Confirmed with Link: Wild signs Dereck Baribeau to an ELC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Wrong handed goalie. He took the losses in the prospect games this year. That's all I know about him.

I wonder if this means the Wild have given up on signing Kaapo Kahkonen?

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Good potential and nice size at 6'6.

He was highly touted before his QMJHL draft. He was great in Midget AAA and in the Canadian Winter Games. He went 5th overall to Val D'Or in the 2015 QMJHL Draft. It didn't go well for him in Val D'Or and he was traded to Quebec Remparts in January 2017. That's when things started to get better. He finished strong with Quebec and will be their starter this season.

He's still 18. He can't turn pro until the 2019-2020 season.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Wrong handed goalie. He took the losses in the prospect games this year. That's all I know about him.

I'd suspect signing a goalie two years away from even seeing the AHL ice, let alone the NHL ice, and was just passed over by every team in the NHL has very little to do with any other prospects.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Good potential and nice size at 6'6.

He was highly touted before his QMJHL draft. He was great in Midget AAA and in the Canadian Winter Games. He went 5th overall to Val D'Or in the 2015 QMJHL Draft. It didn't go well for him in Val D'Or and he was traded to Quebec Remparts in January 2017. That's when things started to get better. He finished strong with Quebec and will be their starter this season.

He's still 18. He can't turn pro until the 2019-2020 season.

Thanks for the info.

Sounds like we had very little to lose. Young goalie, he'll get better. Good size. I watched some games from the prospect scrimmage, but the name didn't stick.

I don't think this has anything to do with Kaapo, by the way. He'll be a starter this year at Liiga. Let's see how he does, then bring him over if he does well.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Thanks for the info.

Sounds like we had very little to lose. Young goalie, he'll get better. Good size. I watched some games from the prospect scrimmage, but the name didn't stick.

I don't think this has anything to do with Kaapo, by the way. He'll be a starter this year at Liiga. Let's see how he does, then bring him over if he does well.

I was surprised Baribeau and Alex D'Orio went undrafted. Two goaltenders with NHL size and good potential but they were signed pretty fast by NHL teams (D'Orio signed with Pittsburgh). Only 7 rounds in the NHL Draft isn't enough I think. Teams have to sign that kind of prospect so they don't lose them.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Baribeau trained all summer with Minnesota's Goaltending Development coach Frederic Chabot. I guess his opinion had a real impact on the decision to sign him.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012

Don't the Wild retain his NHL rights forever, like with Kaprizov?

Or do they have a different agreement for Finns.

Maybe Kahponen will see his President drop the puck tonite, with his national team captain, and think, "hey, I want me some of that."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad