will Jarome Iginla return to Calgary before he retires

Flamester

Aug 9, 2011
calgary
lets say he wins his cup in boston this year, will he return to calgary knowing he achieved his goal, or will he just keep signing with other teams? i personally feel he will come back to calgary when he wins his cup. so if he get his cup in boston this year he will return to calgary next year.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Id like him to win a cup and then come back and mentor guys like Jankowski, Mohanan, Gaudrea, Baertschi, Knight, etc.

We really don't have any established, legitimate all-stars or someone who knows what it takes to play the game at a high level, except for Cammy who could be traded.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
no. i dont want him back as a player tbh. id love him to join conroy in management someday

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Jarome Iginla will re-sign with the Flames on July 1st, 2017. He will sign a 1 year contract to play ihs final NHL season in Calgary.

Heading into the post-season the current captain will hand over the "C" to Iginla and Iginla will score a vital goal in game 6 of the finals and hoist the cup for the first time in his career.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
He'll retire a Flame, but probably on a 1-day contract like Modano.

I'm sure he'd only sign a full year contract with us if he expected his last year before retirement was the season after winning a cup. If he doesn't win a cup, he doesn't play for the Flames again.

I'm hoping he wins with the Bruins this year (maybe their last year as a serious contender?), then plays the 2014/2015 season with us, then hangs them up. I don't want him slipping away into obscurity only getting pity minutes on a 4th line somewhere. Finish a season with 50 points and a cup and call it a Hall of Fame career with his jersey retired first home game of Oct 2015.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
IF he wanted back after winning a cup, I would bring him back, but he wouldn't have the roll on the team he once had. Likely 2nd/3rd line minutes, and would give him an A.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
No.
Never want to see him in a Flames jersey as a player again .

Just because he left for a chance to try and win a cup isn't a reason to hate the guy. Ray Bourque left the Bruins for Colorado to try and win a cup and succeeded. It's every players childhood dream, and loyalty to a team usually is behind winning the cup in the list of lifetime dream priorities.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Just because he left for a chance to try and win a cup isn't a reason to hate the guy. Ray Bourque left the Bruins for Colorado to try and win a cup and succeeded. It's every players childhood dream, and loyalty to a team usually is behind winning the cup in the list of lifetime dream priorities.

Not to mention that staying wouldn't have helped the team in any way going forward. He did the right thing for himself and for the Flames. Additionally, he held on as long as he could with the Flames, right down to the year his contract was up. There was trade talk surrounding Iginla for each of the two prior seasons, and he wouldn't hear of it as long as there was a chance he could win with the Flames. There is no reason to think ill of Iginla at all, in my opinion.

Rockmorton

Oct 26, 2011
Little to no chance

After watching his presser when he was traded, I can't see him coming back. I always compare it to Ryan Smyth when he was traded from the Oilers. Tears, difficulty accepting what had happened. Iggy was all smiles, no question he wanted out. I'm guessing his wife had the car running in the parking lot. He wanted out of Calgary for the past few years, but didn't have the stones to ask management to trade him. He couldn't get out of Calgary fast enough. I can't see him ever coming back. I think people overestimate his loyalty to this city.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
After watching his presser when he was traded, I can't see him coming back. I always compare it to Ryan Smyth when he was traded from the Oilers. Tears, difficulty accepting what had happened. Iggy was all smiles, no question he wanted out. I'm guessing his wife had the car running in the parking lot. He wanted out of Calgary for the past few years, but didn't have the stones to ask management to trade him. He couldn't get out of Calgary fast enough. I can't see him ever coming back. I think people overestimate his loyalty to this city.

I just thought of this:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Probably just to wrap up.

One way or another, he might retire an FA; but his number 12 will be hanging in our arena. Although the fans weren't excessively happy with the way the split went, I hold no ill-will against Jarome. I'm at least grateful he didn't pull an Alfie.

He will retire a Calgary Flame. He most likely will never be in a Calgary jersey on the ice... but he'll be a Flame when that day comes.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
The fact that Iginla asked to be traded (knowing that he'd get the team a first round pick + prospects) instead of running his contract down at the end of the year and then signing in free agency shows he had the team in mind.

He will be back, I have no doubt.

Rockmorton

Oct 26, 2011
So because he didn't cry at his press conference, he wanted out?

He was all smiles because he wanted out, not simply being Jarome Iginla?

From this, you conclude he'll never be back?

:shakehead

What I was getting at was that you could tell, by his attitude and demeanour, he couldn't wait to get out of this city. Everyone in that room was somber and upset. Except for Iggy. He was like a kid on his birthday. No "it's hard to leave this team", no "I wish things worked out differently", just how excited he was to be leaving. When someone is that happy to leave somewhere, they usually don't have a desire to go back.

Once Iggy wins his cup, he'll retire. He'll show up for the jersey raising and that'll be it.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
What I was getting at was that you could tell, by his attitude and demeanour, he couldn't wait to get out of this city. Everyone in that room was somber and upset. Except for Iggy. He was like a kid on his birthday. No "it's hard to leave this team", no "I wish things worked out differently", just how excited he was to be leaving. When someone is that happy to leave somewhere, they usually don't have a desire to go back.

Once Iggy wins his cup, he'll retire. He'll show up for the jersey raising and that'll be it.

That's not the video I saw. I explicitly remember him talking about trying to win a cup in Calgary and went speechless, followed by a tear.

But overall he seemed like himself. Even when media hounded him for not scoring in the early season he would be happy and smiling.

TheJudge

Mar 11, 2007
That's not the video I saw. I explicitly remember him talking about trying to win a cup in Calgary and went speechless, followed by a tear.

But overall he seemed like himself. Even when media hounded him for not scoring in the early season he would be happy and smiling.

This.

Iginla is almost always happy and upbeat. It's just his personality - I wouldn't read any further into it.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
There is a reason he was the face of the franchise. He faced media, management, fans and teammates with class. He is a classy guy first, great hockey player second.

I wouldn't say he for sure wont come back for a season or at the deadline, but it depends where HE is at and where the team is at. A lot of variables would have to be in place for the picture perfect finish.

As a born and raised calgaryian, and flames fan, it would be great. But I'm not getting my hopes up. I don't think it was easy to leave, but it was probably easy to move on once he left.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

I'm sorry, but I think you are doing Iginla an extreme disservice. Neither you nor I could 'just tell' anything about what Iginla was feeling during the presser. There were so many factors which could have influenced his emotions and demeanour. I'm pretty sure that he actually did say "I wish things could have worked out differently" at least three times during the presser, too. He repeatedly talked about how he had always wanted to win in Calgary.

And let's be honest, he'd been preparing himself to be traded for weeks, so it wasn't a shock. He's always handled things in an upbeat manner, as other posters have mentioned. He'd been traded to his first-choice destination with a chance to play with the best player in the game, and with a real chance to win a Stanley Cup. There were plenty of reasons for him not to be bawling which do not involve contempt for the Flames organization.

In particular, I think that you crossed the line with your comment that he didn't have the 'stones' to demand a trade in previous years. Disrespectful to a guy with one of the best personalities in the game to slander him based on an assumption which you have apparently made based on a hunch.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
if you think that presser was Iginla being all smiles then you have never seen Iginla talk to the media before. That was the most somber any of us have ever seen him. Just because he didn't turn on the waterworks doesn't mean he wasn't upset.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00