Will Montoya **** The Bed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Pepper said:
No offense but you still keep showing absolutely no respect to any opinion differing from yours.

Would you care to enlighten me with a detailed analysis of the pros and cons of Al Montoya and Cory Schneider? You don't have that ability, and neither does Hablover. If calling attention to that is showing a lack of respect, then so be it.

Last edited:

crossxcheck

Nov 17, 2003
Nashvegas
HabLover said:
Well, his numbers are sure a hell of a lot better than Montoya this year in the NCAA, so maybe he should get the starts?

quite easy to fall back on stats, but they're only a small part of the picture. You've got to look at the role the goalie plays, his defense, his ability to make clutch saves, etc. I don't think you'll find anyone who would agree with you that schneider is better than montoya. especially going on stats alone.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
No offense, but that perspective shows a distinct lack of understanding of both goaltender's role this year and their overall ability.

It's not a lack of understanding, someone was asking/hoping Schneider would play and I just gave a reason to why he should or could play in the tourney. Do I think he should get the start(s) over Montoya, ummmm.....probably not! :eek:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
HabLover said:
It's not a lack of understanding, someone was asking/hoping Schneider would play and I just gave a reason to why he should or could play in the tourney. Do I think he should get the start(s) over Montoya, ummmm.....probably not! :eek:

Misleading. You said Schneider's stats are much better than Montoya's, which they are, but he's played far fewer games and has a much differant role. Schneider in no way, shape, or form deserves to be the starter. He'll be on the bench unless Montoya falls apart or worse.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
Would you care to enlighten me with a detailed analysis of the pros and cons of Al Montoya and Cory Schneider? You don't have that ability, and neither does Hablover. If calling attention to that is showing a lack of respect, then so be it.

You just don't get it!!!

Your opinion is the ultimate truth, those opinions that differ from it are nothing but wishful thinking right? lmao, you're so blind in your selfcentered arrogance that it's not even funny.

We have seen the reports made by better hockey analysts than you so just because you have seen them live doesn't make you any more of an expert than the others who have written those reports. Get off your high horse for god's sake!

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Funkymoses said:
Montoya's actually been playing pretty poorly this year. Lots of soft goals being let in. He doesn't seem particularly focused, which has always been an issue for him. If he gets his head into the game he'll be fine.

Sorry, your opinion & analysis conflicts with Rabid Ranger so it is hereby deemed invalid. He's the ultimate truth when it comes to those two so your opinion is pretty much worthless.

gretzky99

I hope Montoya falls a part and Schneider is the Hero, letting in no goals except for One goal (Canada's goal). As Canada will beat USA. :)

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Vlad The Impaler said:
I didn't like the game I saw this year from him. I much prefer Montoya.

Care to be more specific? I'd be interested in the perspective of someone who has actually seen him. I hope he plays for that very reason ;) C'mon, hamstring pull!

...but yeah, he's the backup of his team playing behind one of the best goalies in the NCAA. He's exceeded my expectations, as I had hoped for about 10 games out of him this season.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Burke's Evil Spirit said:
Care to be more specific? I'd be interested in the perspective of someone who has actually seen him. I hope he plays for that very reason ;) C'mon, hamstring pull!

...but yeah, he's the backup of his team playing behind one of the best goalies in the NCAA. He's exceeded my expectations, as I had hoped for about 10 games out of him this season.

He's had a good year statisically, but hasn't seen a ton of action. It's rare for a freshman goaltender to do so anyway, so anything out of Schneider this year is a bonus IMO. He should be the starter for next year's squad in Vancouver, which is pretty neat since he's a Canucks' draft-pick.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Burke's Evil Spirit said:
Care to be more specific? I'd be interested in the perspective of someone who has actually seen him.

Saw him only once, so that's not really fair to judge him. Have seen Montoya several times this year alone + a last year.

Montoya is really good, IMO. He's solid all-around. But I guess you know that :)

Schneider was just as advertised in one respect: very raw.

He was counting on his reflexes the whole game and they weren't all that sharp if you ask me. He's not as quick as I had heard, same for his recovery after saves, which needs work. He covered his angles decently for a guy who stayed deep in his net but that was my first problem with him. His team was absolutely dominating that night and he stayed deep as if a line of Tkachuk, Thornton and Bertuzzi was driving toward him the whole game.

He has a nice stance in net. He could obviously learn how to cover a great deal of the net in a Blackburn way (to refer to another youngster) if he was just a little more proactive in challenging guys and getting back.

I wouldn't say he has big confidence issues or anything but he was noticably shakier as the game went on. For a long while, the other team was shut down (more because Schneider's teammates really were flying) but he just became shakier and started letting in some rather weak goals.

I just felt he was the opposite of a Montoya.

Schneider does live up to the billing of being the "4th in a deep goaltending crop", IMO. But he needs a lot of work. In a good draft I don't think he would have gone 1st round.

I guess I was disappointed because he was a little slower than I expected from what I had read. The rest is ok but needs too much work for him to overtake Montoya right now. So I would think if this game is in any way representative of Schneider, the #1 spot is Montoya's to lose.

I would think there are years where he might have had a better chance. But not with this competition. The US will have a solid team and will count on Montoya, IMO. As for Schneider, I would expect a long road to the NHL, if he ever makes it. It's not that he isn't a good goaltender but as I say sometimes: the quality of goaltending in this league is at such a all-time high and the prospects are numerous. There's nothing in this guy that screams "he's going to be a good one" to me. But I recognize some potential in there.

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
Reveille said:
The USA gets no love. What do we have to do? Win it again? 3 times more?

Oh, I forgot. The teams we play lose the games. We don't win them.

Unfortunatley, yes. If the tourney wasn't decided the way it was, and the Americans had scored a different way, I don't think you would hear any of the Canada lost the game, the Americans didn't win it BS. If you win it again this year, I don't expect anyone to be shooting off their mouths, but this is a HF board after all. :D

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Vlad The Impaler said:
Saw him only once, so that's not really fair to judge him. Have seen Montoya several times this year alone + a last year.

Montoya is really good, IMO. He's solid all-around. But I guess you know that :)

Schneider was just as advertised in one respect: very raw.

He was counting on his reflexes the whole game and they weren't all that sharp if you ask me. He's not as quick as I had heard, same for his recovery after saves, which needs work. He covered his angles decently for a guy who stayed deep in his net but that was my first problem with him. His team was absolutely dominating that night and he stayed deep as if a line of Tkachuk, Thornton and Bertuzzi was driving toward him the whole game.

He has a nice stance in net. He could obviously learn how to cover a great deal of the net in a Blackburn way (to refer to another youngster) if he was just a little more proactive in challenging guys and getting back.

I wouldn't say he has big confidence issues or anything but he was noticably shakier as the game went on. For a long while, the other team was shut down (more because Schneider's teammates really were flying) but he just became shakier and started letting in some rather weak goals.

I just felt he was the opposite of a Montoya.

Schneider does live up to the billing of being the "4th in a deep goaltending crop", IMO. But he needs a lot of work. In a good draft I don't think he would have gone 1st round.

I guess I was disappointed because he was a little slower than I expected from what I had read. The rest is ok but needs too much work for him to overtake Montoya right now. So I would think if this game is in any way representative of Schneider, the #1 spot is Montoya's to lose.

I would think there are years where he might have had a better chance. But not with this competition. The US will have a solid team and will count on Montoya, IMO. As for Schneider, I would expect a long road to the NHL, if he ever makes it. It's not that he isn't a good goaltender but as I say sometimes: the quality of goaltending in this league is at such a all-time high and the prospects are numerous. There's nothing in this guy that screams "he's going to be a good one" to me. But I recognize some potential in there.

You make some interesting observations, but I think it's difficult to make a proper assessment of Schneider's game based on one viewing. You're also ignoring the fact he's a freshman, and rarely do freshman goaltenders start in the NCAA, so his game will seem a bit raw the first year. He obviously made a big enough impression on the Canucks and the U.S. brass, and he has put up good numbers this year, which wasn't the only criteria used anyway. If that was the case, a guy like Joe Fallon or Gerald Coleman would have been named to the team.

Last edited:

RoyIsALegend*

I'm not an American, nor do I cheer Team USA at any competition, but to doubt that Al Montoya will be at his best is foolish. I fully expect the Americans to get the necessary goaltending to go deep in the tournament.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
hey vlad...I seem to see varying reports on how montoya is doing this year.

I see some people say he's very shakey and isn't playing well at all (and the stats would bear that out) and I see other people say he's playing well but his team is giving him troubles.

it seems to me that michigan is a bit of an odd team this year...they can be a very good team but have a lot of lapses as well...they dominate the offensive end so much and don't allow a lot of shots, and then when they do let the other teams get shots, they sometimes hang montoya out to dry. would it be fair to say montoya isn't getting a ton of help on the defensive end of things? or is he really just not performing up to the level he should be at this year?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Levitate said:

I see some people say he's very shakey and isn't playing well at all (and the stats would bear that out) and I see other people say he's playing well but his team is giving him troubles.

it seems to me that michigan is a bit of an odd team this year...they can be a very good team but have a lot of lapses as well...they dominate the offensive end so much and don't allow a lot of shots, and then when they do let the other teams get shots, they sometimes hang montoya out to dry. would it be fair to say montoya isn't getting a ton of help on the defensive end of things? or is he really just not performing up to the level he should be at this year?

To put it simply, Montoya is playing as well as his team is, which is good enough to win, but not at top form. Montoya really hasn't had to be top-notch this year because Michigan scores so many goals. Yet, when called on to make a game-saving save, he does it. I think he'll carry that ability to the NHL. Not a great goaltender statistically (relatively speaking), but someone who is a winner. Mike Richter was like that.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Levitate said:

It's a mix of both but I see what you mean with conflicting reports. I can tell you I've seen some bad breaks that were just luck. Like Montoya not being able to move at all because a guy was right in his net. Small accidents.

He's not been stellar, IMO. Neither has his team. But he is a great goalie and I'll tell you, I really like this team. He gets the support of some talented, mature teammates. I like some of the forwards particularly.

Anyway, Montoya has been drafted in part because of skills, in part because he is a winner and in small part because of his puckhandling. I think he lives up to this billing. He's really sound in net, IMO. He rose up in big game situations last year at the WJC and this year probably is top 3 in wins among college goalies (I haven't checked too closely but I think he is tied for the lead as far as I can tell). His team is winning a lot so far.

So all in all, I think he's doing well but could be better.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
i think i heard last week or so that he was leading the league in wins, but he could have been in a tie or it might have changed since then, dunno

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Reveille said:
No offense, but I don't even see how much weaker the defense is on paper.

Suter - Still the same.
Likens - Still the same.
Hunwick - Still the same.
Lee - Relative unknown, really.
Borer - VERY defensively sound and solid with the puck, but gets little respect since he plays for a smaller school.
Goligoski - Should easily replace Richmond.
Hagemo - The "Wisniewski" of the group - a workhorse who hits like a tank and loves to.

The only real wildcard there would be Lee.

...and Lee was chosen over Jack Johnson(personally dont agree, but whatever). Also, Mr. Lee is 6'3 202lbs, and is considered a puck-moving defenseman. Many believe he will be a first rounder in the draft this year. Lee is no slouch.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
It's all about the puck.

If d-men are fast enough to get to the puck quick and skilled enough to make a good first pass, then that nullifies a forecheck. If d-men know how to play well positionally, then that counters the rush.

Sure, they may give up a few one-on-one surges, but the scoring opportunities generated from going through d-men are of lesser quality.

As long as the players are tough, size on d won't win or lose the tourney for the U.S., but an effective transition game and powerplay might win it for them.

theCRAZYman

Dec 18, 2004
Xcel Energy Center
Montoya will be fine.. he is one of the best goaltending prospects in the world. Probably the best goaltender in the tourney. No need to worry, American hockey fans. :)

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
VanIslander said:
It's all about the puck.

If d-men are fast enough to get to the puck quick and skilled enough to make a good first pass, then that nullifies a forecheck. If d-men know how to play well positionally, then that counters the rush.

Sure, they may give up a few one-on-one surges, but the scoring opportunities generated from going through d-men are of lesser quality.

As long as the players are tough, size on d won't win or lose the tourney for the U.S., but an effective transition game and powerplay might win it for them.

I totally agree with your take on the situation. If the U.S. defense can manage an effective transistion game, and don't continually get bogged down in their own zone I think we'll have a great chance at a medal, maybe even gold.

Superfluous U

Jan 15, 2004
At a Stone Prison on a Hill
Rabid Ranger said:
I totally agree with your take on the situation. If the U.S. defense can manage an effective transistion game, and don't continually get bogged down in their own zone I think we'll have a great chance at a medal, maybe even gold.

There you go... Calmed right down. Now count to 10...

Just joking, I just think its funny how defensive you get as the stalwart advocate of Team USA's defense. Over the last couple of weeks, your fuse has gotten shorter and shorter... Not saying you don't have good reason, but responding to every single comment has got to be just exhausting. :D

I do agree with you though. As long as the Americans can get their transition game going, they'll be fine. If their opponents can send some big bodies with speed to pressure them, they might get in a little trouble. Should be interesting anyway.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Superfluous U said:
There you go... Calmed right down. Now count to 10...

Just joking, I just think its funny how defensive you get as the stalwart advocate of Team USA's defense. Over the last couple of weeks, your fuse has gotten shorter and shorter... Not saying you don't have good reason, but responding to every single comment has got to be just exhausting. :D

I do agree with you though. As long as the Americans can get their transition game going, they'll be fine. If their opponents can send some big bodies with speed to pressure them, they might get in a little trouble. Should be interesting anyway.

I was just agreeing with his take on the U.S. defense. For the record, I think the defense is the potential Achilles' Heal of the U.S. team, and if they're not firing on all cylinders will cost us a medal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad