Prospect Info: Will Borgen (2015, 92nd) – '17-18: Signed ELC, Reporting To Rochester

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I hesitate to even get excited about this kid. Trying to find reasons why he should join such a dysfunctional org and can't come up with many reasons.

We have space for him, so we've got that going for us. But we did last year too and Butcher chose to go elsewhere -- looks like a very smart decision in retrospect. Can't imagine Borgen looking at Butcher's path and saying "what a mistake."

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I hesitate to even get excited about this kid. Trying to find reasons why he should join such a dysfunctional org and can't come up with many reasons.

We have space for him, so we've got that going for us. But we did last year too and Butcher chose to go elsewhere -- looks like a very smart decision in retrospect. Can't imagine Borgen looking at Butcher's path and saying "what a mistake."

Look at their depth chart. Look at the pathway to NHL games -- it's pretty short.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If we look at past winners of best defenseman in the NCHA, it's a short list -- Poolman, Prow, and rover Joey LaLeggia. But if we look at WCHA winners from St. Cloud's old conference... Colton Parayko, Justin Schultz, Alex Goligoski, Brendan Smith, and yes, Casey Nelson.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
It was even shorter when Butcher was deciding where to go.
Butcher had already decided to forgo signing with Colorado which wasn't really a longer path than Buffalo.

Besides, if Borgen decides he wants to go pro this year, Buffalo is his only NHL choice.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
4-1 Denver in the last minute.

Yep, I have it on one laptop and had OSU-ND on the other.

What I liked about Borgen tonight was his ability to make smart pinches and us his mobility to go to where he needed to be when they started to press. He's more than just a defensive defenseman. There is offense there to tap into.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Yes, but in the other hand - as soon as he starts his senior year, should he go that route, he’s a FA for all intents and purposes.

Yeah, if the Sabres let him start his Senior year this fall, if he is not under contract by that point, then I’d say the odds are >75% that he’s as good as gone.

Why woudn’t he just wait for free agency at that point? He’d be foolish not to.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
LaxSabre - Borgen (and Peterson) and St. Cloud State start their run to national title against Air Force on Friday, March 23 - 4:00 pm ET - ESPNU. Should the Huskies defeat the Falcons, they will play the winner of Minnesota-Duluth Bulldogs - Minnesota State Mavericks (Friday, March 23 - 7:30 pm ET - ESPN3) on Saturday, March 24 - 9:00 pm ET - ESPN2.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Yeah, if the Sabres let him start his Senior year this fall, if he is not under contract by that point, then I’d say the odds are >75% that he’s as good as gone.

Why woudn’t he just wait for free agency at that point? He’d be foolish not to.

Thats the sex panther rule I believe

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
There are holes up and down this defensive group. Unlike Petersen who felt it was more likely that he'd have a stronger future, it may not be the case for Borgen. It all depends on how early in the process Botterill will be. I imagine he's going to do everything he can to get him signed as early as possible if Borgen wants to sign.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
There are holes up and down this defensive group. Unlike Petersen who felt it was more likely that he'd have a stronger future, it may not be the case for Borgen. It all depends on how early in the process Botterill will be. I imagine he's going to do everything he can to get him signed as early as possible if Borgen wants to sign.

I still don't buy that explanation from Petersen's camp. Who's going to be easier to beat out as a starter, Quick or Lehner?

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015

For the hashtag Borgenwatch folks, Air Force is about the toughest out in the NCAA hockey tournament. They're never a "skilled team," (as you might guess) but they might accidentally shut out your skilled team 2-0, because that's just how they play, and have played, for the last 15 years. And, even assuming SCST moves on (which they should, as the #1 overall seed playing the #16 seed), it will be worthwhile watching how Borgen handles the absolutely relentless forecheck of Air Force.

Reactions: LaxSabre

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
For the hashtag Borgenwatch folks, Air Force is about the toughest out in the NCAA hockey tournament. They're never a "skilled team," (as you might guess) but they might accidentally shut out your skilled team 2-0, because that's just how they play, and have played, for the last 15 years. And, even assuming SCST moves on (which they should, as the #1 overall seed playing the #16 seed), it will be worthwhile watching how Borgen handles the absolutely relentless forecheck of Air Force.
I’m just now reading this. That’s really a great analysis/write-up, having nothing to do with the upset. Nice job!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad