Wild re-stock up front

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
With the task ahead of signing 4 forwards (Dubinsky, Kennedy, Nilsson and Brodziak) and trading a 5th (MacArthur), GM Greg Dockus clearly had the idea of putting a few more forward prospects in the system, and he did just that:

1st round 16th pick Nicolas Deschamps----Chicoutimi

This lanky forward came out of nowhere last year to pot 24 goals and add 43 assists in 70 games for Chicoutimi. Not only was he named to the All-Rookie team in the QMJHL, he was named Best Defensive player. Was named Rookie of the Month twice, and represented Canada in the U-18 tourney, coming home with a gold. Much like another foward Minnesota drafted a few years ago out of the 'Q', Deschamps has the all around game of Patrice Bergeron, and wouldn't be surprised to see him in the NHL sooner than many who will be drafted before him.

Potential NHL home-Montreal

2nd round 57th pick Josh Brittain----Kinsgston

6'4'' 210 lb winger had 28 goals for Kingston last year. Was a teammate of Deschamps on the Canadian U-18 team. Battles hard for the puck and he takes up a ton of room in front of the net. Needs work on skating, but most big guys not named Mario Lemieux did too. If you look up "future power forward", there aren't many in this draft you would see before Brittain.

Potential NHL home-Chicago

3rd round 76th pick Joel Broda----Moose Jaw

30 goals and 23 assists for Moose Jaw last year. 6' 200 pounder comes into the draft with NHL size already, and may grow into a Jarrett Stoll type, which is good, because that's his favorite player. Fast, character guy who has offensive upside.

Potential NHL home-Rangers

Look for the Wild to grab at least 1 goalie with their later round picks. While they have a nice group of forwards and defensemen, they need some more help in net.

Last edited:

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Ironically, Brittain wasn't my target in the 2nd round......the three guys I had focused on were Adam (picked 5 spots before me), Sauve (3 picks before me) and Josi (picked right before me). So the curses came outta my mouth before they came out of anyone else.

:)

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Well, I htink you dodged a bullet there: I think Brittain has a decent chance to be the better pro than Adam, Yann Sauve wasn't even on my board, and Josi - he may be the best player, but will he come to the NHL? He'll be good enough to earn great money in Switzerland...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad