Post-Game Talk: Wild def. Canucks - 2-1 (Boeser)

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Textbook Minnesota Mild game. Play some very, very low event hockey, shut down the middle, and hope that Kaprizov does something. He did two things tonight, which was enough to win.

Shot differential doesn't look particularly flattering, but Canucks consistently looked dangerous and were skating very well. I like the system Tocchet is working on quite a bit, and the personnel changes have made us younger, quicker, and stronger. The AHL guys are putting up great efforts, but dont quite have the skill to score a bunch at this level. Zone entries remain a struggle. On Minnesota's end, lots of weak shots that Demko easily handled. He's looking like the Demko we know, and not the Demko of the start of the year, which is reassuring in one regard, but not great for the tank. Tracking the puck well, managing rebounds with ease, and giving a real comfort and stability to the backend. Quite frankly, with our current PK performance and this guy in net, we'd probably be a playoff team.

Good -
Kravtsov : Looked fantastic. His skating is a real asset, may be the fastest guy on the team. Got involved in the play constantly, made an absolutely sublime pass that was chiefly responsible for the sole goal, was a Fleury toe away from scoring one himself, and did everything you want him to do with the excellent tools he has.

Podkolzin : Man, you really want him to put some in the net. Finishing is real low right now, but is otherwise doing everything else. He is a machine and literally cannot be stopped. Looks invigorated playing with Kravtsov. Dries has been a solid presence, but with a real 3C that opens up the middle these two could be really dangerous.

Wolanin : Constantly making skilled plays, smart passes, and quick lateral shifts. He's taken a huge step this year and looks like he's really developing into top 4 upside. Very, very excited to see him pair with Hronek.

Kuzmenko : Almost matched Kaprizov in the "making things happen from nothing" department a few times. Was only a couple inches off having a couple.

Demko : Thatcher Demko, unfortunately for the Sherman fans out there, is back and playing for the Canucks.

Meh -
Beauvillier : He's still making things happen with his speed and play reading, but had some trouble distributing and facilitating when he had the puck on his stick.

Pettersson : Quiet night for his standards. Didn't have a ton of time and space, but got his chances and made a few beautiful moves in tight.

Bleh -
Boeser : He really just cannot do much at this level. It takes him like 3 strides to go anywhere or do anything and his body is not keeping up with his mind. He's the Juolevi of forwards at this point.

Myers : I mean, it's Tyler Myers. Known quantity. He almost doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in any of these postgame write-ups, because he's so remarkably consistent at consistently poor decision making. Just hope he doesn't overstay his welcome and can be shoved down into the bottom pair forever now that we have Hronek. Thank god. Well worth the price of a 1st.

Last edited:

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Minny is a hard-working, disciplined, heavy team. Kaprizov is great. Fleury still capable of stealing a game.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Next year we will quietly have one of the deepest forward groups in the league. That's going to be a hell of a 3rd line with Podz and Kravs.
Gotta wonder where Hoglander fits. He’s on a tear in the AHL and I’d like to see him up by the end of the year. He’s 100% a NHL player to me.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Next year we will quietly have one of the deepest forward groups in the league. That's going to be a hell of a 3rd line with Podz and Kravs.
Please stop this

You need actual effective two-way players, and two middle six C with at least one capable of being a matchup/1st pk guy guy.

Talent alone gets you to where the canucks forward group is this season -> soft, bad defensively, lots of goals

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
i hate that people post his record as if anyone should expect anything else coaching the coyotes and a team that ices fraudulent centers and oel/myers
And what is our roster like?

You coach the hand you are dealt

This team does not look any better under the Tocchet regime. Zero structure and breakdowns everywhere

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Minny is a hard-working, disciplined, heavy team. Kaprizov is great. Fleury still capable of stealing a game.
Minny swept the Canucks this year, and they do it with defense not offense. There's a lesson there for the Canucks.

Wild are headed to the playoffs because they keep the puck out of their own net; Canucks are heading home in 20 games because they bleed goals and chances.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
And what is our roster like?

You coach the hand you are dealt

This team does not look any better under the Tocchet regime. Zero structure and breakdowns everywhere
They absolutely do look better than they did under BB.

Whether that actually means anything and whether I actually think Tocchet is anything more than an average coach… no.

Reactions: Indiana and geebaan

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Kravstov is faster and stronger than I thought he was, especially since Rags fans said he was weak for his height, I noticed some Wild players just bouncing off of him
Auditioning for a new contract? (RFA this off-season & took a one year deal and paycut on his current deal)

Whether that actually means anything and whether I actually think Tocchet is anything more than an average coach… no.
Wanna bet?:sarcasm:

EdJovanovski

#RempeForConnSmythe
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Textbook Minnesota Mild game. Play some very, very low event hockey, shut down the middle, and hope that Kaprizov does something. He did two things tonight, which was enough to win.

Shot differential doesn't look particularly flattering, but Canucks consistently looked dangerous and were skating very well. I like the system Tocchet is working on quite a bit, and the personnel changes have made us younger, quicker, and stronger. Zone entries remain a struggle. On Minnesota's end, lots of weak shots that Demko easily handled. He's looking like the Demko we know, and not the Demko of the start of the year, which is reassuring in one regard, but not great for the tank. Tracking the puck well, managing rebounds with ease, and giving a real comfort and stability to the backend. Quite frankly, with our current PK performance and this guy in net, we'd probably be a playoff team.

Good -
Kravtsov : Looked fantastic. His skating is a real asset, may be the fastest guy on the team. Got involved in the play constantly, made an absolutely sublime pass and was chiefly responsible for the sole goal, and did everything you want him to do with the tools he has.

Podkolzin : Man, you really want him to put some in the net. Finishing is real low right now, but is otherwise doing everything else. He is a machine and literally cannot be stopped. Looks invigorated playing with Kravtsov.

Wolanin : Constantly making skilled plays, smart passes, and quick lateral shifts. He's taken a huge step this year and looks like he's really developing into top 4 upside. Very, very excited to see him pair with Hronek.

Kuzmenko : Almost matched Kaprizov in the "making things happen from nothing" department a few times. Was only a couple inches off having a couple.

Demko : Thatcher Demko, unfortunately for the Sherman fans out there, is back and playing for the Canucks.

Meh -
Beauvillier : He's still making things happen with his speed and play reading, but had some trouble distributing and facilitating when he had the puck on his stick.

Pettersson : Quiet night for his standards. Didn't have a ton of time and space, but got his chances and made a few beautiful moves in tight.

Bleh -
Boeser : He really just cannot do much at this level. It takes him like 3 strides to go anywhere or do anything and his body is not keeping up with his mind. He's the Juolevi of forwards at this point.

Myers : I mean, it's Tyler Myers. Known quantity. He almost doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in any of these postgame write-ups, because he's so remarkably consistent at consistently poor decision making. Just hope he doesn't overstay his welcome and can be shoved down into the bottom pair forever now that we have Hronek. Thank god. Well worth the price of a 1st.
Krav is way faster than this honestly. He’s not in great game shape yet considering he played 1 game in 35 days. Expect him to look a lot faster than he does already when he’s up to his normal shape and not pacing himself.

Also take note of how much ice he covers rather than just how fast his legs move, he has some of the most efficient strides I’ve ever seen in my life. He gets around way faster than he already looks and he looks fast to begin with. Really elegant skater

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
they definitely look better under tocchet but they're playing a losing system now. they're gonna have a lot of moral victories where they only lose by a goal if they keep playing this way

Reactions: Indiana

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Krav is way faster than this honestly. He’s not in great game shape yet considering he played 1 game in 35 days. Expect him to look a lot faster than he does already when he’s up to his normal shape and not pacing himself.

Also take note of how much ice he covers rather than just how fast his legs move, he has some of the most efficient strides I’ve ever seen in my life. He gets around way faster than he already looks and he looks fast to begin with. Really elegant skater
There was just this one play he made where he was chasing the puck and made up like, 4 strides on the Wild backcheck in half a second. He makes such long strides that when he's up to speed, he just flies down the ice. That was the only play where he really showed that speed, but I imagine that, as you say, he'll be showing that off more as time goes on.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

Shot differential doesn't look particularly flattering, but Canucks consistently looked dangerous and were skating very well. I like the system Tocchet is working on quite a bit, and the personnel changes have made us younger, quicker, and stronger. Zone entries remain a struggle. On Minnesota's end, lots of weak shots that Demko easily handled. He's looking like the Demko we know, and not the Demko of the start of the year, which is reassuring in one regard, but not great for the tank. Tracking the puck well, managing rebounds with ease, and giving a real comfort and stability to the backend. Quite frankly, with our current PK performance and this guy in net, we'd probably be a playoff team.

Good -
Kravtsov : Looked fantastic. His skating is a real asset, may be the fastest guy on the team. Got involved in the play constantly, made an absolutely sublime pass and was chiefly responsible for the sole goal, and did everything you want him to do with the tools he has.

Podkolzin : Man, you really want him to put some in the net. Finishing is real low right now, but is otherwise doing everything else. He is a machine and literally cannot be stopped. Looks invigorated playing with Kravtsov.

Meh -

Bleh -

wasn't as thrilled with Kuzmenko as you but he's always creative. Made too many mistakes tonight and lacked some of his usual bursts.

Boeser i actually thought was good for 2 periods not much of a factor in the 3rd trying to work through the trap. Scored a beauty goal. Cant dismiss that IMO

Good write up though not much room out there the way Minny defends That's why we really need some push from the back end on the cycle and in transition just absolutely neutered with corner dumps to nobody mostly

Sedinery

May 24, 2021

Thats odd, they racked up a much better winning percentage under Bruce

I must have missed something ?

I guess “moral victory” counts for points now?

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
they definitely look better under tocchet but they're playing a losing system now. they're gonna have a lot of moral victories where they only lose by a goal if they keep playing this way
Half an AHL lineup well if you include Boeser hes ahl level now and a d that has what 2 nhl bottom pair guys give the players some respect they dont give in easy what coach makes that look close to good?

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
Thats odd, they racked up a much better winning percentage under Bruce

I must have missed something ?

I guess “moral victory” counts for points now?
Vezina goaltending, OEL/Myers performed like a top pair versus being AHL caliber. Horvat instead of Dries

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
wasn't as thrilled with Kuzmenko as you but he's always creative. Made too many mistakes tonight and lacked some of his usual bursts.

Boeser i actually thought was good for 2 periods not much of a factor in the 3rd trying to work through the trap. Scored a beauty goal. Cant dismiss that IMO

Good write up though not much room out there the way Minny defends That's why we really need some push from the back end on the cycle and in transition just absolutely neutered with corner dumps to nobody mostly
I thought Kuzmenko had the two best chances of the night - off that in tight rebound and off that breakaway he created out of literally nothing - so I had to give him credit for creating that kind of offense in the narrow confines of the Wild's system. Boeser did have a pretty good burst of effort following his goal, but his energy levels really trailed off towards the end of the 2nd. How noticable he is tracks very linearly with how hard he's playing, so it's really frustrating noticing him disappear and knowing that he's just shut himself down for the night.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Half an AHL lineup well if you include Boeser hes ahl level now and a d that has what 2 nhl bottom pair guys give the players some respect they dont give in easy what coach makes that look close to good?

has nothing to do with the lineup. the only winning team playing punt and hunt in the nhl is the hurricanes and their entire roster is tailored towards winning the forecheck battle. it's just way too hard to generate offense off the forecheck in the nhl these days. defenders have gotten way too good at handling the puck

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
has nothing to do with the lineup. the only winning team playing punt and hunt in the nhl is the hurricanes and their entire roster is tailored towards winning the forecheck battle. it's just way too hard to generate offense off the forecheck in the nhl these days. defenders have gotten way too good at handling the puck
So Hughes is a wizard should get us 25 wins alone right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad