Wild open season with 5-0 win

Status
Not open for further replies.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
The Minnesota Wild took care of business in their season opener, taking care of Florida 5-0. Dan Cloutier turned away all 21 Panther shots and 5 different Wild players found the back of the net. Marco Sturm has a goal and 2 assists, Jason Arnott had a tally and assist and Ladislav Nagy and Bryce Salvador each had 2 assists.

"No complaints from me, " said head coach Michel Therrien. "The problems we had in the pre-season scoring took care of themselves tonight. But tomorrow, in Philadelphia, we need to keep the same level of play. The Flyers are tough and good defensively."

The Wild open the season on a 4-game road trip. After Phily they head to Calgary and San Jose. After a home game against Colorado, they go right out for 5 more roadies. "It gives us a chance to really come together as a team," said captain Jason Arnott. Therrien name Arnott captain before the Panther game. Cliff Ronning and Greg DeVries were named co-captians.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Wild coach Michel Therrien preaches safety with the puck. So, when Sergei Zholtok made a poor drop pass at the blue line with less than one minute to go in a 2-2 game, one can assume he wasn't happy. We have to assume because Therrien didn't meet with the press after the Wilds first loss of the season. "That was all my fault," said Zholtok. "I thought Pascal (Dupius) was going to cut behind me, but he skated straight in the zone. I should have just dumped it in and let the team get a chance in OT. I owe the team one."

The Wild outplayed Eastern Conference power Philadelphia, jumping out to a 2-0 first period lead and shot the Flyers 27-21. Minnesota plays in Calgary tonight on the 3rd stop of a 4 game trip.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
The first place Minnesota Wild.

Ok....only 3 games into the season...but it still sounds good to them!

Minnesota continued their road show with a 4-2 win over Calgary last night. 4 different Wild players scored goals in a great team effort. Dan Cloutier clearly outplayed his counterpart Roberto Luongo in net, and Martin St Louis and Jason Arnott each had 2 points in the winning effort.

The Wild are playing great team hockey as 12 players have at least 2 points after 3 games, 5 defensemen among them.

They close out their season-opening 4 game trip against a tough, tough foe. They face San Jose tonight before their first off day of the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad