Why was Eric Staal so bad for us?

Jayan

NYR fanatic
Jul 6, 2012
image.JPG

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Pretty much that. AV's moronic system of wanted nothing but speed guys who aren't physical and have no size to them. If he can't get those, he takes bigger players who have no hockey IQ because they can pass a little.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
In hindsight the trade wasn't as bad as it seemed after the 15-16 season. The guy is still good, so we didn't trade good assets for a washed up scrub, but rather for a guy that didn't fit our team. So why was is so bad for us when he's so good for Minnesota?
Because AV did not use him properly in a position that he could be successful, and that`s why I hope we get a new coach after the franchise evaluation in key positions this summer.

Reactions: ponytrekker

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Ask yourself this...how many players genuinely play better under av than other coaches...only 2 really come to mind....stalberg and pouliot. You could say grabber too but there's a history of producing in the not so distant past

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Coach played a huge part obviously, but he was having a terrible year prior to his trade as well. It was a bad season for him and sometimes that happens.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Ask yourself this...how many players genuinely play better under av than other coaches...only 2 really come to mind....stalberg and pouliot. You could say grabber too but there's a history of producing in the not so distant past

Brassard
Zuccarello
Kreider
Miller
Fast
Skjei

All developed under AV. In the case of Brassard and Zuccarello you can even make a case they "revived" their careers under AV.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
None of those guys played much worse under other coaches OR never had other nhl coaches.

Brassard and Zuccarello were definitely worse under different coaches. And the rest developed as prospects under AV. The notion that AV doesn't develop players is BS.

He still needs to go, though. Don't get me wrong. But he is not as bad as people make him out to be

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Brassard and Zuccarello were definitely worse under different coaches. And the rest developed as prospects under AV. The notion that AV doesn't develop players is BS.

He still needs to go, though. Don't get me wrong. But he is not as bad as people make him out to be
Can you pull their p/60 under different coaches for me? On my cell and it's dying on me.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Brassard? I guess he did have some good games with Torts.

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
And he was really really disappointing in Columbus. He had his best years under AV. Same goes for Zuccarello. And the other players I listed. McDonagh had his best years (2013-14 and 2014-15) under AV.

Zucc and those other guys you mentioned have never played for another coach in the NHL. Therefore your examples do not qualify.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Zucc and those other guys you mentioned have never played for another coach in the NHL. Therefore your examples do not qualify.

Zuccarello and Kreider played under Torts. Brassard spend years in Columbus before joining the Rangers.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Because he's a stiff who mailed it in and secretly hates his own brother. The same brother he levelled with a vicious high hit to the head and leaving him with a concussion. This way all the Christmas mornings with the family end with him and Jordan trying on gloves with their stanley cup rings on and saying "yeah these don't really fit... do you want them Marc?" and every time, Marc looks at his ringless fingers with the same sad distant look.

Reactions: Holden the Stick

Rangers2319

Jul 15, 2008
CT
as it has been said, he struggled bc he was mismanaged by av, the same bullshit he did with yandle, the coach is useless

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I think better question is why is Marc Staal so bad for us and why did we give him a ridiculous contract? Makes no sense.

ryan93

Aug 27, 2015
Watch Minny in the POs. They are big and slow and very ineffective. I am far from a big fan of Staal. He never did anything with Carolina after 06’, he was useless here, and he has done nothing for Minny in the POs. Speed kills, he is really slow.

He had a lot of good seasons in Carolina after their 06 Cup run. He avaeraged 33 goals & 74 points the next 6 years. And the one season that Carolina did make the playoffs (2009), he scored 10 goals in 18 games.

ryan93

Aug 27, 2015
Zuccarello and Kreider played under Torts. Brassard spend years in Columbus before joining the Rangers.

Zuccarello's first full NHL season was 2013/14, and AV was the coach. Same goes for Kreider. He was a 22 year old with 23 games of NHL experience when AV was hired, of course his best years are going to be with him as coach. And as for Brassard, I think it was the change of scenery more than anything, just getting out of Columbus. He played 25 total games under Torts, putting up 23 points.

Reactions: Ori

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad