Pre-Game Talk: Wild vs Jets - Fri Oct 20 7:00pm CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
Why is everyone giving little snippets? Here's the full rap on the Jets line combos last year at 5v5 which are also adjusted.

LMIVmn5.png

I'd pay particular attention to the actual numbers of xGF and xGA so we're not entirely fooled by the percentages. Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler had the 4th highest xGF%, which came with 10.82 xGF (3rd highest). If you look at Matthias-Lowry-Armia, they had 13.49 xGF for top in that category, but that came because of their 367 minutes of TOI at 5v5. ESW accomplished that in less TOI, and were expected to give up fewer goals as well.

Additionally, remember that Corsica's xG model does not consider "shooter talent" (DTM's considered previous shooting percentage, based on the assumption that some shooters are better than others (i.e. Steven Stamkos's shot likely has a higher chance of scoring in certain shots than Tanner Glass's)). From his blog post from the Corsica 1.0 days:
Damn, Perreault-Little-Wheeler was a lot better than I thought, their xGA was a lot lower than their actual GA. They must have been screwed over by poor goaltending. ESL should be put back together, same with PLW, or replace Perreault with Connor and make Perreault carry the third line with Lowry and Armia.

Lowered Expectations

Marner money
Feb 3, 2017
I guess Maurice thinks if he puts ESL back together it is no-brainer for opponent to pinpoint shutdown procedures against that line. And that is true. He's afraid we won't be able to have good enough 2nd line to take charge of scoring if ESL gets smothered.

Reactions: Saintb

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I wonder if Kulikov is healthy enough to start this game ??? and I sure hope the Jets are playing Connor vs the Wild. I'll say it again, this guy is a minimal 50 point scorer, and I'd say just about as fast as Ehlers. Connor will be a star for the Jets.Leave him up !!!

Do the Jet's want to win or not ??? Why was Connor ever sent down in the first place. It makes you really wonder about "coaching" and it's assessment of talent ??? I really blows my mind. The players are not being used right. Also when MP comes back, they should have a Top 9 and forget about Top 6. This teams needs to get all the goals they can, and also tighten up defensively.

Maurice is so worried about creating defensive lines to adjust to other team's talent, whereas he should let other teams adjust to our talent. We can outscore the opposition.

Also he should start Helle, who's playing at SP of .937 % - until he starts to falter. Right now Helle's numbers are right among the top in the NHL. Mason is just not cutting it, and when you let in soft goals, it deflates the whole team and they give up the effort.

NOTE- These are "simple" basic things !!! - why can't Maurice see that ??? Makes me wonder ??? this really pisses me off bigtime !!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
I wonder if Kulikov is healthy enough to start this game ??? and I sure hope the Jets are playing Connor vs the Wild. I'll say it again, this guy is a minimal 50 point scorer, and I'd say just about as fast as Ehlers. Connor will be a star for the Jets.Leave him up !!!
Do the Jet's want to win or not ??? Why was Connor ever sent down in the first place. It makes you really wonder about "coaching" and it's assessment of talent ??? I really blows my mind. The players are not being used right. Also when MP comes back, they should have a Top 9 and forget about Top 6. This teams needs to get all the goals they can, and also tighten up defensively.
Maurice is so worried about creating defensive lines to adjust to other team's talent, whereas he should let other teams adjust to our talent. We can outscore the opposition.
Also he should start Helle, who's playing at SP of .937 % - until he starts to falter. Right now Helle's numbers are right among the top in the NHL. Mason is just not cutting it, and when you let in soft goals, it deflates the whole team and they give up the effort.
NOTE- This are "simple" basic things !!! - why can't Maurice see that ??? Makes me wonder ???
This is really a big issue. Maurice has them too worried about playing the opposing teams game, we don't even have a game of our own to play. Why must we always change our game based on the opponent? Why can we not just play our own game, build our own identity, and get good at it instead of always have a different gameplan going into each game? That's not going to help the team when they have to play each game completely different.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
This is really a big issue. Maurice has them too worried about playing the opposing teams game, we don't even have a game of our own to play. Why must we always change our game based on the opponent? Why can we not just play our own game, build our own identity, and get good at it instead of always have a different gameplan going into each game? That's not going to help the team when they have to play each game completely different.

Yes, you "very right" Fes- we need our own Identity, and let other teams adjust to us !!!

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Lowry isn't slow, especially for his size. Probably one of the fastest players of that size actually.

Lowry is listed at 6'5, 210lbs. Wheeler, Myers, Byfuglien and Laine are all his size and every single one of them is faster, including Byfuglien who has 50 pounds on him. Scheifele, Armia, Matthias and Trouba are all in the same size ballpark - and all significantly faster than Lowry. To be fast-est, you first have to be fast-er than someone. Anyone?

This is not news to Lowry, he jokes about his speed and spends every summer working almost exclusively on skating with a power skating coach.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Lowry is listed at 6'5, 210lbs. Wheeler, Myers, Byfuglien and Laine are all his size and every single one of them is faster, including Byfuglien who has 50 pounds on him. Scheifele, Armia, Matthias and Trouba are all in the same size ballpark - and all significantly faster than Lowry. To be fast-est, you first have to be fast-er than someone. Anyone?

This is not news to Lowry, he jokes about his speed and spends every summer working almost exclusively on skating with a power skating coach.

His top end speed is no longer an issue. On the back check he regularly catches players thought to be faster. His quickness could use a little work but he's also improved there IMO.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I hope the Jets play a really good game and win , way too much time until the next game and loosing ugly again will make the break between games even longer . :eek:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
His top end speed is no longer an issue. On the back check he regularly catches players thought to be faster. His quickness could use a little work but he's also improved there IMO.
He's faster and quicker, though still not high end. However, his positioning is very good and he has a long reach with a good stick, so he is very effective defensively in his zone. In the offensive zone he has good positioning, thinks quickly, and usually makes a good play with the puck.

Reactions: Dayofthedogs

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
We win tonight we are on a 94 point pace for the season. Just saying.

While I've been concerned about the Jets' play over the first six games, I think its "yuge" that they are still at .500. If we can keep at .500 while playing like garbage, we won't be in a big hole and when things start gelling we'll be able to pull away rather than have to dig our way out.

I think the team has been playing weak but I've been really impressed with Hellebuyck. He's been playing like the starter that his proponents have been saying he was. He keeps this up, the future is bright. Lets get Helle to a 4-0 record to start the season tonight!

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
While I've been concerned about the Jets' play over the first six games, I think its "yuge" that they are still at .500. If we can keep at .500 while playing like garbage, we won't be in a big hole and when things start gelling we'll be able to pull away rather than have to dig our way out.

I think the team has been playing weak but I've been really impressed with Hellebuyck. He's been playing like the starter that his proponents have been saying he was. He keeps this up, the future is bright. Lets get Helle to a 4-0 record to start the season tonight!

Staying at real 0.500 is big time important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad