Will Bigger Nets will increase US TV ratings?

puckhead103*

will having bigger nets and higher scoring games (1980s style) will translate into a larger US ratings meaning a large TV contract like the NFL?

critics say fans like offense and don't like to see defensive hockey....

any thoughts...

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
most fans like the fights as much as they like the scoring. I think the best thing the NHL could do is market its players better. Its harder because alot of the european players aren't as relatable as the NFL players, but Oveckin should be on the TV as much as humanly possible.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
I wouldn't mind bigger nets because the Goalies have gotten so big from the time when the original nets were made.

Last edited by a moderator:

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
will having bigger nets and higher scoring games (1980s style) will translate into a larger US ratings meaning a large TV contract like the NFL?

critics say fans like offense and don't like to see defensive hockey....

any thoughts...

Is a bigger net going to increase offensive play and cut down on "boring" defensive play? Or is a bigger net just going to give a shooter more to look at thus increasing thier chance to score? If they raise the crossbar, your going to size a guy like Karl Goehring right out of the sport!

Jazz

Increasing the net size is a stupid idea.

Now all leagues in North America, and all rinks will have to incur infrastructure costs to have the same size.

Also, what happens when there is an international tournament - this will hamper the North American players used to a bigger sized net.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
No.

NOTHING will increase US TV ratings. Hockey is a regional sport in the States, and will remain so.

A lucrative, national TV deal for the NHL is a pipe dream, and the moment the league realizes this, the better off fans of the game will be.

Maken*

Whats next raising the nets 3' off of the ice to promote lacrosse style goals? :shakehead

No, it should be a one-dimensional skill competition that in no way resembles hockey or a team concept to solve the outcome of games... oh wait... :banghead:

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Whats next raising the nets 3' off of the ice to promote lacrosse style goals? :shakehead

I don't get the relationship between raising the net 3 feet off the ice and "lacrosse style goals". Last I checked, lacrosse nets were firmly on the ground.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Not increasing net size specifically. However it is pretty obvious that if you increase scoring that ratings go up. That is true not just with hockey but most sports. However purists may scream about it (again no matter the sport) fans like to see scoring and their teams in the playoffs. Hockey has 16/30 teams make the playoffs so they certainly do not need to do more there. As for scoring, I doubt that very many could disagree with the positive reaction to last seasons changes which hindreded defenses and boosted offensive stars. Does more need to be done? Perhaps not. You can go too far. But the theory remains very sound.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
They arent seriously thinking about making the nets bigger are they. I sure as hell hope not. Quit screwing with the rules and just put more effort into marketing.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Changing the net size would make the league look even more like a fringe sport. One of the things hockey has going for it is a history, and changing a fundamental part of the game just for ratings makes the game look stupid.

The game is entertaining as is, and more goals doesn't make it any better.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Is a bigger net going to increase offensive play and cut down on "boring" defensive play? Or is a bigger net just going to give a shooter more to look at thus increasing thier chance to score? If they raise the crossbar, your going to size a guy like Karl Goehring right out of the sport!

I agree. Its not only the goals that make the game great. Its the plays. A 0-0 game can be more entertianing than a 7-5 game. Its all about the gameplay, not the goal numbers.

The changes like no line-change after icing, no red line, calling the game better... those improved the game. Not changing the net size.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
More goals does not equal excitement. Teams will still play defensive hockey, but score more cheap goals. They should be working on having more shots, because more shots will produce more excitement as well as more goals.

Enstrom39

Apr 1, 2006
www.birdwatchersanonymous.com
I agree with the poster who said forget about a lucrative national TV deal. I'm OK with hockey as a niche sport.

But as a fan and season ticket holder I think the decline in scoring will resume this coming season and I would prefer a bit more offense. I could go for making the nets larger but I'd rather try shrinking goalie pads a bit more first.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I don't get the relationship between raising the net 3 feet off the ice and "lacrosse style goals". Last I checked, lacrosse nets were firmly on the ground.
Picking the puck up, lacrosse style, and slam dunking pucks into the net.

I don't really watch football but how many touchdowns are in a game. Maybe the NHL should award 6 points for every goal and use score-o for an extra point. Then we can see some 28-21 games. :dunce:

iceblue

Jul 30, 2004
Myrtle Beach
Not a chance. I hate the idea of tinkering with rules every year to try to get a larger audience. Next thing you know there will be no ice and the players will wear inline skates. (promotes the game in non-traditional markets).

Just answer this...what other sport changes their rules so dramatically year after year? Isn't the flipping shoot out enough?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->