Will Atlanta Get Another Team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Interesting this thread has come up. Gary Bettman was in Vancouver this week doing his radio hits. some how the topic of Atlanta came up and he said if someone built a arena in the Cobb County Are near where the Braves play he said it could work. perhaps the next project for OEG after Seattle and NY Islanders arenas are built

dkitson16

Jul 23, 2017
Will they? Not soon. No willing owner and no suitable arena.

Are they capable of supporting a team? Yes. Poor product and ownership hurt them both times. Their attendance was still better or near that of a lot of current stable franchises.

And Anaheim and Dallas have no veto power over San Diego and Austin. They can vote no and try and persuade the other owners not to support those locations. But having an AHL franchise in the market gives them no automatic veto.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I think they represent a much better market than Miami, especially for growth. If a franchise were to relocate. I can't see someone ponying up for an expansion team.

NBC would go for a division of the NewYork teams, Philly, Pitt, Washington, Carolina, Atlanta and Tampa if the NHL wanted to expand to 33 teams (Quebec).

Honestly it would be more feasible to bring affordable hockey to the South. The AHL is more the price point to promote growth and interest. I'd suggest having a South presence in the A.

Orlando (Fla)
New Orleans (Hou)
Atlanta (Nash)
Charlotte (Car)
Baltimore (Wash)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Interesting this thread has come up. Gary Bettman was in Vancouver this week doing his radio hits. some how the topic of Atlanta came up and he said if someone built a arena in the Cobb County Are near where the Braves play he said it could work. perhaps the next project for OEG after Seattle and NY Islanders arenas are built

So, 20 years ago, the Phillips Arena was in the right location, but now it is not. Hmm.. Sounds like Arizona where Glendale was fine in the early millennium, but not any more.

I don't see it making sense for someone to build another 18K indoor stadium when it would be that close to the Phillips Arena? Are there enough other events for the 2 buildings to split that keep both profitable? Phillips is closing in on 20 years, and we've seen ATL knock down Turner Field after 20 years and the Georgia dome under 30 years, but I don't think the Hawks are moving to new digs anytime soon.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
So, 20 years ago, the Phillips Arena was in the right location, but now it is not. Hmm.. Sounds like Arizona where Glendale was fine in the early millennium, but not any more.

I don't see it making sense for someone to build another 18K indoor stadium when it would be that close to the Phillips Arena? Are there enough other events for the 2 buildings to split that keep both profitable? Phillips is closing in on 20 years, and we've seen ATL knock down Turner Field after 20 years and the Georgia dome under 30 years, but I don't think the Hawks are moving to new digs anytime soon.

Turner Field was not demolished, it was given to Georgia State University, and FYI, Phillips is sitting on the site that the Omni sat previously, Street.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Poor ownership ( twice) led to the Flames & the Thrashers leaving. That said, it's a large market with a unique culture.

So, should Atlanta be awarded a franchise in the next few years?

NO

It is not just poor ownership, Atlanta is a bad pro sports town. They fail to support all of their teams, not just hockey.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I think they represent a much better market than Miami, especially for growth. If a franchise were to relocate. I can't see someone ponying up for an expansion team.

NBC would go for a division of the NewYork teams, Philly, Pitt, Washington, Carolina, Atlanta and Tampa if the NHL wanted to expand to 33 teams (Quebec).

Honestly it would be more feasible to bring affordable hockey to the South. The AHL is more the price point to promote growth and interest. I'd suggest having a South presence in the A.

Orlando (Fla)
New Orleans (Hou)
Atlanta (Nash)
Charlotte (Car)
Baltimore (Wash)
Among those list of cities if they ever got an NHL team I would like it to be Orlando.

Selfishly I go there twice a year for vacation and would love the chance to possibly see the Leafs play them there.

Plus I have been to the Amyway Center when the Toronto Raptors played the Orlando Magic and since that's also the home to the Orlando Solar Bears of the ECHL, they can support putting down ice for Hockey games.

Finally they would have an instant rival with Tampa since it's an hour drive between both cities.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I hope not. Go to Quebec City or Kansas City instead.
Kansas City has essentially denied all attempts for NHL consideration.... besides that, the market is essentially covered as long the Hunts own the ECHL Mavericks, the logical extension of that is St. Louis being the affiliate, but they have passed on owning and operating their affiliate, in either league, after investigating said option, that's why nothing came of the AHL to KC, and the league has ended all discussions where in.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I want a Canadian market to be considered first, but I do miss the Thrasher jerseys. Always loved them!

NSHPreds1835

Glads/Preds
May 24, 2011
Monroe GA
And when was the last time Hawks actually put out a contender? Even when they were a playoff team no one thought they would have any chance of winning the title.

That's because they really didn't. When was the last time a non Lebron James Eastern Conference team went to the Finals?

I want a Canadian market to be considered first, but I do miss the Thrasher jerseys. Always loved them!

The blue home ones with Atlanta down the sleeve were the best, followed by the original white jersey.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Perhaps in 20 years. If a prospective owner builds an arena (probably with some help from the county/city) in the northern part of the GMA where I am hearing the majority of hockey fans are the NHL might become more viable. By that point the city would be what? 7.5 - 8 million given current growth rates? That is large enough to support 2 "big league" arenas (assuming Phillips is still in reasonably good condition and still be renovated at that point) that could split concerts and other events outside of sports.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Perhaps in 20 years. If a prospective owner builds an arena (probably with some help from the county/city) in the northern part of the GMA where I am hearing the majority of hockey fans are the NHL might become more viable. By that point the city would be what? 7.5 - 8 million given current growth rates? That is large enough to support 2 "big league" arenas (assuming Phillips is still in reasonably good condition and still be renovated at that point) that could split concerts and other events outside of sports.
Are there any areas just before Atlanta like where the Braves built Sun Trust Park?

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
I lived in Atlanta for 4 years going to college there (2007-2011) and have a ton of friends there (and go back every year). And let me say, Atlanta is not a pro sports town at all. The Falcons, Hawks, and Braves don’t get nearly as much attention as college sports do, and the Thrashers were a distant 4th sports team when I was there. Even though they have a new soccer team everyone is excited about, it’ll eventually pass. Safe to say, I don’t see hockey working again in Atlanta

nhlfan79

Feb 3, 2005
Atlanta, GA
NO

It is not just poor ownership, Atlanta is a bad pro sports town. They fail to support all of their teams, not just hockey.

When will this myth die?

Atlanta United’s record-breaking 2017 attendance by the numbers

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2017/09/25/braves-attendance-jumps-28-in-2017.html

As is being proven with Atlanta United, Atlanta would easily work as an NHL market so long as there is stable, committed ownership that is interested in fielding a competitive team, pretty much like any other market. Tampa, Dallas, and Nashville are what a competently run Atlanta franchise would look like. The Thrashers failed because ASG deliberately sabotaged the team in order to favor their preferred Hawks. This has been discussed ad nauseum here. It was not a failure of the market itself.

As for Philips Arena, I have it on good authority that, even after the renovations, it will be possible for the arena to host a hockey tenant. The courtside bar for the Hawks is fully moveable, and in fact is moved for concerts. I've heard through the same well-placed grapevine that Hawks/arena ownership isn't interested in an NHL tenant, but is interested in the idea of an AHL team in the not-too-immediate future (i.e. two or three years down the road).

King_Stannis

Jun 14, 2007
Erie PA, USA
The Thrashers owners didn't want to interest the fans and wanted them gone! It was not the fans fault, but whatever helps you feel good about yourself. Get that through your head. You and people of your "hockey region" are not that special that only you can appreciate hockey.

Tampa is a first class organization with a fantastic owner, great arena location, great management, past success to draw upon, and knows how to market. The Panthers have none of that, so it's no wonder they struggle.

Though, I wouldn't blame hockey fans in Atlanta if they never want the NHL back. With "fans" like you and a community that relished their demise so much, that's not a crowd worth anyone's time.

Bettman: "Welcome back to the NHL, Atlanta! Yeah, they all still hate you...."
Wow, chip on your shoulder much?

NSHPreds1835

Glads/Preds
May 24, 2011
Monroe GA
When will this myth die?
As for Philips Arena, I have it on good authority that, even after the renovations, it will be possible for the arena to host a hockey tenant. The courtside bar for the Hawks is fully moveable, and in fact is moved for concerts. I've heard through the same well-placed grapevine that Hawks/arena ownership isn't interested in an NHL tenant, but is interested in the idea of an AHL team in the not-too-immediate future (i.e. two or three years down the road).

I'd be cool with an AHL team. I maintain that the Infinite Energy Center is the perfect size in terms of capacity for AHL hockey, if hypothetical Atlanta AHL team hooked up with Nashville then that would be even better.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
When will this myth die?

Atlanta United’s record-breaking 2017 attendance by the numbers

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2017/09/25/braves-attendance-jumps-28-in-2017.html

As is being proven with Atlanta United, Atlanta would easily work as an NHL market so long as there is stable, committed ownership that is interested in fielding a competitive team, pretty much like any other market. Tampa, Dallas, and Nashville are what a competently run Atlanta franchise would look like. The Thrashers failed because ASG deliberately sabotaged the team in order to favor their preferred Hawks. This has been discussed ad nauseum here. It was not a failure of the market itself.

So how come when the Atlanta Braves were still winning their division every year why did they not sell out their games at Turner Field despite being a winning team? One reason I heard is the fans were sick of just winning the NL East and not having more than 1 World Series title.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad