Will any goalie ever eclipse Grant Fuhr's 14pt season?

Will a goalie ever beat Fuhr's 14pt season?

• Total voters

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Not enough end to end rushes anymore. Don't think so.
That is the answer.

For a goalie to have an assist, he has to touch the puck, the puck to get to the other side of the ice and into the net with no more than 3 players touching it afterwards. With all the passing going on offensively before opening up holes, it is unlikely it will happen more than a few times per season for a single goalie. Let alone 14 times.

• Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

McDavid is too whiny

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Not unless there is some major change somewhere. The game having less end to Enders as mentioned plus no goalie plays enough anymore. It’s like baseball and pitcher win totals.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
While 14 is high, it's not a ridiculous number so at some point someone will probably pass it just by fluke or whatever.

Peter Puck

Sep 10, 2005
I think goalie assists in regular season overtimes are going to be increasingly common. With only 4 players on the ice there is a much higher chance of a goalie getting an assist. In my view it could happen.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Voted maybe so I cant be wrong.

You yes/no people. smh

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Fuhr:
Stop puck behind net. Coffey picks it up and passes to Gretzky. Gretzky scores.

Barrasso:
Stop puck behind net. Coffey picks it up and passes to Lemieux. Lemieux scores.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
To many people thinking this will go to the best goalie, this will end up going to a goalie who has a fast transition team. I'd wager if it'll happen it'll be with someone like mcdavid

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The best bet I see is if Georgiev-Makar-Mackinnon happens a bunch of times this upcoming season. You basically need a combination that likes to transition quick and likes to score off the rush with as few touches as possible, not necessarily the Gretzky of goalies doing anything remarkable.

Reactions: Colezuki

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Yes, but not by a current NHL goalie.

To many people thinking this will go to the best goalie, this will end up going to a goalie who has a fast transition team. I'd wager if it'll happen it'll be with someone like mcdavid
When you say like I assume you mean someone who is similar to him. Someone with insane skating and offensive upside. In which case, I'd agree.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Yes, but not by a current NHL goalie.

When you say like I assume you mean someone who is similar to him. Someone with insane skating and offensive upside. In which case, I'd agree.
Correct, I think it'll be a goalie on a team with a very fast transition player where the goalie basically feeds a 100pt - 50g player the 2nd assist 10 times in a year along with 5 random points along the way.

Reactions: thadd

Kaiden Ghoul

Youppi va t’il devoir chauser ses patins calvaince
Jan 19, 2020
Patrick Roy could have done it if it was not for the red line rules :sarcasm:

Reactions: Fig

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Forever is a long time. Just need to right combination of puck handling goalie + puck moving dman + elite/generational scorer...eventually the stars will likely align again IMO

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
In the 1983-84 regular season Fuhr had a 14pt season(all assists, and in only 45 games!). With the trapezoid in place goalie scoring has taken a bit of a hit, but maybe the next goaltending offensive dynamo is waiting in the wings. People like to talk about Gretzky's career point record as being one of the most untouchable in all of sports but what about Fuhr's 🧐

Frederik Andersen led the league in goalie scoring last year with 4pts.

who has 2nd place?

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I put yes at first, but after reviewing scoring totals for goalies I don't think so.

Someone already mentioned Mike Smith as the best scoring goaltender and he's got 21 pts in 16 years...

But also, I definitely expected a guy like Price to have had more than 2 assists in a season. He has been one of the best NHL goalies at handling the puck in the past 20 years, and very aggressive at doing so. He got 13 ps in 712 games.

Since 2000, Kari Lethonen leads goalies in points with 28 in 649 games...

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
Didn’t realize he had that record. That’s a lot of points. No one will touch that. That’s the benefit of playing with the Oilers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad