Why was Panarin never drafted ?

Musampa

Aug 3, 2015
NHL teams spend picks on players who 99% will never become NHLers. Being-Russian-staying-in-KHL chance is way below 99%, like really way below.

As I said Russian kids were underscouted back then, but the situation has changed. Look at Artamonov, Panarin would have been projected at the same level nowadays, maybe even higher.
But we still have Atanasov. I wouldn’t be surprised if in 5-6 years I see the same question about him.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
It was early 2010s, the height of 'can't teach size', 'best players all develop in the CHL', 'Russians don't come over' narratives. A small, slim Russian winger who has developed in the KHL and became an NHL star hadn't happened yet. Sum it with Panarin being a lesser-known prospect on a team nobody bothered to scout, and there it is.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Just overlooked. Wasn't big. Didn't have elite straight ahead speed. Some aspects of his game are not the type that are measurable on paper.

Bure had elite speed and still dropped to the 6th round. Some people said they didn't think he would come over. Others said they were told he wasnt eligible to be drafted that year. Credit Vancouver. They made the pick and never looked back.

The draft is far from perfect even today.

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
still under the radar, imo

Attachments

• IMG_0818.png
    IMG_0818.png
    329.2 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: EdJovanovski

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
let's be honest.

if he got drafted by the rangers in the first round back then, he wouldn't play in the nhl today.
thats because we wud have signed him immediately instead of letting him develop in russia and he would have ended up going back to russia at 23 after struggling in the NHL and AHL lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad