 7:35 PM
Watertown Dayton Fri, Mar 14 7:35 PM
Danbury Dayton Sat, Mar 15 7:35 PM
Dayton Danville Sun, Mar 16 5:05 PM

In both cases the last two games are less than 24hrs apart, talk about brutal...

Last edited:

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
Hopefully Dayton can get an ECHL team sometime soon, they're definitely better than the FHL at any rate.

There is no demand in Dayton for an ECHL team.. either from the people/fans or the corporate community..

You would need five years of heavy losses to turn the sentiment around in that city. Who wants to do that?

Sniper45

Jul 29, 2011
Well their newest news piece is about some player for the Demons having a baby. I found that to be very informative and interesting...

I am very surprised they didn't try to expand their footprint this year. There is a large gap between the team in the east and central. Also if they add four teams, you know two are going to fold midway through the season, leaving them with six.

The FHL tried, they really did, however no one is interested in becoming an owner in this league!

The FHL is an absolute mess, so many problems, wouldn't be surprised if on opening night, the league folds....

arlingtonway

Jan 30, 2009
1000 Island Privateers don't even have a website.

They do have a web site, it stinks, but they have one

LINK

I wish they did more web site updates, but all the teams have started or are about to start camp (there's actual photographic evidence).

As to how long they will last who knows but at least they seem to already have 1 new team in the works for next season

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Okay..... that website just makes me even more thoroughly confused.... especially as their dropdown links to their Twitter account and Facebook page directs to the dead Cape Code Bluefins....

arlingtonway

Jan 30, 2009
The FHL has a way of reusing things... the dead links to the old Bluefins pages are there becasue Im pretty sure at one point the Black Bears page was the Blue fins page.

Just like when Dayton joined the league they took the old Brooklyn Aviators site.

As to the team name I'm pretty sure they are forming some sort of partnership with the youth organization that plays out of the same rink. The youth team is the Northern Berkshire Black Bears and they've been around since 1969

Sniper45

Jul 29, 2011
there's 4 teams: Dayton, Danville, Danbury, and Watertown, Berkshire joins in 2014-15

Will be interesting to see if there is a league to join!!

Honestly, the puck drops in less than 4 days, and yet there is zero publicity about the start of the season. What a joke...

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Danbury seems well along in their preparation for the season. They have always been the strongest team in the league.

It would be a shame if the good people of that town would be deprived of a team. They have supported teams in at least three different leagues, always drawing well for a league of that size and scope.

It's a shame that the Danbury Ice Arena wasn't just a bit bigger and a bit better: though it might be a marginal franchise in a higher league, Danbury just might be able to support a ECHL team.

From the point of view of Danbury, it would be quite sad not to have a team to support.

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
Somebody should write to the league and ask straight up if they actually plan on doing any promotion for the upcoming season (assuming of course that there is a season).

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Will be interesting to see if there is a league to join!!

Honestly, the puck drops in less than 4 days, and yet there is zero publicity about the start of the season. What a joke...

all 4 teams are quite strong if you choose to follow them, but w/ the plethora of teams and leagues playing all at the same time:shakehead

Sniper45

Jul 29, 2011
Received e-mail from the Danbury Whalers this morning: they are definitely planning on opening the season on Saturday.

Yeah, received an email from the FHL front office saying the season will start 1 Nov.

How? I have no idea, no promotion, no website updates, only 4 teams?? What a mess. The worst beer leagues are run better than this gong show:p:

arlingtonway

Jan 30, 2009
the league itself might not be promoting the upcoming season but the individual teams are all over their social media sites

Fresh round of articles in the local press, not just in Danbury but there's been articles in the Watertown, Danville, and Dayton papers

Watertown's Booster Club (yes they have one) is even posting photos from practice.

Last edited:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Very good that they're playing another season... let's just hope all the teams are still playing by the end of the season.

Who knows...? Might even try to catch a Dashers game as I've got family down in Central Illinois anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad