Will Rimouski Make The Mem CUp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
They are a totally one-dimensional team. If Crosby stays hot he might be able to carry them there, but if he drops off even a bit they will be completely exposed.

KILLger

Mar 2, 2002
Canada
Visit site
Epsilon said:
They are a totally one-dimensional team. If Crosby stays hot he might be able to carry them there, but if he drops off even a bit they will be completely exposed.

Not if DANNY STEWART leads the way. Just watch!

Rimouski isn't only Crosby though...

Pouliot, Roussin, Hrdel and Tobin are all solid forwards. Scalzo, Coulombe and Sersen aren't bad dmen.

Crosby is the reason why they aren't defeated in their last 30 (or almost) but it's not only depending on him.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Epsilon said:

They are one dimensional in the sense that they are an offensive juggernaut.

But Crosby is far from the only weapon this team has. Yes, the Rimouski offence runs through him, but its not as if he does everything for everybody. If Crosby gets cold there are still a number of extremely talented players able to step forward.

KILLger

Mar 2, 2002
Canada
Visit site
Matt MacInnis said:
They are one dimensional in the sense that they are an offensive juggernaut.

But Crosby is far from the only weapon this team has. Yes, the Rimouski offence runs through him, but its not as if he does everything for everybody. If Crosby gets cold there are still a number of extremely talented players able to step forward.

I'm not arguing that. If they'd hope to win defensively, they'd be outmatched, clearly. Thing is I'm not sure London's offense is better and I'm not sure either Dennis/Coleman are going to be able to shut the 'Nics' offense.

Quiet Robert

Feb 3, 2005
nomorekids said:
to it? maybe.

win it?

not unless the London Knights suddenly lock themselves out.

I still think whoever comes out of the west will give the Knights a really hard time. Although it sounds like the Knights dominated last night. 9-1 against Windsor. :eek:

But I agree on the other points, Rimouski has a very strong chance of coming out of the Q and making it to the Memorial Cup. Their offence is amazing, and if they continue to produce they could be tough to play against in the Memorial Cup. People focus on Crosby, but the top 2 lines have been producing thus far in the series and if both those lines are clicking, they will be tough to stop.

But again, London + the WHL winner will be very strong, and I think Rimouski will have a tough time against those teams, but that's not to say they will be outmatched. Physically they will get bumped around, but if their defence can hold on, I think their offence could be enough to make for very competitive games.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
Quiet Robert said:
I still think whoever comes out of the west will give the Knights a really hard time. Although it sounds like the Knights dominated last night. 9-1 against Windsor. :eek:
I agree on that point. With the glamour of Crosby and his team on a hot streak and the Knights great season it seems that most almost think it's a given that those 2 teams will meet in the Memorial Cup finals without even discussing the fact that WHL can send any one of about 5 teams that will play a very physical, defensive, NHL style game that is gonna be very hard for these offensive stars on London and Rimouski to break through. Too bad it is a single game knock-out in the play-off. I'd love to see either London or Rimouski play one of the WHL powers in grueling 7 game series.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Crosby is the big concern but even if you do shut him down guys like Pouliot are very dangerous as well. I am pretty sure he is averaging over 2 PPG since he was passed over for the WJC. Including the playoffs

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
I made my predictions of
WHL-Medicine Hat (tough call against Kooteney Kelowna and maybe Brandon)
OHL-Kitchener
QMJHL-Rimouski
Host-London

Darcy Wakaluk

Apr 30, 2004
I think the final most of the neutral fans will be hoping to see will be London vs Rimouski. The two best teams of the year, both of which who compiled historic unbeaten streaks of over 30 games, going head to head for the Memorial Cup. Those two teams would play a relatively wide open style (compared to say.. Kelowna last year) and I think it would make for one heck of a final.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
unbeaten in over 30? If they don't make it, its a major collapse....either that or someone went Tonya Harding on Crosby

Chootoi

Jan 7, 2005
Darcy Wakaluk said:
I think the final most of the neutral fans will be hoping to see will be London vs Rimouski. The two best teams of the year, both of which who compiled historic unbeaten streaks of over 30 games, going head to head for the Memorial Cup. Those two teams would play a relatively wide open style (compared to say.. Kelowna last year) and I think it would make for one heck of a final.

i'll agree with that statement but i think it's more of a Perry vs. Crosby thing than London vs. Rimouski for a lot of people

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Chootoi said:
i'll agree with that statement but i think it's more of a Perry vs. Crosby thing than London vs. Rimouski for a lot of people
Crosby vs.Perry is a part of it but more of a sidenote.If it came down to these 2
teams the billing would be Crosby and the Rimouski Oceanic vs. the record breaking London Knights.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
I don't know much about CHL and the memorial cup so I have a question.

Is it just a coincidence that at the same time the hosts are the best team this year (London)? What if the host team is crappy? Than you have OHL, QMJHL and WHL winners and that crappy host team? Why isn't it just those three teams playing on the neutral ice?

Another question; The playing format of the memorial cup? 4 teams and than round robin?

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
Leachmeister2000 said:
peterborough?

Absolutely. If London wins the OHL western conference like they should (Kitchener is the one likely remaining roadblock) then it's the eastern conference finalist that gets to the memorial cup.

Peterborough is the strongest team left in the east. People picking Kitchener/Owen Sound and such to make the Memorial Cup forget that if London wins the OHL as they should, then it's the eastern finalist who goes.

Tom

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
TORRUS said:
I don't know much about CHL and the memorial cup so I have a question.

Is it just a coincidence that at the same time the hosts are the best team this year (London)? What if the host team is crappy? Than you have OHL, QMJHL and WHL winners and that crappy host team? Why isn't it just those three teams playing on the neutral ice?

Another question; The playing format of the memorial cup? 4 teams and than round robin?
It's not a total co-incidence as the team making a bid as
host has to convince the committee they are going to have a competitive team.
It is a round Robin with four teams:the host and the OHL,WHL,QMJHL champions.If London wins the OHL then the finalist in the OHL will also go to the Memorial Cup

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
KILLger said:
I'm not arguing that. If they'd hope to win defensively, they'd be outmatched, clearly. Thing is I'm not sure London's offense is better and I'm not sure either Dennis/Coleman are going to be able to shut the 'Nics' offense.

I don't think anyone can really shut out the nics' offense. All London has to do is score one more goal against a what by all accounts is a weaker defensive team.

As good as Rimouski is, they still have to go against a team that is not only the top *offensive* team in the OHL, but is also the top *defensive* team in the OHL with goalies that have the top save percentages to boot.

Not saying it's going to happen that way - anything is possible in the Mem cup. Whatever happens it will be an awesome game with a ton of great hype to go with it.

Tom

Last edited:

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
ryz said:
I agree on that point. With the glamour of Crosby and his team on a hot streak and the Knights great season it seems that most almost think it's a given that those 2 teams will meet in the Memorial Cup finals without even discussing the fact that WHL can send any one of about 5 teams that will play a very physical, defensive, NHL style game that is gonna be very hard for these offensive stars on London and Rimouski to break through. Too bad it is a single game knock-out in the play-off. I'd love to see either London or Rimouski play one of the WHL powers in grueling 7 game series.
I don't think it's at all a given,and I'm sure everyone realizes that the WHL finalist
will be tough to beat.I think it's more a matter of it being the match we want to see than the one we expect to see.I don't think anyone has a special advantage because of the format.I wouldn't count the Nics or Knights out in a best of Seven.Both teams may not have the physical toughness of the WHL but they have mental toughness(you have to if you've gone that many games unbeaten).Other strengths in a best of seven would be that Labonte is a great strategist and London has great depth.Actually I think they might prefer best of seven.

Blackshad

Oct 12, 2002
Epsilon said:
I agree they are a one-dimensional team. But their transision defence/attack is phenomenal. Their second line produce more than most of the 1 st line in the Q!
Why so? Because their defence make very good first passes and can help their foward on the offence. They are dominating Lewinston now... and Lewinston is a very good team!!!

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
thomasincanada said:
Absolutely. If London wins the OHL western conference like they should (Kitchener is the one likely remaining roadblock) then it's the eastern conference finalist that gets to the memorial cup.

Peterborough is the strongest team left in the east. People picking Kitchener/Owen Sound and such to make the Memorial Cup forget that if London wins the OHL as they should, then it's the eastern finalist who goes.

Tom

Ok, I see your point. And LEwiston is not that strong of a team. They barely finished above .500.

Blackshad

Oct 12, 2002
Leachmeister2000 said:
Ok, I see your point. And LEwiston is not that strong of a team. They barely finished above .500.
The 3rd best team in the league since January 1st. They managed to win in 4 games against the Cataractes, a very good defencive team.
Saw them play a couple of games this season and they were a very good team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad