Will any goalie ever eclipse Grant Fuhr's 14pt season?

Will a goalie ever beat Fuhr's 14pt season?

• Total voters

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
In the 1983-84 regular season Fuhr had a 14pt season(all assists, and in only 45 games!). With the trapezoid in place goalie scoring has taken a bit of a hit, but maybe the next goaltending offensive dynamo is waiting in the wings. People like to talk about Gretzky's career point record as being one of the most untouchable in all of sports but what about Fuhr's 🧐

Frederik Andersen led the league in goalie scoring last year with 4pts.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Shesterkin
And I would bet any money on him scoring at least one goal before his career is over. He’s a very aggressive puck handler and very confident in playing the puck, and in shooting for empty nets.

Reactions: King Karl

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
not under current rules

but I voted maybe because "not under current rules" is not quite the same thing as "no" since I don't at all think it's a given that there won't be rule changes that lead to more Goalie scoring at some point

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
It’ll be Igor. His puck handling and passing is ridiculous and his balls are big enough to start pulling more moves. I think it was against the Canes in the playoffs where we were up by 2/3 goals he tried pulling a move on a Canes forechecker when he had the puck behind the net. He ended up turning it over sure but the willingness and ability for him to turn into the NHL’s Manuel Neuer is there. In one of his first few NHL games I remember being surprised by him even having the courage to shoot for the empty net. Routinely makes crisp saucer passes the opposing blue line

And yes he did have a few assists in the playoffs. More points than Schneider, Goodrow, Motte, Rooney, Braun, Nemeth and Reaves

I would not be surprised with a 1 goal 7-10 assist season from him next year

Reactions: rangersfansince08

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
Fuhr makes save, Coffey retrieves puck, passes to Gretzky, shoots for a goal or pass to Kurri or whoever then goal.

Reactions: banks

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
It could happen maybe if using goaltenders as a systemic part of the breakout became the norm.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
I think Fuhr's season mark and Tom Barrasso's career mark of 48 seem to be pretty safe. The active goalie leaders are Fleury, Quick, and Mike Smith with a mere 20 each and they're obviously at the end of their careers. BTW, Barrasso's season high was 8 (done twice).

My Best-Carey

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Really not likely. The highest point producing goalie in the NHL right now is Mike Smith who in 16 SEASONS has 1 g and 20 assists for 21 points. So ya, getting 14 points in 1 season is not likely. Vasilevski has 16 points in 8 season among the younger guys.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Maybe is the correct answer at this moment. If anyone does it, I'll change my answer to yes. No is a valid choice too if the league ceases to exist before anyone does it. #logic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad