Confirmed with Link: Wild names Matt Majka president; assistant GM Brent Flahr also promoted

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Wild names Matt Majka president; assistant GM Brent Flahr also promoted

Wild owner Craig Leipold announced the team’s front office moves in a release on Thursday.

Majka (above photo) moves from chief operating officer and executive vice president to his new role. The release said he will have responsibility for the team’s overall business units.

“Matt has been a tremendous leader of our business, brand and organizational culture for two decades,†said Leipold in the release. “In recognition of his proven record of accomplishments and inspiring passion for creating a greater State of Hockey, I’m proud to name him president of the Minnesota Wild.â€

Also, assistant GM Brent Flahr has been promoted to Senior Vice President of Hockey Operations. Andrew Brunette and Shep Harder were both promoted to Assistant General Manager. Brunette will have more responsibilities in the pro scouting division, and Harder will focus on player contracts.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I read that. It sounds like there are a bunch of made up titles to make people feel better about their job, involved with some of the promotions.

VP to Executive VP? So the VP answers to Executive VP and then the President of XYZ department? And the President of XYZ answers to someone else. And that someone else answers to the owner?

Good on people for getting promoted. The whole structure confuses me.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I read that. It sounds like there are a bunch of made up titles to make people feel better about their job, involved with some of the promotions.

VP to Executive VP? So the VP answers to Executive VP and then the President of XYZ department? And the President of XYZ answers to someone else. And that someone else answers to the owner?

Interesting that Flahr went from Assistant GM to VP of hockey ops, and now both Bruno and Shep Harder are both Assistant GM's. Sounds like they have a lot of faith in Bruno's abilities in the pro scouting department.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere

It is a standard corporate structure of any business that has as many moving parts as a professional sports franchise does. The biggest thing is there are typically not a ton of Presidents in a company. In most that is just the COO as they are "2nd in command" to the CEO. I think the Wild have 2: Majak, and Fredrickson who runs Iowa.

Executive Vice President (EVP) is a title generally used in larger companies. They typically has broad-based responsibilities, often being in charge of several functional areas. Sometimes and EVP can be an officer of the company, such as a CFO or COO.

Last edited:

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Interesting that Flahr went from Assistant GM to VP of hockey ops, and now both Bruno and Shep Harder are both Assistant GM's. Sounds like they have a lot of faith in Bruno's abilities in the pro scouting department.

Agree with you there. Which I'm a bit perplexed about unless Bruno was a huge reason they targeted Eric Staal for whatever reason. And Flahr going from Assistant GM to VP of Hockey Ops isn't that big of a move though. Not like he jumped a ton of rungs in the ladder. If anything it was basically a lateral move in effect that he's in control of a lot of the moving parts now with what goes on with the team behind the scenes. It does mean to me at the very least: Fletcher is definitely not going anywhere anytime soon then.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Agree with you there. Which I'm a bit perplexed about unless Bruno was a huge reason they targeted Eric Staal for whatever reason. And Flahr going from Assistant GM to VP of Hockey Ops isn't that big of a move though. Not like he jumped a ton of rungs in the ladder. If anything it was basically a lateral move in effect that he's in control of a lot of the moving parts now with what goes on with the team behind the scenes. It does mean to me at the very least: Fletcher is definitely not going anywhere anytime soon then.

The Flahr move was clearly made to make room to make Bruno and Shep Assistant GM's themselves. I get that.... I was calling that entire scenario interesting. I know it doesn't really change Flahr's job all that much.

As for Fletcher... I think it's been pretty clear for a while that he's in a very secure position. He's done well here.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011

Hopefully he's better at managing scouts than managing the powerplay. :help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad