Will Lindholm Resign ??

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Pettersson is an RFA this off-season, so theoretically the Canucks could wait for next season to sign him to an extension.

It would be 'risky'......but it would give them the financial flexibility to sign both Lindholm and Zadorov.

Although Allvin insists they have enough room under the cap to sign both Pettersson and Lindholm to extensions. One thing is for sure.......this is going to be a huge off-season for the Canucks who will have nine impending UFA's.

rea

Feb 8, 2011
I just can't see this being anything but a rental. If the fortunes favor the Canucks, and they win the cup, chances are he's played a role which will up his value beyond what anyone probably assumes, thus pricing the team out. If the team fails their mission, he probably didn't add enough to the team in gameplay to add positive value to keep him at the suspected asking price.

I think everyone should just really enjoy the ride this year with the team, because no matter how it ends, this team will have quite the changeover next year and no guarantees such a run exists within a different groups team chemistry.

Even if we didnt sign him, ultimately the majority of Canucks fans wouldn't be sad w the price paid, because for the first time in a long time, they paid said price when it actually was deserved and expected, opposed to trying to limp in and hope for the anything can happen in the playoffs

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
At some point you do need to try to go for it. Hanging onto first rounders at the TDL from pick 23 onwards like the team did back in 2009-2013 did nothing for the franchise. At some point you have to bold enough to make a move to fill a big need.
Hunter Shinkaruk, Brendan Gaunce, Nik Jensen, Schroeder, McCann

Boom proved you wrong. So many great players there that we developed well and totally didn't trade away for nothing.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Assuming Lindholm continues to fit in well, what are people’s thoughts on trying to move Boeser in the offseason after his big year and using part of that money to sign Lindholm if it’s a decent price? I do worry about Lindholm long term and I’m happy that Boeser is having a big year, but Boeser still has so many games where he just doesn’t drive play and can still have his struggles defensively. Lindholm is simply a more versatile player and does so much more outside of scoring goals. Garland does as well, and I’d hate to move him either to make room for Lindholm. Both of them simply make the team harder to play against than Boes.

Boeser is younger, but he’ll be 27 soon and I doubt he’ll age well after 30, and unless he has a poor year next year, is going to want a raise. I don’t want any part of a Boeser deal after this one that isn’t super team friendly.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Looking at the small sample ? Would you resign him ?? I would sign him to 5years 40 million in a heart beat

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
I haven't noticed him at all, outside of his goals. For the right price, that could be a good thing.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
Looking at the small sample ? Would you resign him ?? I would sign him to 5years 40 million in a heart beat
He's 29...had a few really good years, a couple of ok years without good linemates...cap going up...it's close but I right now I wouldn't. It's tricky obviously, at this year pace he is 5 years and maybe 7 million but if he goes on heater he prices himself off our team.

Glad it's Alvin and JR'S problem.

I would do 5 @ 7 no problem, 8 at this point seems high FOR OUR TEAM since he is an extra piece, not a core piece.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
He's 29...had a few really good years, a couple of ok years without good linemates...cap going up...it's close but I right now I wouldn't. It's tricky obviously, at this year pace he is 5 years and maybe 7 million but if he goes on heater he prices himself off our team.

Glad it's Alvin and JR'S problem.

I would do 5 @ 7 no problem, 8 at this point seems high FOR OUR TEAM since he is an extra piece, not a core piece.

I think this is the issue. I'm a big fan of the player myself. He's not a 1C on a contender unless he's on a line with elite wingers. Given JT Miller's ability to drive offense, Lindholm is below Miller IMO. But Lindholm is a star player who is better playing with star players and makes star players better. There's value in that. He's also going to turn 30 next season (meaning an extension comes at Miller's age).

If he's willing to sign for 5 years, I would give him $7M no problem. Even closer to $8M. But it would be difficult for this team to give him the same contract as Miller.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Lind.PNG

Looks like he enjoys being here and Demko and EP are fans

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
I think this is the issue. I'm a big fan of the player myself. He's not a 1C on a contender unless he's on a line with elite wingers. Given JT Miller's ability to drive offense, Lindholm is below Miller IMO. But Lindholm is a star player who is better playing with star players and makes star players better. There's value in that. He's also going to turn 30 next season (meaning an extension comes at Miller's age).

If he's willing to sign for 5 years, I would give him $7M no problem. Even closer to $8M. But it would be difficult for this team to give him the same contract as Miller.
I'd give him the exact same contract Miller got. Last few years will be ugly but by that time I don't think Nucks will be contending anyways and can restart the rebuit. He massively helps our chances at a cup the next 3-4 years.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Lindholm has a very high Hockey IQ and skates very well.

He will be a useful player throughout his extension however long it is.

Reactions: Indiana

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Pettersson is an RFA this off-season, so theoretically the Canucks could wait for next season to sign him to an extension.

It would be 'risky'......but it would give them the financial flexibility to sign both Lindholm and Zadorov.

Although Allvin insists they have enough room under the cap to sign both Pettersson and Lindholm to extensions. One thing is for sure.......this is going to be a huge off-season for the Canucks who will have nine impending UFA's.

That would be a bad decision. Pettersson is not stupid - he's seen this play out multiple times. The qualifying offer rules only bind you for one additional season, and then he would walk to UFA and the highest bidder.

No chance that happens. It will be the Tkachuk Trade 2.0 before he goes into next season without a contract. Ideally you get something done before you resign Zadorov and/or Lindholm, otherwise you put yourself in a bind and other teams will drop their offers for Pettersson.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That would be a bad decision. Pettersson is not stupid - he's seen this play out multiple times. The qualifying offer rules only bind you for one additional season, and then he would walk to UFA and the highest bidder.

No chance that happens. It will be the Tkachuk Trade 2.0 before he goes into next season without a contract. Ideally you get something done before you resign Zadorov and/or Lindholm, otherwise you put yourself in a bind and other teams will drop their offers for Pettersson.
Unlike 2021 when JB made the OEL deal, the season for the Canucks ended well in advance of that. But, the Canucks/Petey/Hughes couldn't come to an agreement before that trade went down in the 2 months they had between not making the PO and that OEL trade.

This season will be shorter than that for Petey's reps. If all goes well for the Canucks, it would be like 2 weeks to go before July. But, he has more leverage with the 1 year remaining til UFA.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I really think if Allvin is serious about bringing Lindholm back, he'll find a way. They're losing Myers salary at the end of the season, and the cap is going up by $4m or so.

But I really think he's insurance, in case Petey declines to sign in the off-season and heads into his UFA season without a contract.

Looking at the rest of the roster, the logical 'trade' candidates to free up cap space are Boeser and Garland. Both are wingers, while Lindholm is a more valuable center and has a better two-way game.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Someone has to go. The cap hits of Petey, Hronek and Myers combine for $18 mill this season. The first 2 alone next season will combine for that plus there’s a $2 mill in dead cap from OEL. If the $2 mill left from the cap increase need a roster player to take a Dman spot and whatever left mover there is may still be needed to pay Petey and Hronek.

So someone like a Boeser, Garland or Mik has to go realistically.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
To be honest... i dont even care, and i dont know why anyone cares.
Petersson is No.1 Priority..so you cant do anything with Lindholm until Petey is figured out.
Also, guy has played just a few games with us and we have THE PLAYOFFS coming... you dont think his performance will determine if we want to sign him? or will he even WANT to resign?

Resigning him as a question today is so pointless and irrelevant it doesn't even warrant discussion. His regular season, Playoffs, and Petey's decision will all need to unfold first...

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The big question to me is whether or not Pettersson wants to re-sign in Vancouver. The Canucks have already stated they want him back, and will do whatever it takes to get his signature on the dotted line.

So if he isn't signed by the start of training camp in September, it's either because they're too far apart on money; or Pettersson wants to test free agency.

The problem is that Lindholm can walk in July 1st for nothing. So if there's even a chance that Pettersson isn't back, they pretty well have to sign Lindholm as insurance at the center position.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Someone has to go. The cap hits of Petey, Hronek and Myers combine for $18 mill this season. The first 2 alone next season will combine for that plus there’s a $2 mill in dead cap from OEL. If the $2 mill left from the cap increase need a roster player to take a Dman spot and whatever left mover there is may still be needed to pay Petey and Hronek.

So someone like a Boeser, Garland or Mik has to go realistically.
Mik will be the one who goes

Reactions: Jovofan

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Garland will also be gone next season.
I could see all three gone. It you can get Guentzel you can clear that is $16.35. Lets you sign Lindholm and Guentzel and bring in Pod, your probably around $1m short but it’s manageable and the team is significantly stronger IMO. Lindholm is better defensively the Mik and puts up more points. Guentzel is more Consistent that Boeser and puts up more points and while the drop off from Garland to Pod is substantial, your still better off overall.

This is before you consider the assets you could recover by trading the three.

I doubt it. The team can't afford to lose Garland. He's too crucial to the bottom 6. He's the straw that stirs the drink of the team's secondary scoring. He's a play driver. Losing him would be awful.
He is just too expensive to be in the bottom 6. It’s fine this year but it will be to much to manage next year and strip to much depth.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I doubt it. The team can't afford to lose Garland. He's too crucial to the bottom 6. He's the straw that stirs the drink of the team's secondary scoring. He's a play driver. Losing him would be awful.
In the off season they will attempt to move him and replace him with a cheaper player. Which is no more risky then the risk you take keeping him and hoping he is just as good next season.

Reactions: oceanchild

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Assuming Lindholm continues to fit in well, what are people’s thoughts on trying to move Boeser in the offseason after his big year and using part of that money to sign Lindholm if it’s a decent price? I do worry about Lindholm long term and I’m happy that Boeser is having a big year, but Boeser still has so many games where he just doesn’t drive play and can still have his struggles defensively. Lindholm is simply a more versatile player and does so much more outside of scoring goals. Garland does as well, and I’d hate to move him either to make room for Lindholm. Both of them simply make the team harder to play against than Boes.

Boeser is younger, but he’ll be 27 soon and I doubt he’ll age well after 30, and unless he has a poor year next year, is going to want a raise. I don’t want any part of a Boeser deal after this one that isn’t super team friendly.
I would likely do it.

Again... I were so sure he was getting traded this year when he had the incredibly hot start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad