Will Cale Makar steal Quinn Hughes' NHL Record? The Watch Begins Now

Will Cale steal Quinn Hughes' assist record?

• Of course

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • Not a chance

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Adam Fox is better than both so who cares

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • Jack Hughes is the only Hughes anyone outside of Vancouver should think about

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • I like pie

Votes: 6 14.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
20th anniversary of something coming up. We’ll hear from them before too long.
The amount of them who still view that as a great injustice is just disturbing

I will die on the hill of if you think it’s ok to harass/threaten a child for liking the wrong team, you need to chill out and take a break from your team. Give me some good natured banter any day but the moment you cross the line beyond that there’s a problem

Reactions: CobraAcesS

BrickNHL

Feb 25, 2019
Wild. Would move back to Van in a heartbeat if it didn’t mean trading my house for a 1 bedroom and still owing more money. I grew up in the lower mainland though, hate winter and love rain
The $8000 a month for an average house mortgage is crazy then you add in how rude everybody in Vancouver is

Reactions: Avs9296

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I mean, do you not see where the thread is? This isn't the main boards...
Weren’t you the poster who said Byram is a better defenseman and will be a better defenseman moving forward earlier this year? Normally when we say “Avs fans”, most just mean you, lol. You’ve trolled the main boards enough.

Reactions: Spirits

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
This meets the eye test with Cale really. He was really rough defensively for quite a while and still doesn’t seem quite his normal level of dominant despite his recent impressive offensive performance
Wait I don't understand these fancy stats too well.

Is it better for Cale to be 14th or 106th for this particular stat?

• Haha
Reactions: CobraAcesS

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
Hughes has made major improvements to his game and the gap has certainly been closed. It's truly impressive what he's been able to add to his game. I'd say the odds are he wins the Norris given Makar's ability to stay healthy. Can you count on him to play 70+ games? Eventually the injuries will start adding up if they haven't already. Makar not coming into the season 100% this year has tempered my expectations abit.

That being said it really is annoying how much defense is irrelevant now. That has nothing to do with Hughes/Makar. Hughes has improved in that area but it hasn't even entered this discussion it feels like. After Karlsson it's just whatever. You can't tell me that Fox couldn't have had another 10-15 points last year at minimum if he just completely ignored defense. You shouldn't get an advantage in the Norris conversation simply because you play more aggressive/less responsible.

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
Wait I don't understand these fancy stats too well.

Is it better for Cale to be 14th or 106th for this particular stat?
14th. I’m mostly just thinking in the sense that though he’s picked it up of late, I can definitely see where Cale not being 1/2 (despite his insane scoring) does actually meet the eye test because despite his recent offence, he’s had some real rough nights defensively

Not touching the Hughes (who has been amazing and a play driver) aspect to this with a 30 ft pole

These analytics aren’t the be all end all and the publicly available data is not the full amount available to the league. The raw analytics are fine. I don’t recommend putting a lot of stock in the guys who try to turn it into models when they only have 80% of the actual data. You can make a model say just about anything you want it to but essentially garbage in garbage out. The data can show you some interesting things (the Canucks have been unsustainably lucky) so don’t just throw analytics out over a lack of understanding but don’t overvalue them either

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand

Sportnets knows a Hughes record is about to fall, so they gotta move everyone to focus on the next one.

Well until Makar beats him here as well

So what you are saying is that Makar has 45 games to get 36 assists to be #1 on that list.

That's good but not Hughes level pace.
You are right, Makar's pace is only 1.59 PPG, compared to Hughes'...checks note....1.58 PPG.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I like how Sportsnet keeps coming up with the "Most points for a defenseman through 25 Tuesday home games" records for Hughes, because Canadian market, and all of them are like "oh, and of course Makar will pass him in a little bit".

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
I like how Sportsnet keeps coming up with the "Most points for a defenseman through 25 Tuesday home games" records for Hughes, because Canadian market, and all of them are like "oh, and of course Makar will pass him in a little bit".
It’s hilarious but also a minor miracle that SN is talking about anything other than the Leafs and Oilers

BrickNHL

Feb 25, 2019
What would happen here if Team USA put out a line with: JT Miller, Brock Boeser, Quinn Hughes, and Thatcher Demko!

(Cale Makar would single-handedly skate around them all and score all the goals! Am I right? :naughty::D)

I want to say that Cale literally did single-handedly skate around them all especially JT Miller last night so maybe you’re right about the Olympics

Chelis Chili

Proud HFB member since 21 years [sic!]
Dec 26, 2002
Hockeytown
MACKINNON KEEPS THE STREAK AT BALL ARENA ALIVE
Nathan MacKinnon
(2-2—4) extended his home point streak to 30 games and overtook Nikita Kucherov in the Art Ross Trophy race, while Cale Makar (1-1—2) climbed atop the only franchise scoring category among blueliners he was not leading outright as the Avalanche (38-20-5, 81 points) blanked the Blackhawks and moved within two points of the idle Stars (37-17-9, 83 points) for second place in the Central Division.

Makar surpassed Tyson Barrie (232) for sole possession of the most assists by a defenseman in Avalanche/Nordiques history. He already held the franchise mark for most goals and points by defensemen.

sauce: https://media.nhl.com/public/news/17785

Reactions: Tommy Shelby

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad