Will Kyle Connor be ready for the 2016-17 NHL Season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Agree. No rush to get all our prime rooks in at once. While I'm not keen on putting him back in Michigan, I'd rather he learn it in the minors (in this case the NCAA) than to learn it as a 19 year old NHLer. Give him a shot at the C, with a new coach and new linemates in Michigan -- it won't kill him or us to wait a year

Michigan has a new AD. Berenson retiring is just speculation. It was reported the two would meet after the season and discuss the future.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I think Connor will have a harder time adapting to the NHL. At this point I think Petan or Dano or even Armia might be a bit ahead. Still, I'd love to see him with the Jets, even if it takes a while for him to adjust.

I don't want Petan, Armia or Dano in the top 6.either - not unless they improve by a pile. They haven't passed Stafford yet.

Unless Connor (or a top pick from this draft) comes in and dominates, I expect a bad team.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Something that I don't see getting much attention in this (or similar) debate is that when college players who could play NHL choose to stay in school they are sacrificing a year of their NHL careers that can not be made up later. If their NHL career is going to last until they are 35 that is not going to change. So at 20 they can choose to have a 15 year career or stay in school and have a 14 year career. If their avg. earnings for 15 years is going to be 4 mil then they will be giving up 4 mil. That is without any consideration for details like time to UFA or length of ELC. Nothing complicated requiring financial expertise. It is very straightforward.

Runforthecup

Sponsor
Nov 10, 2013
Calgary, CW Bay
Think season 2017-2018.

LW-Connor is a sniper. (ie Mike Bossy of my generation)
C-Petan is a playmaker (Trottier?)
RW- need big. Lowry? Armia? Laine?

If I thought he was available I would trade our two first round choices for Laine.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
First reliable report that Connor and the Jets are talking.

http://mihockeynow.com/2016/03/while-big-name-wolverines-ponder-returning-so-too-does-red-berenson/

Michigan’s season came to a close this past weekend when the Wolverines fell to North Dakota 5-2 in the Midwest Regional Final. Berenson’s decision is one of many involving the Michigan program to watch, as the famed ‘CCM Line’ of Kyle Connor, JT Compher and Tyler Motte are all speaking with the NHL teams that drafted them. Defensemen Zach Werenski and Michael Downing have already announced their signings with their respective NHL clubs, and Berenson reminded the media Tuesday afternoon that there are always surprises this time of year, too.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
First reliable report that Connor and the Jets are talking.

http://mihockeynow.com/2016/03/while-big-name-wolverines-ponder-returning-so-too-does-red-berenson/

Michigan’s season came to a close this past weekend when the Wolverines fell to North Dakota 5-2 in the Midwest Regional Final. Berenson’s decision is one of many involving the Michigan program to watch, as the famed ‘CCM Line’ of Kyle Connor, JT Compher and Tyler Motte are all speaking with the NHL teams that drafted them. Defensemen Zach Werenski and Michael Downing have already announced their signings with their respective NHL clubs, and Berenson reminded the media Tuesday afternoon that there are always surprises this time of year, too.

You mean my report weeks ago isn't reliable. :(:(:(

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
noo. why pull an edmonton?

How is this pulling an Edmonton?

Connor is ready.

Pulling an Edmonton would be:
* drafting for needs instead of BPA for best players, while thinking your needs are "big" and "gritty"
* not accumulating draft picks when tanking
* not conducting proper asset management of expiring players/contracts
* tank in some of the weakest years for top draft talent (ex: PCS takes Yakupov 1st OA in his draft but he's a 4-7 in most drafts if you compare his PCS to other years<obv not McDavid though>)
* sign ****ty vets like Ference for their intangibles instead of acquiring good players

I think so few people know where Edmonton actually failed.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Too lazy to check my HF history to link that post here. :P

Ya just bugging mostly. That said, my Jets Nation thing about what to do with Connor does not include an option of him going back to the NCAA for a reason. ;)

Its obvious he's ready. The question is when is he signing, now with contract starting next season? Id love to see on ATO with Moose to finish the year if it's not the Jets.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Something that I don't see getting much attention in this (or similar) debate is that when college players who could play NHL choose to stay in school they are sacrificing a year of their NHL careers that can not be made up later. If their NHL career is going to last until they are 35 that is not going to change. So at 20 they can choose to have a 15 year career or stay in school and have a 14 year career. If their avg. earnings for 15 years is going to be 4 mil then they will be giving up 4 mil. That is without any consideration for details like time to UFA or length of ELC. Nothing complicated requiring financial expertise. It is very straightforward.

It's a natural thought process but far too many late teen, early twenty individuals think that mid 30s is old. Hardly. I finished my last graduate degree at 34, am eyeing up retirement in less than ten years and in that relatively short span of time have assembled a very comfortable retirement plan. That's without the advantage of a 10-15 year run being paid millions of dollars as a professional hockey player. There is ample time to go back and finish a degree after an NHL career, let alone doing summer courses over an expanded period of time if it's really that important.

I assume kids like Connor carry a hefty insurance policy to protect against career ending injuries. If they don't, they are quite foolish. Staying to play at Michigan for another year might seem like a good idea (I want to hang with my buds and party the college lifestyle one more year) from certain perspectives but ultimately it's not the smart choice.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Why do I get the feeling that the entire CCM line will stay in Michigan? Try and win a championship together. If one leaves, they all leave.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
I don't want Petan, Armia or Dano in the top 6.either - not unless they improve by a pile. They haven't passed Stafford yet.

Unless Connor (or a top pick from this draft) comes in and dominates, I expect a bad team.

What is your threshold for bad? Is it simply missing the playoffs, or is it more like this season? From some perspectives bad might be an improvement

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
Perreault-Little-Stafford
Dano-Lowry / Burmi - Armia
Lowry / Burmi - Copp - etc.

I don't think that's a "bad team".

Better goaltending and better special teams seem within reach.

But time will tell.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Why do I get the feeling that the entire CCM line will stay in Michigan? Try and win a championship together. If one leaves, they all leave.

Motte and Compher have atleast some incentive, to stay another year and hit UFA although in Compher's case he probably has an easier road making the Avs than most teams in the NHL.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Motte and Compher have atleast some incentive, to stay another year and hit UFA although in Compher's case he probably has an easier road making the Avs than most teams in the NHL.

Even if they go back for another year they are still most likely to sign with the teams that own their rights. Vesey is unusual.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
Perreault-Little-Stafford
Dano-Lowry / Burmi - Armia
Lowry / Burmi - Copp - etc.

I don't think that's a "bad team".

Better goaltending and better special teams seem within reach.

But time will tell.

That line-up looks unproven at best, but more than likely bad to me.

Lowry and Burmi on the 3rd line - etc. On the 4th. Worse than this year's forward group. Esh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig