Will Chris Kreider’s #20 be hung in MSG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
If they win a cup and he has a couple more good seasons (35-40 g) yes. He'll be in the Hadfield, Graves territory.

Rangers retired the number for 11 players. Only 4 of them won a Cup.

The whole "If he wins a cup" thing isn't as relevant as we may think.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Why on earth would Chris Kreider's number be retired?

You're an original six franchise, try to have some kind of standards.
Is this from a Leafs fan?

Standards? What the hell do you know about standards? I say this as agreeing with you that no his # shouldn't be retired (yet)

But why are you posting this on a NYR Board???? You're team is Original 6 and hasn't won a cup in my lifetime, plus. Armstrong walked on the moon YEARS after the Leafs won a Cup.

Jesus

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Standards? What the hell do you know about standards? I say this as agreeing with you that no his # shouldn't be retired (yet)

But why are you posting this on a NYR Board???? You're team is Original 6 and hasn't won a cup in my lifetime, plus. Armstrong walked on the moon YEARS after the Leafs won a Cup.

Jesus

Leafs will be drafting kids this year that weren't alive the last time they even won a play off round

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

Jesus

I'm not a Leafs fan. What are talking about?

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
First and foremost, Kreider needs to score at a good clip (30+ goals) for several more seasons to be considered.

If he can do that, he can build his case by adding the below to his resume. These are in order of ascending weight.

Named captain
Wins Cup
Wins Cup as captain
Conn Smythe
Conn Smythe as captain

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Career NYR. His game will age like fine wine. He’ll be scoring 30-40 the next few years. Has turned into the face of the Rangers. Home grown, getting even better AFTER signing an extension.

He needs to be the captain. He’s got that.

Or am I ahead of myself here but does Kreider deserve it after scoring 30?

Sosososo proud of Chris. Really am. Went from a good player to being an all-time Ranger.
Well you are definitely getting ahead of yourself assuming he’ll be scoring 30-40 the next few years when in ten years he never did that prior to this one. He might do it but it certainly is not a good assumption to think this is the new normal.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
The bar is Graves and Hadfield, I guess.
As much as I loved those players, Kreids has already surpassed them, in my opinion. NEED that cup though and he's in.
Furthermore Kreider has done more for this organization in the locker room, (things that we have no way of knowing,) through the years, through the good times and the bad. Didn't even play one regular NHL game and he was scoring in the playoffs and had major growing pains as we all know. Give the man some credit, things have come together for him, and without him this team wouldn't be where it is now. Chasing the cup.

Reactions: Pawnee Rangers

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Well you are definitely getting ahead of yourself assuming he’ll be scoring 30-40 the next few years when in ten years he never did that prior to this one. He might do it but it certainly is not a good assumption to think this is the new normal.
Honestly, I don't see how anybody could NOT think it's the new normal. The players around him, are going to be here for some time as well. speaking of Zibanajad, Panarin, Fox etc. His game is his game, and I don't see that changing. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't get at least 40 for the next couple to three years.
Haha! speaking into the phone and trying to say Zibanajad it typed Savannah Jazz! lol

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
First and foremost, Kreider needs to score at a good clip (30+ goals) for several more seasons to be considered.

If he can do that, he can build his case by adding the below to his resume. These are in order of ascending weight.

Named captain
Wins Cup
Wins Cup as captain
Conn Smythe
Conn Smythe as captain
that is much too much, doesn't need all that.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I'm not a Leafs fan. What are talking about?

Maybe the fact that the majority of your interactions is about Leafs players gave him that idea?

1649935511117.png

• Wow
Reactions: Mike in Houston

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
It’s a low bar to clear, but Kreider, when all is said and done, is likely to be the greatest homegrown Ranger goal scorer (some could argue F period) in the team’s history. We have numbers retired of players that were essentially mercenaries and spent most of their careers elsewhere.

Kreider would certainly need to finish his contract out strong, but if he remains a 30+ goal guy, I’d say #20 is very likely in the rafters one day.

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
This thread reminds me of one of the most heating discussions in sports: the argument in baseball between Big Hall (baseball HOF) people and Small Hall people. I am most definitely a Big Hall guy and so, turning to hockey, strongly believe that if he has more productive seasons, CK should, and will, have his number retired.

You can't judge someone just on winning the Cup, just as you can't judge how successful a season we've had by if they win the Cup. Only one team is left standing at the end, and if that is your criteria, you are dooming yourself to a life of frustration. You take your happiness where you can.

Gilbert, Hadfield, Ratelle, Giacomin, Howell, Bathgate, Lundqvist....no Cup. Howell and Bathgate never even played in a Cup final (in the days of the Original Six, you only had to win one round to get there).

The only sport where we realistically judge players, in particular QBs, by championships, is football. Was Eli a HOF QB because he won two Super Bowl? I think yes but others strongly no, ONTH, Marino and Fouts never won Super Bowls.

CK has been an outstanding Ranger. Yes, frustrating at times. But for those who never saw some of the old timers with numbers retired play, it is easy to think that they were always great. Not so. Gilbert was inconsistent. It took Ratelle years to become a top center, Giacomin never had that "carry your team" playoff, was always somewhat disappointing in that regard, Howell was booed consistently (that's even before my time, but I heard many stories about the MSG crowd in the 1950s yelling "hit'em with your pocketbook, Harry) but he did play over 1000 games. Guys with numbers retired, or HOF players were not always great or consistent: they had down years and periods of less than great production,

Step back a second and appreciate what we have in CK. Hopefully he has a few more productive years. Maybe we will win a Cup as our window opens. But, even if he doesn't, I vehemently believe that he is an all-time Ranger great and should, one day (with the proviso of a few more really fine years) have his number retired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad