BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Joe Morrow - 4th round pick (18 games played) 0 points
Brandon Davidson - 3rd round pick (7 games played) 1 point
Jakub Jerabek - 5th round pick (1 game played) 0 points

1) Joe Morrow is a better defenceman than Chris Wideman
2) That was indeed a terrible trade. These trades are not the norm. Expecting trades like this is setting yourself up for disappointment (unless you are the GM who got a 3rd round pick for Davidson, in which case you pop open a bottle of bubbly and get the company car & driver on standby for a night of celebration)
3) Jerabek was for a 6th rounder, not a 5th rounder. Also: Jerabek had way more hype when he was traded, as he'd come off of a really good end of the season in Washington and was seen to be a guy who could be a #6 with upside, hence the trade price. Just because he's done nothing since the trade doesn't make the context that existed when he was traded disappear. The Blues gambled on some upside, and it didn't pay off. They payed for the player they thought he might be in the future, not the player he turned out to be 2 months later.

freddy61

Selfie
Jun 6, 2013
Up a tree
Wideman wasn't in their plans so taking the pick was a good move. Why create a bottleneck this season. The video didn't help his case to possibly stay as a mentor for the younger guys. Let them play and gain experience for next year.

Reactions: Cosmix and aragorn

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
I gave you two guys that were traded for more last year at the deadline. I am not 100% sure that they were upcoming UFAs or not but the definitely were 7th dmen that did not provide nearly the amount of offence that Wides provides and their respective GMs were able to get better than a 6th round pick.

Look this is really a minor minor move and I am just pointing out that trading a guy at his lowest value is not necessarily the best decision. I understand if you disagree

I'm asking you how much would you give up for Chris Wideman, if you were the buyer.

Selling now had more to do with getting rid of him. We could have waited till the deadline and got a bit more for him, but we wanted him out of our dressing room.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
I'm asking you how much would you give up for Chris Wideman, if you were the buyer.

Selling now had more to do with getting rid of him. We could have waited till the deadline and got a bit more for him, but we wanted him out of our dressing room.
How do you know they wanted him out of the locker room.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
He was a hea
Rule of thumb: when something about the Sens hits the main boards, you can almost always assume that the opposite of the consensus opinion is tHe
Rule of thumb: when something about the Sens hits the main boards, you can almost always assume that the opposite of the consensus opinion is true.
Healthy scratch featuring 2 of the other defensemen that had been playing for maybe a trade.
I think he likes the shot Wideman has on the PP and everyone is rumored to say the Senators have not real c0aches. SHOCKING

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Wideman scratched 3 games in a row. Has played only 1 game in EDM stat line is: 0-0 and a -2 in 13 minutes of ice

Might be one of the best asset management moves by Dorion.

Reactions: DylanSensFan

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Wideman scratched 3 games in a row. Has played only 1 game in EDM stat line is: 0-0 and a -2 in 13 minutes of ice

I'll genuinely be shocked if Wideman plays in 30 games the rest of the season under Ken Hitchcock.

Hitch ain't got time for no Chris Widemans in his system.

Reactions: DylanSensFan

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I'll genuinely be shocked if Wideman plays in 30 games the rest of the season under Ken Hitchcock.

Think he plays 30 NHL games again? He might be an AHL / Sweden guy from here on out?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Think he plays 30 NHL games again? He might be an AHL / Sweden guy from here on out?

I have a hard time seeing someone giving him a 1-way contract anywhere in the NHL this coming off-season, that's for sure.

His best hope at this point is to put in a ton of work in the offseason, get a 2-way deal or a PTO, and hope to play himself onto a team somewhere.

Alternatively, his style of game is literally perfect for the Swiss League. He could probably extend his career by a decade if he decided to hunker down in a place like Fribourg and just commit to it.

Reactions: TheBradyBunch

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Man that injury looks like seriously derailed his career. He was on a roll at the start of last season.

True. But Dorion signing him to a 1 year contract and then flipping him for a pick after 20 games is a nice little move. Nothing crazy, but an extra player in a draft, especially with our scouting staff who’s at its best in the later rounds is an excellent move

Reactions: coladin and Altimus

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018

What would be his reason for trading for him? Hitchcock is much smarter that Boucher and Dorian combined. If Edmonton makes it to the playoffs its a win for Wideman. Maybe he will be flipped somewhere else I don't think Dorion should be given too much credit as a trade wizard. Difference is the owner of the Senators is just trying to sell his rebuild all the other teams in the NHL are trying to make it to playoffs. If the Senators are active at the trade deadline and are in the race and actually make moves to win I might change my mind.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
What would be his reason for trading for him?

I dunno... why did he trade Hall for Larsson? Or the 16th overall pick (which turned out to be Barzal) and the 33rd overall pick for Griffin Reinhart? Or trade Eberle for Strome? Or Strome for Spooner?

If you want to take a deep-dive into Chiarelli's tenure as Oilers GM, be my guest, but I'm going to tell you you're probably going to dig up more questions than answers in that process. :laugh:

Last thing I'm doing on a Sunday Afternoon is try to rationalize Peter Chiarelli's decisions over the past few years.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018

Why did Ottawa want him out of the dressing room?

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
That 6th from EDM will come in handy whenever Dorion has to sweeten the pot in order to trade Stone or Duchene :sens :thumbu:

Reactions: OgieO

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018

Actually. Imagine having less than zero hope in a hockey organization and having to suit up for 82 games giving it your all because you could be on the chopping block come off-season. I am hoping that he is happy in Edmonton because Edmonton is a team with potential.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Actually. Imagine having less than zero hope in a hockey organization and having to suit up for 82 games giving it your all because you could be on the chopping block come off-season. I am hoping that he is happy in Edmonton because Edmonton is a team with potential.
You better hope he’s happy in Europe at this point lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad