Why was Roy cut so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Does anyone know why Patrick Roy was never on Team Canada until '98? First off lets look at '87. Fuhr and Hextasll were going to get those two spots obviously after both being in the Stanely Cup finals, but how in the world did Kelly Hrudey make it over Roy? Both were at training camp, but when I heard an interview by Keenan he stated that Hrudey ad a good camp.

But by '91 Roy had won two Vezina trophies and somehow was left off that team. Ranford, Belfour and Burke were on it instead. No arguing Ranford, and Belfour had won the Vezina that year but Burke? Did Keenan just not like him?

Then in '96 I remember that Bowman was orignally going to coach the team and I guess he never did like Roy, but think about it instead of him we had Joseph, Broduer, and Ranford. I'd have put Patrick in ahead of any of those. I mean the guy won the Cup that previous spring! Can anyone explain why?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
rocky hockey said:
I think you have allready answered the question in your post.

POLOTICS

Yeah it might be politics. I mean for some reason Yzerman was left off Team Canada in '87 and '91 basically because Keenan didnt like him and thought he wasn't responsible defensively. It would have looked good to see him in '87 vs the Russians but oh well.

Back to Roy though, in '96 we could have used him no doubt. If I remember it was Bowman who didnt like him and chose not to pick him. would Roy have ever lost two straight games 5-2 to the USA? I doubt it.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Big Phil said:
Does anyone know why Patrick Roy was never on Team Canada until '98? First off lets look at '87. Fuhr and Hextasll were going to get those two spots obviously after both being in the Stanely Cup finals, but how in the world did Kelly Hrudey make it over Roy? Both were at training camp, but when I heard an interview by Keenan he stated that Hrudey ad a good camp.

But by '91 Roy had won two Vezina trophies and somehow was left off that team. Ranford, Belfour and Burke were on it instead. No arguing Ranford, and Belfour had won the Vezina that year but Burke? Did Keenan just not like him?

Then in '96 I remember that Bowman was orignally going to coach the team and I guess he never did like Roy, but think about it instead of him we had Joseph, Broduer, and Ranford. I'd have put Patrick in ahead of any of those. I mean the guy won the Cup that previous spring! Can anyone explain why?
Roy was injured for a good part of 1990-91, so he opted not to play in the Canada Cup. Simple as that. Not that it mattered, Ranford was simply brilliant throughout the tournament, and should have won MVP. (To my knowledge, no player has ever won the Conn Smythe, and the Canada Cup/World Cup and World Championship MVP awards. Ranford has the other two).

Politics played a role in Roy being left off the team in 1996, but so did timing. Roy had a subpar 1995 season and wasn't his dominant self to start the 1995-96 season. Of course, he was fantastic for the Avalanche in the 1996 playoffs, but the rosters for the 1996 World Cup (except for injury replacements) were submitted before the playoffs. Thus, Canada's goalies were already decided before Roy won his third Cup.

Keep in mind that CuJo was fantastic for Canada in 1996, getting an injury-riddled team to the final. (He saved Canada from elimination repeatedly in the semi-final against the Swedes). Between all the injuries Canada suffered and Richter's fantastic play, Roy wouldn't have made a difference in the final outcome.

Hard to say. Roy inspires more love/hate than any other player I can think of on these boards. Personality probably plays a pretty big factor in these things so I'm sure that has something to do with it. Patrick was always a suprememly confident guy, so unless he was guaranteed game time , in his mind it was probably a waste of time to go.

As for the other guys, in 87 Patrick had an off year by the standards of 86. Hrudey had played very well that season and led the Isles in that marathon OT game versus Washington that season. Sure in hindsight it seems a little odd, but I don't remember a lot of outrage at the time.

Burke got the nod in '91 in large part because of his international experience. In world championships and Olympics, the coaches felt it was good to have him around. There some grumbling about Roy for this one, but again no real outcry.

96 was arguably Joseph's prime and you could certainly see Brodeur was really coming along. Ranford got the nod out of loyalty and appreciation for past service in playing World Championships and such. 96 was the one year where I felt Roy should have been the starter and was clearly snubbed.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Big Phil said:

In 87 Roy had been extremely shaky and during the Wales Conference Finals Bryan Hayward started all 6 games for the Habs. Roy played two periods of game 4 and gave up 4 goals on 20 shots.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Roy had an onging habit of SUCKING and stinking up a building, only to come back and dominate the next game.

He did the contrast quite well when they last won the cup, against new jersey i believe. blow out loss 0-5 or something. came back to rob the next game.

I have sworn "the guy's a bum" only to swallow those words the next game.... time and again and again.

Hot and cold, he was. CLEARLY!

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Beatnik said:
It's all politics.

It's like asking why Pat Quinn is always team Canada coach instead of Lemaire, Bowman etc

Quinn was given the job once, and they haven't lost yet, hence no change has been made.

As mentioned earlier, politics is only applicable for the 1996 World Cup. After doing a little search, at least according to Al Strachan (I know, I know), he seems to have not been selected because they didn't think he could handle sharing playing time. Whether that was a fair assessment is up to you, but after the Salt Lake Olympics, I think it's probably accurate.

He wasn't even the full-time starter for his team in 1987 and chose not to play in 1991 (a la Pronger and Blake last World Cup) because he'd missed some time that year with an knee injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad