Post-Game Talk: Wild 5, Pens 4 (SO) - How Do You **** That Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
What is your suggestion for how Wokey could've solved our goalie issues? Who would you have traded for and what would you have given up? I see a lot of criticism and not a lot of substance in the way of actual solutions
I’ve already gone over this before, and anyone I say now, you’ll say hindsight is 20/20.

Andersen for one. My bar is pretty low right now. Im more worried about playoff Jarry resurfacing; his numbers are okay in the regular season now.

I think you’d be hard pressed to find a goalie playing worse than DeSmith right now. DeSmith can’t be our backup with Jarry as the only other option. Halak would have been a solid backup option, but sleepy slept. If you can’t find an upgrade to DeSmith, you shouldn’t be a GM.

Coming back with both goalies is incredibly lazy. Again, goaltending and our top 6 is why we continue to lose, but sleepy only addressed the bottom six. That’s like rotating your tires, but not fixing the engine that’s broken.

I don’t understand why our expectation needs to plummet simply because we hired a bargain bin GM.

Last edited:

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
I’ve already gone over this before, and anyone I say now, you’ll say hindsight is 20/20.

Andersen for one. My bar is pretty low right now. Im more worried about playoff Jarry resurfacing; his numbers are okay in the regular season now.

I think you’d be hard pressed to find a goalie playing worse than DeSmith right now. DeSmith can’t be our backup with Jarry as the only other option. Halak would have been a solid backup option, but sleepy slept. If you can’t find an upgrade to DeSmith, you shouldn’t be a GM.

Coming back with both goalies is incredibly lazy. Again, goaltending and our top 6 is why we continue to lose, but sleepy only addressed the bottom six. That’s like rotating your tires, but not fixing the engine that’s broken.

I don’t understand why our expectation needs to plummet simply because we hired a bargain bin GM.

So your golden solution is *checks notes* 40 year old Craig Andersen...and 36 year old Halak. I am so whelmed

Btw an engine swap costs literal thousands of dollars, where as tire rotations are often offered for free with an oil change.

Idk man, I am upset with Jarry as much as the next guy, but at least he's young and could legitimately improve. Halak might've been a decent choice but still, dudes old af

Reactions: EightyOne

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Like I said in the last page, I don't think Jarry stunk tonight because of his performance in regulation. At most, you could criticize him for the Spurgeon 6 on 5 goal, and even that would be iffy. He stunk today because of his atrocious performance in the shootout.

So the guy has a good game in regulation, and a good game in OT, and loses the plot in the shootout so he stinks?

I mean, even if you think that, why should this effect how you feel about him turning the corner? It's not like him being good or bad at shootouts is going to come up very often, particularly not in the playoffs. The only reason I see why it would is if you think that part of his performance was entirely mentality based, which seems odd to me because if that was the case surely he'd have made a blunder during overtime instead. Not like he was short on opportunity there.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
So the guy has a good game in regulation, and a good game in OT, and loses the plot in the shootout so he stinks?

I mean, even if you think that, why should this effect how you feel about him turning the corner? It's not like him being good or bad at shootouts is going to come up very often, particularly not in the playoffs. The only reason I see why it would is if you think that part of his performance was entirely mentality based, which seems odd to me because if that was the case surely he'd have made a blunder during overtime instead. Not like he was short on opportunity there.

I don't think he was good in regulation. I thought he was fine in regulation and OT and was horrid in the SO, which means he stunk overall.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't think he was good in regulation. I thought he was fine in regulation and OT and was horrid in the SO, which means he stunk overall.

If stopping everything saveable minus 1 maybe you can criticise him goal on 40 shots - or to put it another way, just 1 goal conceded off the 37 shots he had a chance of stopping without supreme dumb luck or a force field - is just fine, and not good, then I think your expectations are pretty off.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
So your golden solution is *checks notes* 40 year old Craig Andersen...and 36 year old Halak. I am so whelmed

Btw an engine swap costs literal thousands of dollars, where as tire rotations are often offered for free with an oil change.

Idk man, I am upset with Jarry as much as the next guy, but at least he's young and could legitimately improve. Halak might've been a decent choice but still, dudes old af
Frederick Andersen.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016

All backup goalies will have some warts. I don’t want Halak long term, but I certainly would take him over DeSmith for the next couple of seasons. It really shouldn’t have been this difficult to find a vet goalie to back up Jarry.

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
Frederick Andersen.

Andersen is alright, still a little old at 32. And he hasn't been passed the second round in his entire career. I would probably prefer him to at least one of our tenders. But it's impossible to know whether or not Wokey fielded an offer unless it was disclosed to the pressed. He very well might've, you can't really say definitively if he did or not. Halak is 36 and still pretty old, maybe he would be a better option but I would pretty much always choose the younger guy when faced with a goalie option

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Andersen is alright, still a little old at 32. And he hasn't been passed the second round in his entire career. I would probably prefer him to at least one of our tenders. But it's impossible to know whether or not Wokey fielded an offer unless it was disclosed to the pressed. He very well might've, you can't really say definitively if he did or not. Halak is 36 and still pretty old, maybe he would be a better option but I would pretty much always choose the younger guy when faced with a goalie option
I was asked who I would have preferred over tweedle dee and tweedle dum. I don’t want to get into the homer excuses like maybe Hextall tried or hindsight is 20/20. This is the same bs Shero defenders spewed when he struck out every off season.

Maybe he tried! At some point, you gotta make a move if you really consider yourself a contender. I really think Halak would have been great here as a back up.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
All of you guys posting in a PGT when there is a GDT open are going to be in soooooo much f***ing trouble when the mods find out. Poor Cole's BP must be through the roof seeing this.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
I was asked who I would have preferred over tweedle dee and tweedle dum. I don’t want to get into the homer excuses like maybe Hextall tried or hindsight is 20/20. This is the same bs Shero defenders spewed when he struck out every off season.

Maybe he tried!!

They were better answers than I expected, but I still don't think were all that great. Not to mention both of them went to what are traditionally more desirable locations than Pittsburgh PA. Being Vancouver, and North Carolina, there is a reason the Pens haven't attracted that many big time UFAs in the off seasons, even during Sid and Geno's prime. Also Carolina has a great D core that a lot of goalies would prefer to play over ours. Maybe Hexy did try, acting like you know he didn't is just as dumb as acting like one knows he did. We just do not know. What we do know is the differences in the locations chosen by those goaltenders, and Pitt.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
They were better answers than I expected, but I still don't think were all that great. Not to mention both of them went to what are traditionally more desirable locations than Pittsburgh PA. Being Vancouver, and North Carolina, there is a reason the Pens haven't attracted that many big time UFAs in the off seasons, even during Sid and Geno's prime. Also Carolina has a great D core that a lot of goalies would prefer to play over ours. Maybe Hexy did try, acting like you know he didn't is just as dumb as acting like one knows he did. We just do not know. What we do know is the differences in the locations chosen by those goaltenders, and Pitt.
The bottom line is that there were other options. Some people here act like every goalie signed long term deals for $6 mil AAV. To make a blanket statement like there was no other goalie out there I’d want over our two clowns is crazy to me. Both of these guys were very affordable as well. Maybe sleepy called them, maybe he didn’t. But there were certainly better solutions out there than to stay the course, hoping for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad