Will McDavid ever win a Cup in Edmonton?

Will McDavid ever win a Cup in Edmonton?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I'm torn, on one hand there's almost no precedent of a player of his caliber not winning one with his drafted team. But on the other, the Oilers are just so inept at surroudning him with pieces and their needs and as an organization, to the point that I think it's a possibility. Jack Campbell, their latest blunder....

Current contract runs for 3 more years after this, you'll have to use your imagination if he re-signs and if so, does he eventually win one.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
He had the best run I've ever seen last year, better than Malkin in 09. And they still got swept in the WCF

I don't see it with the way their roster is setup and the management they have

tabness

be a playa
Apr 4, 2014
no and he knew it all along

1670124066025.jpeg

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
He can win one here but not with Ken Holland as GM. Ken Holland is so bad that if he took over the Colorado Avalanche in 2019 their current defense would probably be Makar/Girard/Barrie/Ristolainen/Johnson/Nemeth

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
They could get a kings ransom for him, obviously you don't give up on the guy/plan right now, but if by the last year of his contract it seems unlikely he re-signs it may be best to move him. They can possibly get a Lindros trade type of return for him, that package in itself may be good enough to help them win a cup. As of right now it seems unlikely, management is just horrible.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Not in the next 2-3 years.

The current roster is too flawed and dependent on heroics. But if he re-signs, I could see a good GM helping them build a somewhat good contending roster.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
They could get a kings ransom for him, obviously you don't give up on the guy/plan right now, but if by the last year of his contract it seems unlikely he re-signs it may be best to move him. They can possibly get a Lindros trade type of return for him, that package in itself may be good enough to help them win a cup. As of right now it seems unlikely, management is just horrible.

Holland doesn't do trades

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
He had the best run I've ever seen last year, better than Malkin in 09. And they still got swept in the WCF

I don't see it with the way their roster is setup and the management they have
Lol. Malkin was playing with Fedotenko and Talbot, plus the Penguins actually played defense.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Lol. Malkin was playing with Fedotenko and Talbot, plus the Penguins actually played defense.
Yeah these guys don't realize that the nhl circa 08-09 was much different then it is now. It was a much tougher league as well. Only crosby malkin and ovechkin were scoring 100 points. 90 points was making you a star player. Now with the decrease of goalie equipment. 3v3. Barely any fighting over even hitting the game has opened up greatly. Last years wcf felt more like a series of pond hockey. The league is purely run and gun right now. No doubt a 2009 malkin was a much better po run

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Yeah these guys don't realize that the nhl circa 08-09 was much different then it is now. It was a much tougher league as well. Only crosby malkin and ovechkin were scoring 100 points. 90 points was making you a star player. Now with the decrease of goalie equipment. 3v3. Barely any fighting over even hitting the game has opened up greatly. Last years wcf felt more like a series of pond hockey. The league is purely run and gun right now. No doubt a 2009 malkin was a much better po run

Pond hockey? That was game 1. Game 2 was actually a shutout. So based on this, you watched game 1 only and decided to make this characterization.

Good job. :thumbd:

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Subpar D, not much depth, Campbell (who has only ever seen the first round) signed for the next 5 years... I'd say the chances are slim to none.

The poll is missing a "Hell No!" option.

Last edited:

Mar 26, 2010
Heck No. The Oilers are trash. Without McDavid they are basement dwellers.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Every generational player has won a Cup.
But I just don’t see how Edmonton goes from their current team to a Cup winner as they’ve been spinning their wheels since McDavid got there. They still have too many holes: a weak D group in their own zone, poor depth and subpar goaltending. Holland hasn’t managed to address any of those although he has built an excellent top 6.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
If McDrai plays like they did last year and the rest of the team plays even decently then they’ll win

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
No. He’ll leave in free agency if he hasn’t won one by the time his current deal is expiring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad