Wild to wear North Stars jerseys for warmup

RussosBurner

Jun 19, 2012
State of Hockey
Not sure if this has been talked about yet or not. Wild are going to wearing North Stars jerseys for warmups on April 4th, it's been 50 years since the Stars came to Minnesota. How do people feel about this? Love it, hate it, indifferent? Personally, even as someone who was an infant when the North Stars left, I like it. In my mind, North Stars history belongs in Minnesota and even though the Wild are a completely different team and I support building our own 'Wild' tradition, I still like seeing those colors in Minnesota and wish we could do more things like this to sort of honor North Star history here. Curious as to what opinions you guys have.

http://http://m.startribune.com/wild-to-wear-north-stars-jerseys-in-warmups/417361083/

Rick74*

Oct 7, 2016
London, Ont
Love it!

I loved those jerseys and really wish Dallas didn't retain the name.

Mnnesota_North_Stars_1988_Away_CCM_Vintage_Jersey_1024x1024.png

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
It's a great logo for one thing. Sports is about image and icon. I trace a lot of the decline in the NHL product to rebranding decisions: the Buffalo slug, the Islanders sea captain, teams using ridiculous third jerseys, the Thrashers and the Coyotes and the Ducks picking about twenty colors each... no wonder people didn't tune in.

At about the same time you lost the Nordiques, the Whalers, the Jets and the North Stars, all of which had great jersey/logo designs. So not only was there a betrayal of growing and loyal fanbases (economics aside) there was a reinvention that took a lot of visual appeal out of the game.

I think the league and individual teams have come a long way in terms of visual branding (although the Blue Jackets concept hasn't made much sense). You want to look good on tv, and make mersh that fans actually want to wear. The North Stars had that style. It was a better look, a better team name... would have been nice to see Modano, Lehtinen, Zubov, Nieuwendyk, Langenbrunner and Broten hoist a Cup in the state of hockey.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Yeah, definitely wish we were still the "North Stars" as opposed to the "Wild".... but oh well. It's been what, 25 years since the move? I guess we should be over it. But I definitely agree, I wish the name/history had stayed here. Alas.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
It just makes me sorely miss the North Stars. I was still young when they left but I vividly remember the 1991 cup run. I remember just losing it when they announced they were leaving MN. I still play NHLPA 93 just so I can be the North Stars. I really wanted the Wild to just be the North Stars. That being said, I still appreciate this sentiment and fully agree that the history of the North Stars belongs here and not to Dallas. I have complete resentment for that place. I know I sound bitter, but the North Stars were hockey to me. I shared my only real memories of my grandpa at North Stars games. I want nothing more than to have that team back.

RussosBurner

Jun 19, 2012
State of Hockey
I wonder if the organization tried to get the league to allow them to be called the North Stars again when expansion came or if they said right from the start that they needed to create clear separation between the two franchises. I have to imagine the league shut it down due to Dallas being the Stars. That's where the league messed up either way, Dallas never should have been allowed to take that name with them.

That goes for all pro sports teams that relocate, IMO. Once you leave a city, part of the payment for that should be that you rebrand and leave behind the heritage that belongs to that city/state.

SP1966

Feb 11, 2013
Las Vegas
While I realize the Saints never played in the NHL they share history with the Wild both being located in St.Paul. That and I always loved both the name and the logo, in fact that was what I was hoping would be the Wild's name! They should play a game or two every year in Fighting Saints uniforms IMO!!!!!

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I mean, as sweet as the old North Stars logo/sweater is, if they're not going to give it back to us just move on and stop teasing us with it.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
I mean, as sweet as the old North Stars logo/sweater is, if they're not going to give it back to us just move on and stop teasing us with it.

Yeah, no kidding. As much as I (and thousands of others, no doubt) would theoretically love a Wild -> North Stars re-brand, the ship has long since sailed.

Agree with MarcolepsyScandella though that the heritage, history, and all that of a franchise should stay in place when some greedy owner moves and/or sells a team. But since it's all about money (at least in North American sports), that's not really on the agenda of the powers that be.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Spoke with my rep about them yesterday when I paid for my tickets next year. While she doesn't believe they would be the colors for next year, there was a lot of feedback from STH's that they wanted the colors (if anything) back if possible. Wonder if this is a concession just appease the fanbase at least once a year type thing as a practice jersey?

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
Nothing annoys me more than stealing a name / history when you're moving cities. The North Stars and pre move history are for Minnesota, not the half-name team.

It would've been interesting if they went with the green and yellow right from the get go on expansion, although the name is just amazing too. They definitiely could've swung it with the Stars and North Stars in the league. Hell, it could've been North Stars v Lone Stars rivalry, with our classic colors vs the crappy rebrand colors in Dalass

EDIT: Would be cool too if they became the official third jersey / winter classic jersey, and eventually got phased in as the normal colors, and then maybe one of our greens would be the thirds. Then we'd have even more nostalgia for the "retro" 2000 era jerseys, or our current thirds

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Nothing annoys me more than stealing a name / history when you're moving cities. The North Stars and pre move history are for Minnesota, not the half-name team.

It would've been interesting if they went with the green and yellow right from the get go on expansion, although the name is just amazing too. They definitiely could've swung it with the Stars and North Stars in the league. Hell, it could've been North Stars v Lone Stars rivalry, with our classic colors vs the crappy rebrand colors in Dalass

Ugh, no kidding. Considering how many other sports teams have similar names (Red Sox, White Sox... incl. the same spelling error!!), not sure why the NHL of the 90s assumed that hockey fans would get confused by it. Of course the more likely scenario is that they simply didn't care. This was the era of plucking teams from cold places full of hockey fans and moving them to warm places with comparatively few, after all :sarcasm:

Aceofspades

Mar 24, 2017
Finland
EDIT: Would be cool too if they became the official third jersey / winter classic jersey, and eventually got phased in as the normal colors, and then maybe one of our greens would be the thirds. Then we'd have even more nostalgia for the "retro" 2000 era jerseys, or our current thirds

No it would not be cool, either get the team back or quit using them like this.

Aceofspades

Mar 24, 2017
Finland
All this does is stoke the fire for all the crazies who can't let go.......like me.

I also love all of the old teams that died, North Stars, Whalers, Nordiques and others.
For me they are just as legendary as the O6, they have prestige that Wild cant have until it wins, sorry to say.
Being a Wild fan is a form of masochism on many levels.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
Was a huge fan back in the day. Went to the 3rd to the last home game. Sat in my seat for almost an hour in total disbelief they were leaving. (Fine. I cried. Happy now?)

That said, it's a dead franchise. Time to move on.

We have what we have. It's not going to change. This throwback jersey nonsense is foolish.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
Just gotta have the Wild shift from green,red, wheat to just green and wheat, and then slowly the wheat becomes yellow :)

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
People need to let the North Stars go. Dallas may not "own" the name...but they are the same franchise IMO...just moved. I personally think the Jets made a huge mistake by bringing back the name when the records and history all reside in Arizona.
Appreciating history is one thing...trying to bring it back is something else. You can't bring things back from the dead and the North Stars are dead.

WildNorway

Jan 13, 2017
North Stars is as mentioned before me, dead.
But its ok to honor the dead, and a NS inspired Wild jersey is more than enough to honor old glory.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
People need to let the North Stars go. Dallas may not "own" the name...but they are the same franchise IMO...just moved. I personally think the Jets made a huge mistake by bringing back the name when the records and history all reside in Arizona.
Appreciating history is one thing...trying to bring it back is something else. You can't bring things back from the dead and the North Stars are dead.

75637f59b51f40c08e2b1b6519c7640c62652ac252367439c40a1d2d301ff272.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad