Speculation: Will Bylsma have the balls to bench Scuderi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
So, Nisky is better for having had Bylsma. Is Sid a better player than June 2009? Is Geno? Letang? How is Neal as a player compared to his three zones game in Dallas? How about Maatta compared to November?

Sorry, but the day the Pens won the cup, the day Bylsma made this his team with his system and surrounded himself with his stooges . . . well, save Nisky, I can't think of a player who has improved.

How depressing. To think of what might of been before this team became about Bylsma's ego, leadership from useless vets, and Shero's homage to Nashville first and Sid, Geno, and youth and energy second.

I actually think that Letang did improve quite a bit... and then drastically un-improved over the course of the past 2 years. And Maata looks pretty similar but you can tell the 19 year old is a rookie and has begun to wear. But with that said, I'm not fan of Bylsma, but how about we call out Sid and Geno for not showing up instead of "Bylsma's Ego?" How about we address the fact that the "best player in the world" has become outrageously easy to be shutdown by any defensive forward / pesk, or will Dubinsky be getting a Selke nomination?

Again, not a fan of Bylsma. I think he won early in his career and thinks he's a mistake-free genius with the best game plan that has even toughed the surface of the ice, but I don't think he can say "Hey Sid, stop turning the puck over constantly and stop looking disinterested," and have Sid say, "Thanks for the strategic advice, coach. Will do."

Fire Shero*

Scuderi will never be benched.

He literally cannot clear the puck out of the zone anymore. He's useless. If Despres or Bortuzzo ever played half as bad as ****** Scuderi, they'd be playing in Wheeling.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
Watching Scuderi play is a TORTURE. ****.

Really?? Go to the hell, you ****ing loser. Bylsma will never bench him, he played more than 22 minutes again..

I hope he wasn't including himself "We were solid last Night".

If Scuds plays next game, this should be the straw that gets DB fired. And if RS does not step in and tell DB to sit Scuds, then RS should be fired. IS every one in PENS management BLIND.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
You know, I wish we could go back to the Scuderi signing thread for a revisit. I trashed the signing of Scuderi and was almost laughed off of the thread by the most trusted posters here. Maybe some of you shouldn't look at post count correlating to knowledge of the game.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Read something that most of us already know about Scuderi. He needs benched immediately.

http://www.pensburgh.com/2014/5/8/5687082/rob-scuderi-past-and-present

B9o8neO_medium.png

The Tang

I like gooooollllddd
Sep 19, 2002
Pittsburgh. PA
Visit site
You know, I wish we could go back to the Scuderi signing thread for a revisit. I trashed the signing of Scuderi and was almost laughed off of the thread by the most trusted posters here. Maybe some of you shouldn't look at post count correlating to knowledge of the game.

Post count has little to do with it: the same happened to me and I've been posting here for over a decade.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Post count has little to do with it: the same happened to me and I've been posting here for over a decade.

I was optimistic about the signing because I thought it meant Orpik was gone last summer for picks or a winger. Even so I thought Scuds would be a solid #3 or #4 and then slide gracefully down to be a solid bottom pairing guy after a year or two.

Man, was I wrong with all of that.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I think that with an off-season, Scuds will be a great bottom pairing D that can eat up PK minutes. He played well at the start of the year, but with the injury and the team not playing well while he was trying to get back into form, his season has been thrown for a loop. Orpik will be gone next year and Despres will hopefully be given his shot in the top 4. Then we'll have 5 puck movers who will (hopefully) eat most of the minutes and he can be a calming influence when things get a bit hectic.

Fire Shero*

Anyone who thought Kobasew, Adams, D'ags, Jeffrey and Scuderi were good signings at the time should be ashamed of themselves.

How many posters complained Jeffrey is a viable top 9 player if given the opportunity?

You can't let the majority influence you. People cried when Tangradi was traded. The most common excuse for him playing so poorly was but but but it takes power forwards longer to develop!

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think that with an off-season, Scuds will be a great bottom pairing D that can eat up PK minutes. He played well at the start of the year, but with the injury and the team not playing well while he was trying to get back into form, his season has been thrown for a loop. Orpik will be gone next year and Despres will hopefully be given his shot in the top 4. Then we'll have 5 puck movers who will (hopefully) eat most of the minutes and he can be a calming influence when things get a bit hectic.

With the number of defensemen we've drafted AND the needs to give Sid and Geno real help so they aren't forced to play together, you cannot be paying 3.5M for bottom pairing defensemen.

In my dream world, Pens move him AND Dupuis to some team for like a 4th round pick.

Fire Shero*

With the number of defensemen we've drafted AND the needs to give Sid and Geno real help so they aren't forced to play together, you cannot be paying 3.5M for bottom pairing defensemen.

In my dream world, Pens move him AND Dupuis to some team for like a 4th round pick.

It's depressing looking at their winger situation in the future. Bennett is here, Neal is a leech, Kunitz is a leech and 35 and Dupuis is 34 or 35.

It's not pretty. Shero is the ultimate procrastinator in addressing the winger disaster.

Jesus Vitale

Formerly CPZ17
Nov 19, 2010
Pittsburgh
If DB had any thoughts about benching Scuderi before Orpik's apparent injury, then there's no way he's benched now. Pens certainly couldn't do without his "veteran leadership" now.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
It's depressing looking at their winger situation in the future. Bennett is here, Neal is a leech, Kunitz is a leech and 35 and Dupuis is 34 or 35 .

It's not pretty.

Not the thread for it, but my plan . . .

-- Trade Dupuis and Scuds anywhere.

-- Resign Nisky, Goc, and Stemps, hopefully for 9.5M but no more than 10M. Plan to keep the top two defensive pairings and the Beau-Goc-Stemps line (groom Beau to replace Sutter).

-- Move Neal if there's a better fit for Sid or Geno (as in one that isn't a total leech).

-- Move Sutter . . . IMO, you may need to add, but with what he's done in the playoffs, he's proven himself to be a 2C. You'll get a guy for Sid or Geno for him now.

-- Let all the other 30+ guys walk.

All these moves, figuring the guys added for Sid and Geno are 10M combined, will add about 7.5M to payroll.

I think that would leave plenty of room to address the other top six spot and lower line spots.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Without Scuds, we would have had Despres up for the entire season, without Scuds, we'd likely be able to keep Niskanen...without Scuds, Bortuzzo wouldn't have to look at his skates to dig out passes from Scuderi...

But, he's veteran leadership!

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Without Scuds, we would have had Despres up for the entire season, without Scuds, we'd likely be able to keep Niskanen...without Scuds, Bortuzzo wouldn't have to look at his skates to dig out passes from Scuderi...

But, he's veteran leadership!

There's no reason the Pens will not be able to trade Scuds this summer. They may not be able to trade him somewhere he'd prefer, but that shouldn't be a factor for Shero in the end.

Alas, it will be.

The Tang

I like gooooollllddd
Sep 19, 2002
Pittsburgh. PA
Visit site

Unless there is no cap, you shouldn't be paying a bottom 6 defender that much money.

The most common excuse for him playing so poorly was but but but it takes power forwards longer to develop!

Still waiting on Brad Isbister...

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
It's depressing looking at their winger situation in the future. Bennett is here, Neal is a leech, Kunitz is a leech and 35 and Dupuis is 34 or 35.

It's not pretty. Shero is the ultimate procrastinator in addressing the winger disaster.

Well we are both on the same page. I hated the contracts of Scuderi, Dupuis, Adams and Kunitz. This was the opportunity for Shero to the get the team younger, hungrier and maybe change the makeup of where this team is headed. Instead, he doubled down on aging vets and who were all disappointing this year and will all be WORSE next season. And with contracts that are locked in, there isn't any hope of Shero righting his wrong. The Pens have been very lucky so far with the matchups in the playoffs. We shall see how this ride ends, but I fear that Shero will once again destroy our future this offseason.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Prediction... Scuderi makes the game saving block in the waning minutes of game 7 of the SCF... his value skyrockets and we trade him for cap space and a pick on the offseason to make room for the young Dmen... then I wake up and realize it was just a dream :cry:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I feel like an idiot. I didn't know Wingerz was Fire Shero until now. The world totally makes sense again.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
Prediction... Scuderi makes the game saving block in the waning minutes of game 7 of the SCF... his value skyrockets and we trade him for cap space and a pick on the offseason to make room for the young Dmen... then I wake up and realize it was just a dream :cry:

or if he cant be traded then he could be MAF's backup next year:handclap::handclap:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Not the thread for it, but my plan . . .

-- Trade Dupuis and Scuds anywhere.

-- Resign Nisky, Goc, and Stemps, hopefully for 9.5M but no more than 10M. Plan to keep the top two defensive pairings and the Beau-Goc-Stemps line (groom Beau to replace Sutter).

-- Move Neal if there's a better fit for Sid or Geno (as in one that isn't a total leech).

-- Move Sutter . . . IMO, you may need to add, but with what he's done in the playoffs, he's proven himself to be a 2C. You'll get a guy for Sid or Geno for him now.

-- Let all the other 30+ guys walk.

All these moves, figuring the guys added for Sid and Geno are 10M combined, will add about 7.5M to payroll.

I think that would leave plenty of room to address the other top six spot and lower line spots.

Sutter has proven himself to be a 2C based on a few playoff games? You're wrong :laugh:

StutzlesTapeJob

Dec 22, 2008
I would say Sutter has proved it for the past month and a half.

If our first line is Sid Geno Kunitz, we need a second line that can matchup well.

Beau Sutter Neal could look good with some time together.

Dupes X Gibbons

X Vitale X - where X is a 4th line player with size and 3rd line skills.

With the money we are tied into, finding a 2nd line center significantly better than sutter won't be fiscally possible or responsible. I think rebuilding our 3rd and 4th lines needs to be priority Uno.

Trade Scuds for a younger 3rd 4th line guy. A matt martin type of something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad