Will Pavel Zacha be given a qualifying offer?

Will Pavel Zacha be given a qualifying offer?

• Total voters

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Since people on the Trade boards and the Main board think the Devils won't qualify Zacha, I thought I'd ask the question.

It's simple, assuming he is still a Devil in the offseason, will they qualify him at 3 million?

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
CBA question, would NJ be able to trade him before qualifying him?
Yes.

Players get their qualifying offer after the draft, before free agency. If they sign it then they aren’t a RFA when free agency starts, it becomes a one year deal.

After they get the QO, potential RFAs can talk to other teams, to allow for offer sheets. If they don’t sign the QO by the start of free agency, then they’re RFAs.

Zacha can not sign and file for arbitration but he probably just takes the 3m.

IIRC, you can trade players after the TDL during the season, any added players can’t play in the playoffs for their new teams though.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Yes.

Players get their qualifying offer after the draft, before free agency. If they sign it then they aren’t a RFA when free agency starts, it becomes a one year deal.

After they get the QO, potential RFAs can talk to other teams, to allow for offer sheets. If they don’t sign the QO by the start of free agency, then they’re RFAs.

Zacha can not sign and file for arbitration but he probably just takes the 3m.

IIRC, you can trade players after the TDL during the season, any added players can’t play in the playoffs for their new teams though.

my guess is he goes to arbitration. What’s the downside? Do you see an arbitrator awarding him $2.5 million? Despite his shortcomings as a player his scoring is ok and “he doesn’t play hard all the time” is a poor argument in that setting even if we can see it over a long period of time an arbitrator almost certainly won’t think much beyond the quick and easy numbers. If he thinks he’s gone next year why not squeeze every possible nickel out of the team even if it’s more laborious or a bit disheartening to the player? On some level if I was his agent I would want him to hear the arbitration. A mercenary client is a good client for a sports agent.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
yeah i think they will qualify him, 20 goals is still worth $3m and the opportunity to trade at the deadline
Yeah, he’s definitely worth $3 million for one year going forward. My rationale has always been that he’s not worth a long term deal and definitely not nearly $4 million a year, which I feel like he’ll get at least that much on the UFA market, if he doesn’t bomb miserably next year.

So I see no reason to not qualify him.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
my guess is he goes to arbitration. What’s the downside? Do you see an arbitrator awarding him $2.5 million? Despite his shortcomings as a player his scoring is ok and “he doesn’t play hard all the time” is a poor argument in that setting even if we can see it over a long period of time an arbitrator almost certainly won’t think much beyond the quick and easy numbers. If he thinks he’s gone next year why not squeeze every possible nickel out of the team even if it’s more laborious or a bit disheartening to the player? On some level if I was his agent I would want him to hear the arbitration. A mercenary client is a good client for a sports agent.
I would have assumed that but his agent said he’s taking the QO. Perhaps he doesn’t want his market price set publicly by an arbitrator.

If Zacha’s agent is saying that now then he’s pushing for a trade. He would presumably also be satisfied with a very sizable contract offer from the Devils of course but that’s not likely to happen.

Arbitration lets older RFAs (or a team) set a hard deadline for negotiations, They file for it July 5th (or whatever the equivalent day is this year) and have a hearing in late July/early August. That still gives teams a reasonable amount of time to negotiate a deal or trade a player.

If Zacha signs the QO at the start of free agency, he not negotiating. I don’t know if that’s his stance for all teams (assuming that’s actually his stance).

Reactions: My3Sons

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I don't understand the argument from the trade board people of why we wouldn't qualify him. Don't you basically always qualify eligible RFAs, if only to retain their rights?

NJDfan86

Dec 29, 2021
I don't understand the argument from the trade board people of why we wouldn't qualify him. Don't you basically always qualify eligible RFAs, if only to retain their rights?

Probably going to extremes to show their belief that Zacha isn't worth anything in their eyes.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Probably going to extremes to show their belief that Zacha isn't worth anything in their eyes.

He’s worthless!

Also, I made up this trade idea where my team takes him as a reclamation project for a cap dump, a late pick, and a 25 year old AHL player who is definitely a quality NHL player, I promise.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
His qualifying offer is 1yr $3mil. He's easily worth that and its a no brainer to offer it.

Tatar just 'settled' for $4.5 and he's a lot less useful than Zacha.

Reactions: MakoSlade

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
He’s worthless!

Also, I made up this trade idea where my team takes him as a reclamation project for a cap dump, a late pick, and a 25 year old AHL player who is definitely a quality NHL player, I promise.
If we play our cards right we could get Tucker Poolman AND Alex Chaisson.

Something to shoot for now that a trade has made Severson for Nick Ritchie/Justin Holl/Toronto 1st 2022 an impossibility.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad