Speculation: Will Reimer be considered Infamous in the future?

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
This free-fall is certainly not all Reimer's fault. This team has been playing by the skin of thier teeth all season and the main reason they were winning was offence and goaltending. The team's main weekness(defence) has been greatly exposed by the recent downturn in goaltending. Defence is way worse than I thought it was.

Besides this is all Clarkson's fault.:sarcasm:

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
It's funny seeing the same people who are saying "FIRE CARLYLE" in here saying "BLAME REIMER".

If you want Carlyle gone, don't make Reimer your scapegoat.

Make Reimer your scapegoat, and him being moved on in the off-season will be considered "fixing the problem" - or at least that's the spin that will be put on it the way you guys are going about it.

marquee

Apr 7, 2011
Well he's showing he's not a 1b starter goaler. He'll get a job somewhere as a pure backup, he'd be fine backing up a stud goalie who is playing 60-70 games so a team like NJ, Nashville, NYR, Florida, etc.

Montreal has Budaj, also a guy who "infamously" flamed out of another team when he was put in a starting role he couldn't handle. When Price got injured a few weeks ago Budaj started I think 9 games and the Habs won about 2, like Reimer, Budaj killing them by consistently letting in softies. These guys are backups who should be playing 10-15 games a season against the weakest teams, and paid accordingly, should not be counted on to start 20-40.
Good comparison. Although budaj proved he could handle a starters work load. Its not as if the most games hes started was 37 games and people need to extrapolate numbers like they do reimer.

He had one solid season if i recall than injuries killed him. Didnt help theodore stole his job.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Good comparison. Although budaj proved he could handle a starters work load. Its not as if the most games hes started was 37 games and people need to extrapolate numbers like they do reimer.

He had one solid season if i recall than injuries killed him. Didnt help theodore stole his job.

I wouldn't say stole, simply outplayed him while his own game cracked.

Unfortunately the limits of Reimer as a backup are being exposed now at a critical time, he just can't handle a heavy workload, under heavy pressure. It's a cruel process when things are so critical but that's what happens when your #1 stud goalie goes down and you only have your low price backup left. Like I said the Habs just had to go through this for 3 weeks with Price out, it was ugly, lotsa softies, mostly losses in the results column.

I think the blame being heaped on Reimer is somewhat unseemly, it's not like he's being paid 6$ million to be a starter. This didn't happen to Budaj in Montreal during that recent stretch when they were losing with him in nets, people accepted his limits and most blame fell on the coach/team for not stepping up to compensate. Going nuts over the backup now is just not right, more focus should be on the team for mediocre performance in this difficult situation, their inability to step it up on the ice and shelter their goalie, or give him more goal support.

Reimer will get a job as a more limited backup for a well established goalie next season, within his capabilities and he'll do fine, and earn opportunities to regroup and prove he's more capable.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
It's funny seeing the same people who are saying "FIRE CARLYLE" in here saying "BLAME REIMER".

Make Reimer your scapegoat, and him being moved on in the off-season will be considered "fixing the problem" - or at least that's the spin that will be put on it the way you guys are going about it.

Why can't it be both?

Our defence needs to improve but James has to make saves when he's counted upon as well.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Potvin had a couple of losing seasons under his belt before another starter was brought in so a little different in that sense.

Yes where he was absolutely peppered and left out to dry repeatedly until he was no longer the goalie he once was...

Remind of you of anyone?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Why can't it be both?

Our defence needs to improve but James has to make saves when he's counted upon as well.

Because you can't have both.

You can't pin the blame on Reimer, but then justify firing the coach.

Reimer will get scapegoated, the club will wash their hands of him, and then act as if the problem has been taken care of - meanwhile, Carlyle will remain.

So no, you can't have both. It's either FIRE Carlyle now, or BLAME Reimer.

KLM-Line

May 8, 2007
Munich
The most striking feature of Reimer is his "happy-go-lucky" attitude whiches he oozes. I am sure that I will remember him for that.

His Optimus Reim handle made for some pretty cool GDTs. Other than that I considered him as a sort of solution but never THE solution. Bernier is a heck closer to become THE solution in net for the Leafs.

Concerning the chokes past and present I'd see Reimer as a part of the fold not the key component. People just like to single out scape goats and end up with the goaltender naturally as it is the most impactfull position. This whole team including the coaching staff has written "train wreck" on them! Reimer is on board right now but it never started nor will it end with him.

Personally I think Reimer will do fine enough if he accepts that his role is that of a 1b tandem goalie at best.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Maybe, you could say someone "pulled a Reimer." Or, I gotta go to the can and pinch out a "Reimer".

Either works.

dougy

Mar 31, 2007
That and the game 7 3rd period where he couldn't stop a beach ball. Choke.

less we forget he got them to game 7. The problem was the entire team not just him in that game and now. Toronto fans always seem to need that one player that they can crucify in order to appease their internal anger due to the teams long standing lack of success. Reimer is simply the latest sacrificial lamb.

Feb 24, 2004

Carlyle needs to go, for many different reasons.

James Reimer has a career save percentage of .913. He is not the issue.

Feb 24, 2004
Selected in the 4th Round - 99th Overall
Never had a GA below 2.66 in his Junior Career

Yet this is the guy that after more than a decade of losing - and losing HORRIBLY - that the Organization and its fans lives/dies buy. :shakehead

People still evaluate goaltenders by GAA?

Renegade

Jun 23, 2013
Pickering, ON
Difference is Reimer will go to another team and haunt us forever.

Watch him get traded to Winnipeg for virtually nothing and then take the Jets to the playoffs next year while the Leafs end up 10th again. I can 100% see this happening and I will feel good about it.

Reimer deserves better. Best goalie to wear a Leafs jersey since probably Ed Belfour. Until Bernier arrived at least.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

Watch him get traded to Winnipeg for virtually nothing and then take the Jets to the playoffs next year while the Leafs end up 10th again. I can 100% see this happening and I will feel good about it.

Reimer deserves better. Best goalie to wear a Leafs jersey since probably Ed Belfour. Until Bernier arrived at least.

Statements like this, really puzzle me. Why would it make you feel good? Also, does this mean Reimer can only do it every other year, because he sure had a chance to do it this year, right now with this team, but didn't.

Logo on the front, always always always trumps Name and Number on the Back.

Last edited:

Jer416

Oct 8, 2013
Ontario
Statements like this, really puzzle me. Why would it make you feel good? Also, does this mean Reimer can only do it every other year, because he sure had a chance to do it this year, right now with this team, but didn't.

Logo on the front, always always always trumps Name and Number on the Back.

Fixed :D But agreed, is this guy a Reimer fan or a Leafs fan?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Fixed :D But agreed, is this guy a Reimer fan or a Leafs fan?

LOL thank you.

I heard that the leafs (and a lot of other organizations) calculate chances/goals. ie - if you had X chances and had let in Y goals you get a Z result (but Loiselle/Poulin never really went more into depth than that).

so not .gaa or sv% either but i guess a blend of the two?

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011

What's wrong with rooting for both the Leafs and Reimer to succeed?

marquee

Apr 7, 2011
Way it sounds you believe reimer established himself as a starting temder in this league. This a guy whos had a backups workload since day one and has been fairly inconsistent.

He hasnt even had a strong stretch of games comparable to schnedier at points in his career. See what pr can do to a players perception?

Was sj this upset when toskala left lol...

spidergoalie

Aug 9, 2009
Kamloops, BC, Canada
I agree, save %age is obviously the real way to evaluate goalies. Heck I could strap on some pads and have a 1.99 GAA if I only had 15 shot against me.

And if all those shots were taken from the other teams blue line you might have a 1.000 save % too.

Save % is better than GAA, but it still not perfect because it counts all shots equally instead of taking into account the quality of the shots. As such even save % has an element of being a team stat. A team with a good D that keeps opponents to the outside should also result in a better save % for the goalie...and GAA. The same goalie could play for a team like the Leafs that routinely allows many high quality scoring opportunities and have a worse save %.

Another factor is that a goalie can influence how many shots he faces. A goalie who plays his angles well, has good controlled mobility, is adept at playing the puck and has excellent rebound control will face fewer shots, but the shots he does face may be tougher because they are more likely to be passing plays to put the goalie out of position. A goalie who plays deep, is not a good puck handler, and gives up a lot of rebounds will tend to face more shots, but more will be easy shots because the shooter sees more net, or is actually going for a rebound.

I really think many people place too much emphasis on stats in evaluating goaltenders. It is part of the picture for sure, and an important part, but it is more complex than that, and to really evaluate a goalie one has to watch them play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad