Will Shane jumping off the Hell in a cell change anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
All of us who still remeber the Attitude era were trilled to see Shane dive off the Hell in a Cell at Wrestlemania. This was the single biggest and brightest moment in Wrestling since the attitude era ended. But will it change anything? Will Wrestling continue as before or might this bring back the good old days bit by bit? I mean many newer fans have never seen anything like it...

Certified Assassin

Souped up Wildcat
Jul 15, 2010
West Virginia
I think WWE will continue to be as PG as it can be. I mean, you have Shane dropping off the Cell, but then no blood is shed in the Dean VS Lesnar match (which is technically a "hardcore" match). You may see some risqué moves in random PPVs, but never going to get that on television for the foreseeable future.

Nothing will change, WWE will continue to spiral down into darkness (as long as Vince is there).

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
If you think Shane jumping off the cell is the brightest moment since the Attitude Era ended, I feel bad for you.

PG is not hurting WWE, bad writing is.

This nails it.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
If you think Shane jumping off the cell is the brightest moment since the Attitude Era ended, I feel bad for you.

PG is not hurting WWE, bad writing is.

This nails it.

Well that goes hand in hand. PG is limiting the writing. And thus making it worse.

And spots like Shane's jump are what wrestling is all about! It huge spots, blod, good wrestling with lots of high impact moves, puppies, misogyny, beer drinking and hell raising!

There was a lot of bad Writing and stupid plot lines during the attitude era too. But it had the things I listed above and that's what made it great!

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Well that goes hand in hand. PG is limiting the writing. And thus making it worse.

And spots like Shane's jump are what wrestling is all about! It huge spots, blod, good wrestling with lots of high impact moves, puppies, misogyny, beer drinking and hell raising!

There was a lot of bad Writing and stupid plot lines during the attitude era too. But it had the things I listed above and that's what made it great!

We've seen amazing moments since the Attitude Era ended. Bryan, Benoit/Guerrero, MitB 2011, Heyman era Smackdown, the Smackdown Six, the first One Night Stand, I could go for hours.

Wrestling is not about big spots. What the hell is that list? Not touching that.

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
That moment was such an outlier because there isn't a chance in hell they let a contracted wrestler do that. Not in this day and age. Shane could do it because he's a McMahon and stunts are his thing.

NXT is PG and the writing/booking there is excellent. They are just terrified to try that in front of a larger audience....or more accurately, it's never been what Vince wants.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
And just discussed last week, wwe announced they are releasing their 3rd attitude era DVD.

Last edited:

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Oh cool I didn't know Mulletman threads popped up here too.

No, as someone who has watched the Attitude Era, Shane jumping off the cell was not even close to the best thing to happen just that weekend, let alone in 15 years.

When you're his age, stuff like that just becomes uncomfortable to watch. Give me good writing and PG can be great as well.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa

No it's not. Smackdown 2002/3 is some of the best programming WWE ever put out and it was PG.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
That moment was such an outlier because there isn't a chance in hell they let a contracted wrestler do that. Not in this day and age. Shane could do it because he's a McMahon and stunts are his thing.

NXT is PG and the writing/booking there is excellent. They are just terrified to try that in front of a larger audience....or more accurately, it's never been what Vince wants.

And right there is your problem! We need to go back to the good old days, when nobody worried about that kind of things. We as fans want Entertainment! Entertainment should come Before anything else, especially before safety. Mick Foley and Jeff Hardy didn't become wrestlers because it's safe, they became wrestlers to entertain us fans!

S A W F T*

And right there is your problem! We need to go back to the good old days, when nobody worried about that kind of things. We as fans want Entertainment! Entertainment should come Before anything else, especially before safety. Mick Foley and Jeff Hardy didn't become wrestlers because it's safe, they became wrestlers to entertain us fans!

Lol.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.

Hello
Welcome to the wrestling board

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
No it's not. Smackdown 2002/3 is some of the best programming WWE ever put out and it was PG.

They had excellent matches back then on smackdown with Angle, Edge, Benoit, Mysterio and Guirrero, but that was when they started to slowly scale back the crazy stuff. But that was still tecnically the "attitude era". I remember that they still used the attitude logo way past the invasion storyline from the year Before.

Plus us fans were still in the mindset that WWF would still bring us something crazy every now and then. Oh how wrong we were. If we would've known how bad it would get we would've rioted back then.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
We've seen amazing moments since the Attitude Era ended. Bryan, Benoit/Guerrero, MitB 2011, Heyman era Smackdown, the Smackdown Six, the first One Night Stand, I could go for hours.

Wrestling is not about big spots. What the hell is that list? Not touching that.

But nothing of that is as great as Shane jumping of the Cell. And that was even ruined by the crowd. Nobody was actually expecting him to jump until just Before he jumped. Imagine if that had been back in 2000-2002. The crowd would've gone completely nuts as soon as Shane started to climb the cell...

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
They had excellent matches back then on smackdown with Angle, Edge, Benoit, Mysterio and Guirrero, but that was when they started to slowly scale back the crazy stuff. But that was still tecnically the "attitude era". I remember that they still used the attitude logo way past the invasion storyline from the year Before.

Plus us fans were still in the mindset that WWF would still bring us something crazy every now and then. Oh how wrong we were. If we would've known how bad it would get we would've rioted back then.

Looking at your previous post and now this one, it's clear you have no idea.

The Attitude Era ended in 2001. 2002-2007 was the Ruthless Aggression Era.

And to your other post, no, I want to be entertained, but I don't want to see these guys killing themselves and shortening their lives in front of me. I literally cringe when I see a chair shot to the head now because we know what we know. Smackdown 2002/2003 was ****ing awesome, and if the product went back to that, which was entertaining, great wrestling, great stories and safer than the Attitude Era, I'd be super happy.

But no, our entertainment should not come before their safety, like you said in your other post. That is absolutely insane. There are plenty of ways to entertain us rather than doing stupid ****.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa

Puppies and misogyny do not make wrestling good. Get out with that. :facepalm:

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Smackdown Six was absolutely Ruthless Aggression era so yea.

Entertainment is not wrestlers willingly hurting themselves in dangerous spots, Jesus.

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
Entertainment is not wrestlers willingly hurting themselves in dangerous spots, Jesus.

Exactly, though if you want that there are outlets for it (thinking CZW for that)

But it's not a sustainable model. You will burn through guys from attrition quickly.

In fact, I don't think it would be a bad idea if WWE took 3-4 weeks off in December each year to give guys rest. Just do best-of shows in the meantime.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They've been trying to recreate that Mick Foley spot for nearly 20 years. We knew Shane would do it. No one knew Mick Foley would do it, and they've tried so many times that the appeal really isn't there anymore. Shane is also not an active wrestler, so its not something that becomes an iconic moment for that character and follows them around.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
They've been trying to recreate that Mick Foley spot for nearly 20 years. We knew Shane would do it. No one knew Mick Foley would do it, and they've tried so many times that the appeal really isn't there anymore. Shane is also not an active wrestler, so its not something that becomes an iconic moment for that character and follows them around.

If somehow this was undertakers last match, I could see wwe replaying this all the time ten years later.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Exactly, though if you want that there are outlets for it (thinking CZW for that)

But it's not a sustainable model. You will burn through guys from attrition quickly.

In fact, I don't think it would be a bad idea if WWE took 3-4 weeks off in December each year to give guys rest. Just do best-of shows in the meantime.

Wrestlers need to work less garbage matches like now. WWE needs more wrestlers on the roster so they can rest the guys that need rest. With more wrestlers you can give us great wrestling with lots of high impact moves. I mean we don't even see the regular stuff we saw on basically every Raw and Smackdown 15 years ago even on PPV:s. Back drops used to be in almost every match, with the wrestlers even being dropped outside of the ring. Suplexes we saw a ton of in every match. Just look at things now. It's not just the big spots, it's the simple little things like that, that's missing too.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Wrestlers need to work less garbage matches like now. WWE needs more wrestlers on the roster so they can rest the guys that need rest. With more wrestlers you can give us great wrestling with lots of high impact moves. I mean we don't even see the regular stuff we saw on basically every Raw and Smackdown 15 years ago even on PPV:s. Back drops used to be in almost every match, with the wrestlers even being dropped outside of the ring. Suplexes we saw a ton of in every match. Just look at things now. It's not just the big spots, it's the simple little things like that, that's missing too.

You say that as we literally have a wrestler in there giving his opponent more than a dozen suplexes in a 10-minute span.

Everything you said is still there so I have no idea what you're talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad