Will Hercules affect the games?

Pistachio

I love your mother
Sep 10, 2013
So, here in Europe the news are full of the storm Hercules in the US. I'm wondering - now that Bill DeBlasio is warning people from going outside - how will this affect the games in New York and the East Coast in general? Any word on this from the NHL, or is everything just going to go on as normal.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
A few inches of snow and everyone loses their minds. I just got back from the grocery store...barren wasteland. People from Buffalo are probably laughing at us right now.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Figured as much. When I lived in Brooklyn and New Jersey people always braced themselves for '77 esque blizzard snow. Then it's 4, 5 inches.... everyone storms for bread and milk.

Pistachio

I love your mother
Sep 10, 2013
I'm not from the US, but this seems like a pretty serious storm. According to the news, temperatures are plummeting right now in NYC. So far 9 people have died. They really never cancel events, even when people are discouraged from driving or even going outside?

Most of the deaths were vehicular. I would guess 10-15,000 people heading to a stadium would face some issues.

They are expecting temperatures to drop well below -20 Fahrenheit, even in New York.
Biggest problem won't be the cold it self, but the warm-spike that precedes it. Whatever snow is on now will melt and suddenly freeze, creating pretty horrendous conditions.

In either case, be careful out there. If you're driving, be aware that the conditions could be much worse than what it looks like. We have a lot of this in Europe. Right now it's pissing rain in Oslo. By morning it would have frozen solid, and the roads will be like icerinks.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Not so bad out here. Got about 12 inches, however the drifts are up to 3ft. It was light snow though(not wet) so shoveling wasent so bad.

Can't see any games being cancelled.

It's will be cold tonight though, which will ice everything up. Nothing that a little Jameson's and a good pair of boots won't handle!

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
They made it out to be a huge storm, but it ended up being just a lot of fluffy snow.

Models show a small percentage chance of an enormous storm and news channels run with it, trying to out-sensationalize each other for ratings. Like clockwork, everytime. CNN "Storm Watch 2014". Fox "Winter Storm 2014!" Reporters on the scene in gortex while 80-year-old storeowner is shoveling snow away from his front door in rubber boots and a windbreaker.

It was nice that a lot of my teacher friends got the day off. Only wish they heard sooner than 4am. Parents and teachers need more notice in order to get in touch with babysitters and subs.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
If anyone's got tickets they can't use because of this big bad storm I'll take em off your hands :laugh:
But seriously I got about a foot, my cars got 4wd, the snows a pain but far from the end of the world.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Not so bad out here. Got about 12 inches, however the drifts are up to 3ft. It was light snow though(not wet) so shoveling wasent so bad.

Can't see any games being cancelled.

It's will be cold tonight though, which will ice everything up. Nothing that a little Jameson's and a good pair of boots won't handle!

Love the last part of your post...

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
I'm sorry, but I just cannot take TWC naming winter storms seriously
Hercules.jpg

KreiMeARiver*

I'm sorry, but I just cannot take TWC naming winter storms seriously
Hercules.jpg

It is designed to generate the kind of attention and viewers like Sandy and the Hurricanes (or "super storms"). It's pathetic.

OMG AN AVERAGE WINTER STORM LET'S ALL BOARD THE ARK (with skis on it)!!!

So stupid, but this is the sensationalistic world we live in.

KreiMeARiver*

A few inches of snow and everyone loses their minds. I just got back from the grocery store...barren wasteland. People from Buffalo are probably laughing at us right now.

perpetuated by the media trying to get you to watch and follow and scare the **** out of you so that people call up and buy more ads.

NYRKindms

Dec 16, 2009
we got about 10" or so in Danbury, CT.

It looks like they didnt do much with the side streets but 84 and 684 were clear but they havent gotten to a lot of the on/off ramps so if you are gonna be out and about keep your eyes open.

I got to the office at about 2PM or so. Gonna head back soon before the sun goes down. Looks like black ice will be everywhere.

They have to watch this overhyping stuff because on of these days people are going to ignore it then WHAM.

Vidic15*

So, here in Europe the news are full of the storm Hercules in the US. I'm wondering - now that Bill DeBlasio is warning people from going outside - how will this affect the games in New York and the East Coast in general? Any word on this from the NHL, or is everything just going to go on as normal.

We survived the Snowpocalypse of 2014. The game will be played. DeBlasio is a ******. LGR.

Malarowski

Jul 25, 2012
Yeah seriously, it's a few inches of super light fluffy snow and it is below freezing for a change. Big deal. It's beautiful weather otherwise today actually. Roads are clear already.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY

NYC overrates almost every storm. Remember Hurricane Irene? How about that earthquake a few years ago?

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY
NYC overrates almost every storm. Remember Hurricane Irene? How about that earthquake a few years ago?

Its funny because they were overrating the storms then they chilled... Sandy came through and now it is full scale overrating again

not funny haha though Sandy affected a lot of people

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Its funny because they were overrating the storms then they chilled... Sandy came through and now it is full scale overrating again

not funny haha though Sandy affected a lot of people

That's why I said "almost always." Sandy wasn't overrated at all, but before it hit, I kept saying it wasn't going to be anything serious because of their history overrating everything. Clearly I was wrong on that one.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
That's why I said "almost always." Sandy wasn't overrated at all, but before it hit, I kept saying it wasn't going to be anything serious because of their history overrating everything. Clearly I was wrong on that one.

That's why they have to be careful with sending everyone into a panic like this. People are going to ignore the warnings eventually if a real disaster strikes.

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY

Ah true... the weather people were saying it was bad and other people were making a big deal that it wasn't gonna be a big storm and then bam

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
I'm not from the US, but this seems like a pretty serious storm. According to the news, temperatures are plummeting right now in NYC. So far 9 people have died. They really never cancel events, even when people are discouraged from driving or even going outside?

Most of the deaths were vehicular. I would guess 10-15,000 people heading to a stadium would face some issues.

They are expecting temperatures to drop well below -20 Fahrenheit, even in New York.
Biggest problem won't be the cold it self, but the warm-spike that precedes it. Whatever snow is on now will melt and suddenly freeze, creating pretty horrendous conditions.

In either case, be careful out there. If you're driving, be aware that the conditions could be much worse than what it looks like. We have a lot of this in Europe. Right now it's pissing rain in Oslo. By morning it would have frozen solid, and the roads will be like icerinks.

It's really not.

Got some good pond hockey in today, roads weren't that bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad