Line Combos: Will Samorukov and Konovalov finish the season with the Oilers?

Samo and Kono

• Total voters

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Thinking neither too. And that's how it probably should be. Need some ripening!

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
giphy.gif

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Nope, but I suspect each could get a regular season game or two. I think both are the real deal and as high as the expectations for Samorukov are I actually have higher expectations for Konovalov.

Reactions: Oilhawks

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Should have included neither. Samo's missing too many game to start the year with his injury, and with this being Ilya's first year on North American ice, they likely go to Skinner first regardless of Ilya's numbers if there is an injury.

Reactions: Czechboy

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Nope, but I suspect each could get a regular season game or two. I think both are the real deal and as high as the expectations for Samorukov are I actually have higher expectations for Konovalov.

Maybe Samo gets a couple games, but with his injury situation, I don't think they push the agenda on him. Ilya won't get a game this year unless both Smith and Kosko get injured at the same time, and even then it's more likely they find a waiver guy than go to thier fourth goalie.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Maybe Samo gets a couple games, but with his injury situation, I don't think they push the agenda on him. Ilya won't get a game this year unless both Smith and Kosko get injured at the same time, and even then it's more likely they find a waiver guy than go to thier fourth goalie.
It would only take one goaltender coming down with the flu for a call up. Konovalov is older, has more pro experience and if he outplays Skinner he'll deserve the call. If Skinner outplays Konovalov, he'll get the call.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Tough to say until we see what both are capable of in Bako this season. I hope that both are at least pushing.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
On average teams use about 10 dmen on their roster in a season.. so I wouldn't doubt you could see a few games for any of Berglund/Kemp/Samorukov etc. Just depends on where injuries hit... on the right or left side and which players are looking good down in the AHL to deserve a callup.

Nurse
Keith
Russell
Koekkoek
Lagesson

That's the LHD ahead of Samorukov on the depth charts currently so there would likely have to be a couple injuries there for him to get a callup... but Russell is already got some nagging injuries and Keith isn't getting any younger (but he's been pretty healthy for an old guy :) )... so I could see a couple callups on the LH side this season.

Broberg and Niemelainen are also in the mix down there on the LHD and I could also see Niemelainen getting a few games as he plays that physical style that Samorukov plays and is a year older as well.

In net... who knows... 2 aging goalies means there's probably a higher chance than normal that at least one misses a few games this season... so Skinner/Konovalov could see a few games at a minimum as a backup. My guess is that they'd go with Skinner 1st as he has a little more experience (well just 1 game in the NHL)... but they likely want Konovalov getting a season in the AHL to acclimatize to NA before calling him up... but I assume if he's clearly doing better down in Bakersfield they'd have to consider calling him up as an injury replacement.

I don't expect either to play 10+ games with the team... but again it all depends on how bad the injury bugs are which is unpredictable each year.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I cant see Konovalov finishing the year with the Oilers. Even if theres an injury, I think Skinner will get called up first unless Skinner has a really poor year but I think its unlikely. He looks a lot more calm and sharp than what I remember.

I think Samurokov has a chance. Him getting hurt, lowers his chances though. I dont think LD3 is super locked down. Russell seems kinda frail these days after being a warrior for so long. Koekkoek is solid but nothing really amazing. Lagesson doesnt really look like hes taken any kind of step. Broberg needs AHL time. I wouldnt of been surprised honestly to see Samurokov take a spot out of camp just based on what I've seen so far. But honestly who really knows, we didnt even get to see Samurokov in action.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I cant see Konovalov finishing the year with the Oilers. Even if theres an injury, I think Skinner will get called up first unless Skinner has a really poor year but I think its unlikely. He looks a lot more calm and sharp than what I remember.

I think Samurokov has a chance. Him getting hurt, lowers his chances though. I dont think LD3 is super locked down. Russell seems kinda frail these days after being a warrior for so long. Koekkoek is solid but nothing really amazing. Lagesson doesnt really look like hes taken any kind of step. Broberg needs AHL time. I wouldnt of been surprised honestly to see Samurokov take a spot out of camp just based on what I've seen so far. But honestly who really knows, we didnt even get to see Samurokov in action.

I agree LD3 isn't locked down, but that's mostly because there are 3 real options for it. Possibly he could have made a run, but passing 3 guys with NHL experience, while still being waiver exempt, would have been a monumental achievement. And he would have had to pass all three convincingly as they wouldn't have kept him up to sit in the pressbox.

D4ngleSZN

Sep 26, 2021
I don't think either will be more than AHLers. Hence why we should've drafted Wallstedt.

I actually wager Wallstedt will be in the NHL before either of them.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I don't think either will be more than AHLers. Hence why we should've drafted Wallstedt.

Bourgault is going to make an impact in the NHL before Wallstedt even gets a game in the NHL

D4ngleSZN

Sep 26, 2021

Sorry I thought that said Skinner not Samurakov. Samurakov should make the NHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad