Why was Trevor Linden so popular?

VerySuperFamous

Feb 11, 2012
Kelowna, BC
It boggles the mind. Canucks fans where I live say he should be in the Hhof. Anyone whose watched his career, what did he do to become so popular?

Looking at his stats not a great goal scorer, nor amazing defense, and apparently wasn't that physical.

Why was he so popular/considered to be a great player?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It boggles the mind. Canucks fans where I live say he should be in the Hhof. Anyone whose watched his career, what did he do to become so popular?

Looking at his stats not a great goal scorer, nor amazing defense, and apparently wasn't that physical.

Why was he so popular/considered to be a great player?

Canucks fans traditionally didn't have much to cheer for and Linden was a guy who was a heart and soul player who could score, hit, play a two way game, lead etc. and led that organization to some success in the 90s. He's kind of the way Wendel Clark is revered in Toronto, even though the stats line doesn't really look like he was all that special.

FakeKidPoker*

1994 that's the only reason why.

It is quite silly just how loved he is in Vancouver though.

connellc

Dec 2, 2010
Keep in mind that Linden was a saint in the vancouver community and did a lot of charity work and things like that which made the city love him even more. Before his injury, he really was a solid player that was chosen for the Olympic squad in 1998.

NuckleTort

Nov 28, 2011
He is STILL a saint in Vancouver.

He still lives here and is unlikely to leave.

Though the 70s and 80s, we had very few quality players that were drafted and developed by the Canucks.

Linden came to Vancouver and truly embraced the city while posting an impressive rookie season. By 1991, the 'Nucks were actually a pretty damn good team.

The dude bled for this team. Not many players before OR after him can say the same.

As remarkable a plyer Bure was, he never embraced the city. The contrast between the two only highlighted Linden's status.

I have no doubt there are equally beloved players in other cities for similar reasons.; even if they are not appreciated elsewhere.

Reactions: Canucksfan1999

FakeKidPoker*

It's funny Messier and Linden are pretty similar.

Messier adored in New York..went to Vancouver and his leadership was questionable.

Linden adored in Vancouver went to New York and his leadership was crap..really poor and is hated in New York like Messier in Vancouver

Reactions: Nerowoy nora tolad

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
It's mostly because of 1994.

Cliff Ronning said:
You don't know this, but Trevor Linden had cracked ribs and torn rib cartilage for the last four games of the 1994 Stanley Cup Final. You can't imagine what it's like to hear your captain, in a room down the hall, screaming at the top of his lungs as they injected the needle into his rib cage. Knowing him, he probably thought we couldn't hear. He would then walk into our dressing room like nothing had happened. That was inspirational.

Guy put the team on his back in Game Seven of the Finals:

He's viewed with such reverence partially because that team was an underdog which came so close to winning it all. Naturally you're going to view him in a more favourable light.

who would you say is today's Trevor Linden?

Shane Doan, if we're talking about active players.

EDIT: There's also this. Still had the "clutch" intangible at the age of 37.

I don't think he's an HHoF candidate, but his #16 is retired, and for good reason.

Last edited:

NuckleTort

Nov 28, 2011
Hated in NY? Hmm. Never knew that.

Fair enough, though. His production dropped like a lead balloon after his days in Van.

I'd like to think that his heart wasn't in it. But I relly don't know.

He was on a 4M dollar contract at the time. Expectations rise once you get paid.

As for Messier....:rant:

NuckleTort

Nov 28, 2011
who would you say is today's Trevor Linden?

Trevor Linden.

Not even really kidding. Trev is still a part of the fabric of this city. He is still, very much, active in the community. Just not-so-much with the Canucks.
I've been led to believe that Gillis and Linden do not see eye-to-eye; primarily due to his role in the end of the lockout/strike.

Noone since has really been able to capture the same magic.

Bure had his critics, as did Nazzy, Bert, the Twins, Lu, etc...

*I answered the question from the perspective of a Canucks fan. From a league-wide perspective, Doan is a pretty good comparable.

Last edited:

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
He was a clutch performer. His stats started to slip around 1997, but before that he was in point-per-game territory in the regular season and the playoffs. Between 1997 and the lockout, and was in the 0.5 PPG range. After the lockout, he was basically a fourth liner but still showed up in the playoffs.

Yes, '94 had a lot to do with his rep, but he was also the captain for several seasons until the Messier-Keenan debacle.

He was a good leader while he was playing and was active with his charity work in the community. That helped to cement his reputation in Vancouver. Post-retirement he has his 'Club 16' fitness clubs iirc invests in real estate.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I answered the question from the perspective of a Canucks fan.

... Ive lived out here off & on for nearly 25yrs, grew up in Toronto when the Leafs were winning Cups, half hearted Canucks fan, slightly different perspective on #16 perhaps. Fact is, the guy is total Class, in the old school fashion of a Jean Beliveau, Teeder Kennedy, with modern day sensibilities. He gave, he didnt "take" every single shift, game in game out. Wore his heart on his sleeve, all about team. And Id sure as shootin rate him a lot higher than Shane Doan.

He took his role as Captain of the club very seriously, apparent in his words & deeds, always had/still has time for the many well wishers he meets on the street (he lives in my neighbourhood, see him around frequently) no matter their station in life. Perpetually smiling, optimistic, concerned for the well being of his fellow man. He was above "average" as a player, not in the same league as Lemieux but of the same ilk. He's Vancouvers' "Big Jean" sans the Cup rings but no less admired, respected, same type of player.

"Over-rated" is not a term anyone would apply out here nor do I believe on Long Island, the man is ego-less for Christ sakes so where that comes from I have no idea. He was always prepared to subjugate his own personal interests & reward for team success, play whatever role he was assigned. The enmity he bought while with the PA is another matter altogether, the facts of which have yet to be truly determined, explained on either side. Id be more inclined to take his word than Lindros, Chelios or anyone elses on just exactly went down, but he aint talkin short of some platitudes, not even when under the influence. That's class. You got nothing nice to say, keep quiet.

Reactions: Nerowoy nora tolad

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I feel like everyone has pretty much answered the OP, but just to add one more point...it's the exact same reason why Wendel Clark is beloved in Toronto, Adam Graves in NY, and Ryan Smyth in Edmonton. They were heart-and-soul players who connected with the fans and laid everything they had on the ice.

For modern players who are comparable, the first ones who come to mind are Doan, Callahan, and Brown.

EDIT: I guess Ryan Smyth is still a modern player :laugh: so him too.

NuckleTort

Nov 28, 2011
... Ive lived out here off & on for nearly 25yrs, grew up in Toronto when the Leafs were winning Cups, half hearted Canucks fan, slightly different perspective on #16 perhaps. Fact is, the guy is total Class, in the old school fashion of a Jean Beliveau, Teeder Kennedy, with modern day sensibilities. He gave, he didnt "take" every single shift, game in game out. Wore his heart on his sleeve, all about team. And Id sure as shootin rate him a lot higher than Shane Doan.

He took his role as Captain of the club very seriously, apparent in his words & deeds, always had/still has time for the many well wishers he meets on the street (he lives in my neighbourhood, see him around frequently) no matter their station in life. Perpetually smiling, optimistic, concerned for the well being of his fellow man. He was above "average" as a player, not in the same league as Lemieux but of the same ilk. He's Vancouvers' "Big Jean" sans the Cup rings but no less admired, respected, same type of player.

"Over-rated" is not a term anyone would apply out here nor do I believe on Long Island, the man is ego-less for Christ sakes so where that comes from I have no idea. He was always prepared to subjugate his own personal interests & reward for team success, play whatever role he was assigned. The enmity he bought while with the PA is another matter altogether, the facts of which have yet to be truly determined, explained on either side. Id be more inclined to take his word than Lindros, Chelios or anyone elses on just exactly went down, but he aint talkin short of some platitudes, not even when under the influence. That's class. You got nothing nice to say, keep quiet.

um...ok? I'm not sure why you decided to rip me a new one. Please re-read my posts. At no point do I label him "over-rated" or question his integrity.

We're talking about my favorite Canuck of all time. He's the reason I follow the NHL rather than just the canucks. I could go on about this, but I don't feel it's necessary.

As for the quote you used...are you confused about where I was coming from? Someone asked for the modern-day equivalent. I answered as a fan of Vancouver. In other words; there hasn't been and never will be another Trevor Linden.

I chose to edit my post to reflect a modern league-wide comparison. I chose to agree that Doan seemed like a good comparison.

What part of my post set you off? The connection (or lack thereof) between Gillis and Linden? Whatever. You're right. I don't know squat about it which is why I chose not to go into it further. That doesn't change the fact that there is little to no connection between Linden and the current Canuck administration. I'm an unapologetic Homer when it comes to Linden, but that doesn't make him immune to being a human being. Sometimes we become embroiled in matters that turn other people off. It would APPEAR as though Gillis and Linden are on different pages. nothing more and nothing less.

BTW, i do love how you came to his defense against a perceived slight to his character. :)

NuckleTort

Nov 28, 2011
The franchise did the right thing. Hell...they pretty much HAD to retire his number.
Cup or no Cup, Linden gave everthing he had for the Canucks.

And we love him for it. Does that really seem strange?

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
The very same brand of casual fans in Detroit who think Osgood is a top ten goalie because he's 10th in wins or casual fans in Toronto who think Luke Schenn is his generation's Scott Stevens.

I'm pretty sure those casual fans hate Luke Schenn right now. Next year, though, they'll love him, just like they did 2 years ago. Short memories.

I can't say I have any specific reasons for the Linden love, but think about it this way: Pavel Bure was Adam Banks, and Linden was Charlie Conway.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
BTW, i do love how you came to his defense against a perceived slight to his character. :)

... ahhh. Sorry if you felt I was "coming at you"?. Not intended. No, Id read several posts that were off base, off target, disrespectful. Yours wasnt which is why I quoted it. I tend to be somewhat, err, "harsh"?. I read posts that were poisonous, picked yours to quote as the most intelligent. Does Trevor belong in the HHOF?. I believe he does, as he encompasses all thats good, true & honest about a person. As a character. As someone who has raised millions for his community. Ive got nothing but respect & time for Trevor Linden. Even in retirement his voice resonates throughout the Lower Mainland if you know whats what. There are several Canucks of the same ilk as you know, Steamer, "King Richard", Ceasar Maniago, dearly beloved. :D

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Canucks fans traditionally didn't have much to cheer for and Linden was a guy who was a heart and soul player who could score, hit, play a two way game, lead etc. and led that organization to some success in the 90s. He's kind of the way Wendel Clark is revered in Toronto, even though the stats line doesn't really look like he was all that special.

Linden is what you say above and a class act very humble and always put the team and others ahead of himself.

1994 that's the only reason why.

It is quite silly just how loved he is in Vancouver though.

how is it silly? People love Linden because he had heart and soul and was honest, charitable ect... The kind of guy you want your daughter to marry, to be your friend.

People love him because he evokes that emotion into his play and character.

Keep in mind that Linden was a saint in the vancouver community and did a lot of charity work and things like that which made the city love him even more. Before his injury, he really was a solid player that was chosen for the Olympic squad in 1998.

Exactly he always has been that stereotypical good honest prairie boy and he was a pretty decent hockey player as well, especially in his 1st stint in Vancouver.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad