Will Bennett eventually become 'Crosby's Neal'?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
No way, Errey was pretty good as far as complimentary players went for Lemieux. I'd prefer that Bennet at least make it to Robbie Brown status, though I'll settle for Errey (which for a mid-round 1st, isn't really all that bad, considering Mike Rupp was a 9th overall).

I think we all want to avoid him becoming Crosby's Kip Miller, though.

I don't think Alyssa Milano is available anymore...

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
No way, Errey was pretty good as far as complimentary players went for Lemieux. I'd prefer that Bennet at least make it to Robbie Brown status, though I'll settle for Errey (which for a mid-round 1st, isn't really all that bad, considering Mike Rupp was a 9th overall).

I think we all want to avoid him becoming Crosby's Kip Miller, though.

Crosby's Hrdina?

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
He has 6 goals in 29 AHL games. How many of those goals are at EV? I'm less optimistic than others that he will be a strong addition to Crosby's line at this time.

Sorry

May 18, 2005
He has 6 goals in 29 AHL games. How many of those goals are at EV? I'm less optimistic than others that he will be a strong addition to Crosby's line at this time.

WBS is terrible offensively and Bennett has still managed to create offense. That's a very good sign, especially considering how limited his playing time in college was. People naturally want to see what he can do playing in a high powered offense like the big Pens.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Granted. Every Crosby needs a hero.

display_image.jpg

+

italian+hero+sandwich+3.jpg

=

Hockey-Training-Sidney-Crosby-Stanley-Cup-Celebration.jpg

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
If I were an awesomely skilled hacker, I would post that picture on the Flyers home page at least once a week. And on Ovechkin's engagement / marriage / honeymoon web site (I hear it's sheik to have a couples web site now).

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
WBS is terrible offensively and Bennett has still managed to create offense. That's a very good sign, especially considering how limited his playing time in college was. People naturally want to see what he can do playing in a high powered offense like the big Pens.

He actually has a longer history of underperforming at EV. Hard to evaluate his shortened NCAA career, but in his last BCHL season he scored 25 of his 41 goals via PP. The question becomes why isn't he scoring more goals at EV considering he has such an excellent shot? Just an observation.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
He actually has a longer history of underperforming at EV. Hard to evaluate his shortened NCAA career, but in his last BCHL season he scored 25 of his 41 goals via PP. The question becomes why isn't he scoring more goals at EV considering he has such an excellent shot? Just an observation.

Because he's more of a playmaker. It's that simple. As he continues to increase his strength and play against men, he will be able to win even more battles and produce more at the pro level at even strength or on the PP. But if he has further drive to improve specific aspects of his game (like Crosby has wanted to do), and in addition to improving his skating, BB wants to improve his goal-scoring and wants to be more of a scorer and work to improve that, then I certainly think he's capabable.

With BB, the sky has always been the limit because of his talent. He put in the work this off-season, and that's why he's doing what he's doing now. If he continues to train as hard as he has, and keep that same type of determination, then he has all the tools to be an elite player for a long time in the NHL.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Because he's more of a playmaker. It's that simple. As he continues to increase his strength and play against men, he will be able to win even more battles and produce more at the pro level at even strength or on the PP. But if he has further drive to improve specific aspects of his game (like Crosby has wanted to do), and in addition to improving his skating, BB wants to improve his goal-scoring and wants to be more of a scorer and work to improve that, then I certainly think he's capabable.

With BB, the sky has always been the limit because of his talent. He put in the work this off-season, and that's why he's doing what he's doing now. If he continues to train as hard as he has, and keep that same type of determination, then he has all the tools to be an elite player for a long time in the NHL.

Fair enough. He certainly has the talent to work well with Crosby. I just have less confidence that he will be that elite "finisher" like Neal is developing into.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Fair enough. He certainly has the talent to work well with Crosby. I just have less confidence that he will be that elite "finisher" like Neal is developing into.

There are only a handful of finishers like Neal in the entire league. The Pens are very fortunate to have three of them, so we are getting a little greedy hoping BB can fill the net like an elite goal scorer.

If he pots 20+ goals a season, while adding a playmaking dimension to Crosby or Malkin's line, I'll be stoked.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch

Yet somehow he's leading the team in points. There are other ways to produce offense besides scoring goals of your own.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
There are only a handful of finishers like Neal in the entire league. The Pens are very fortunate to have three of them, so we are getting a little greedy hoping BB can fill the net like an elite goal scorer.

If he pots 20+ goals a season, while adding a playmaking dimension to Crosby or Malkin's line, I'll be stoked.

THIS.

I hate to say it, but either Sid OR Geno could use a playmaker. Kunitz isn't really a playmaker. Neal isn't most of the time either.

Note: By playmaker, I mean someone who by skill or physically is going to beat a guy one on one or make that sick vision pass more than once in a while.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I really don't care what type of player Bennett winds up becoming: sniper, playmaker, right-winger, left-winger...

...there's room for him in Pittsburgh, barring a barrage of awesome trades in the next 4-5 months.

wtbipyo

Jun 24, 2010
Let me ask the masses this question ...

Do you want him at WBS with ZERO SKILL players developing? Or ... do you want him in the NHL developing along side CROSBY and MALKIN? Two guys that (one that has always been, and the other that just recently figured it out) are hard workers and the top two players in the game. In my opinion ... let Beau learn from the best rather than be frustrated by grinders.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Let me ask the masses this question ...

Do you want him at WBS with ZERO SKILL players developing? Or ... do you want him in the NHL developing along side CROSBY and MALKIN? Two guys that (one that has always been, and the other that just recently figured it out) are hard workers and the top two players in the game. In my opinion ... let Beau learn from the best rather than be frustrated by grinders.

My concern is him getting hurt. If he can't handle himself along the boards, the chances are greater that he gets injured.

He's crafty, so maybe he will be ok.

I honestly have no idea what to expect.

wtbipyo

Jun 24, 2010
My concern is him getting hurt. If he can't handle himself along the boards, the chances are greater that he gets injured.

He's crafty, so maybe he will be ok.

I honestly have no idea what to expect.

I'm right there with you. He already has the injury bug. This truly is an important variable to look at. Do we see if he can survive the entire season in WBS, or do we get what we can while we can in the NHL?

Is anyone else seeing a comparison of Beau with Ales Hemsky? (or am I reaching a bit here...)

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
As much as I want to see more skill on this team, and as much as the thought of Bennett in the top six intrigues and excites me, I think right now I want him as far away from Bylsma as possible.

Unless we want Bennett to start learning how to "get to our game".

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
As much as I want to see more skill on this team, and as much as the thought of Bennett in the top six intrigues and excites me, I think right now I want him as far away from Bylsma as possible.

Unless we want Bennett to start learning how to "get to our game".

The Penguins have worked with Bennett on adapting to their up-tempo system. Bennett has a tendency to slow down the play, taking advantage of his ability to see the ice.

Nothing in coach Dan Bylsma‘s system is based on slowing down the play.

“They‘ve made it pretty clear to me that Pittsburgh Penguins hockey is all about north and south,”
Bennett said. “That‘s been a change for me a little bit, but I‘m getting used to it, and I have a pretty good idea of what they want out of me.”

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/3253847-74/bennett-penguins-beau#axzz2Hbf9TbPW

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Basically, it's a good thing Mario Lemieux didn't come along during the Bylsma era.

I don't know what to really say anymore. I'm just trying to be optimistic. BB is a talented kid, so he can hopefully overcome it.

Tangradi was turned into a robot and his development was botched. I wish they had allowed him to play the skill game he is capable of, but it didn't happen and DB and the Pen's brass did what they did.

All we can do is hope things work out for the two of them.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
It's VERY frustrating. Not every player can play the same style. That's B.S. Enough with trying to fit square pegs into round holes.

How many young players are we going to 'botch' before we realize we have a cancer for a head coach/style of play?

AND, how is vision and puck patience a bad thing? If it is, then your system is flawed beyond belief.

What other idiot coach tells young players NOT to slow the play down???

This is truly insane.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It's VERY frustrating. Not every player can play the same style. That's B.S. Enough with trying to fit square pegs into round holes.

How many young players are we going to 'botch' before we realize we have a cancer for a head coach/style of play?

AND, how is vision and puck patience a bad thing? If it is, then your system is flawed beyond belief.

What other idiot coach tells young players NOT to slow the play down???

This is truly insane.

It's not something I like to read/hear... But BB is doing well enough down there, so that is a positive.

Tangradi has become a robot and I hate seeing it, because I know how skilled he was/is (although he isn't on BB level).

It's a fine line between letting your young kids use their talent, and giving them too much rope to hang themselves. I'm not sure if DB knows how to tow that line, but he can learn and move away from his stubborn ways.

We now have another talented fwd prospect to follow and I believe/hope DB learned something from the Flyers about youth and potential. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad