Olympics: Why was Canada so nonchalant in its Sochi victory?

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
So there are no rivals in WJC, WHC ect? Only in olympics? In the other tournaments Canada isn't clear #1.
Our rival is the Americans in the WJC aswell, maybe Russia sometimes. Sweden doesn't get under the Canadians skin.

The World Junior drought doesn't bother me as much as it should because I know we'll get on a hot streak pretty soon anyways.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
For whatever reason the US u20 team is the most hated team by Canadian fans, even more than our senior team.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
For whatever reason the US u20 team is the most hated team by Canadian fans, even more than our senior team.
They come across as hockey to me, especially since that tournament where one of the American players went by the Canadian bench saying something which ticked off Canada, forgot which year it was though.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
They come across as hockey to me, especially since that tournament where one of the American players went by the Canadian bench saying something which ticked off Canada, forgot which year it was though.

Pretty sure that was 2009.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Only because they are neighbours not becsuse they are better than anyone else.

But it is funny that Canada claim they #1 still they want rather compete with teams with historic rivality than teams that are actually best. Poor Canada.

Do you even know what you are talking about? Or have any proof to back up what you think you are even talking about?

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Is it really a question? In 2010 the team went bonkers cause they won a nailbiter in OT. 2014 was a cakewalk (other than that crazy Latvia game!). They knew they had this one in the bag. I didn't celebrate much after this win either, I guess I just kind of expected it.

This is a good point.. Canada seemed extremely happy in the game against Latvia, I say it was as much emotion as the gold medal game (by the looks on their faces, of course).

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012

Last edited:

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
1. Nearly half of the team had already won gold four years prior, and probably most of the players came in pretty confident of winning. Not an entirely new experience. It wasn't surprising that Duchene and Subban seemed most elated after winning.

2. The players had to know that the game was over for quite some time before the final whistle. Just less exciting. Very different from 2010.

3. Atmosphere in Sochi wasn't great when Russia wasn't playing

4. It's only a two week tournament. In many cases the more time you put into something, the more you want to win it. You can probably also assume that many players value another hockey prize (Stanley Cup) a little bit more.

Sums it up quite nicely. I agree with all these points.

Also the game was not played on home soil in front of an arena full of jacked up Canadian fans

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
It was a bad luck, at least that it seemed to me.

when you beat the opposite team 46-23 (Switzerland) and 45-23 (the US) on shots, I wouldn't call that playing poorly - and it's not just about the shots.

Patriotism is awesome when it comes judging bad luck, I truly get your opinion. And you're right there can be "lots of shots" from the perimeter but they truly aren't scoring chances.

Like I said Canada shined when they needed to :nod:

torlev*

They knew the game was over at 3-0.
not like it was pins and needles or overtime. They aren't kids or Russians.

For these guys, there are only a handful of countries that are competitive. I'd say it's arguably harder to win a stanley cup for a Canadian superstar hockey player than it is an Olympic gold medal. I bet most of the top canadian players (guys that will consistently make Team Canada) end up with more gold medals in their careers than Stanley Cups.

From a more local perspective, while it was certainly fun, it's a different feeling watching the game at 6am than it was in 2010.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I believe it started in 2004. The MAF melt down really stung and it still bothers a lot of people. I remember how disappointed many Canadian fans were when the U.S. did not play the Canadian Junior Dream Team in 2005.

torlev*

So there are no rivals in WJC, WHC ect? Only in olympics? In the other tournaments Canada isn't clear #1.

No, but they are number one. The world hockey championships is a joke to NAs. I love the world juniors but there are generally lots of our best already in the NHL. With a team with high turnover, and an age limit like that, and players getting poached by the NHL, it lends itself to other countries who are not the best winning it. And one superstar from another country in a given year can tip scales.

If you look at the under 18s, hlinka, etc, where players aren't getting lost to NHL, Canada destroys the rest if the work again. Hell, single provinces beat other countries.

Canada may not be as far ahead of the crowd as they once were but they are undeniably ahead. Well ahead. Still.

Number two might be USA, might be Sweden. Russia isn't out of the conversation either, but likely after them.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
No, but they are number one. The world hockey championships is a joke to NAs. I love the world juniors but there are generally lots of our best already in the NHL. With a team with high turnover, and an age limit like that, and players getting poached by the NHL, it lends itself to other countries who are not the best winning it. And one superstar from another country in a given year can tip scales.

If you look at the under 18s, hlinka, etc, where players aren't getting lost to NHL, Canada destroys the rest if the work again. Hell, single provinces beat other countries.

Canada may not be as far ahead of the crowd as they once were but they are undeniably ahead. Well ahead. Still.

Number two might be USA, might be Sweden. Russia isn't out of the conversation either, but likely after them.

Canada destroys at the u18s eh?

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

If you look at the under 18s, hlinka, etc, where players aren't getting lost to NHL, Canada destroys the rest if the work again.

Hi Torlev,

The U.S. dominates the IIHF U18's. In Canada's defense, we cannot send our best because they are playing in the CHL Playoffs - Memorial Cup.

Canada dominates the Ivan Hlinka tournament which is also for U18's but not sanctioned by the IIHF. In the U.S.'s defense, they do not send their best to this tournament.

Hell, single provinces beat other countries.

I think you mean the U17's and yes, even having Canada's best players divided 5 ways, we do well.

Last edited by a moderator:

nwaZ*

Canada was just that much better, Sweden never had a chance save for a miracle. Zetterberg, H. Sedin and Bäckström all out. That's basically three #1 centers.

Very disappointing.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
It started before that. Jack Johnson's hit on Steve Downie really got the boos going.

Canada's rivalries always start with a big loss, and more losses are needed to keep the rivalry (and fans' dislike) alive.

Vs USA, it started at the WJC after the choke of 2004, got a huge boost with the 2006 hit by Jack Johnson, the 2007 shootout win, the fireworks of 2009, and the losses of 2010 and 2013.

It's a different story at the senior level. USA became enemy #1 after the 1996 world cup, a sentiment that only started to really dissipate after gold in Salt Lake. After big wins in 2010 and 2014, Canadians feel their team is in control at the senior level (not by much, but they win when they have to) and thus the sense of threat goes away.

That's why no real sense of dislike exists against, say, Finland, Sweden, Slovakia, etc. We haven't suffered any major losses to them that will resonate for years.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Canada's rivalries always start with a big loss, and more losses are needed to keep the rivalry (and fans' dislike) alive.

Vs USA, it started at the WJC after the choke of 2004, got a huge boost with the 2006 hit by Jack Johnson, the 2007 shootout win, the fireworks of 2009, and the losses of 2010 and 2013.

It's a different story at the senior level. USA became enemy #1 after the 1996 world cup, a sentiment that only started to really dissipate after gold in Salt Lake. After big wins in 2010 and 2014, Canadians feel their team is in control at the senior level (not by much, but they win when they have to) and thus the sense of threat goes away.

That's why no real sense of dislike exists against, say, Finland, Sweden, Slovakia, etc. We haven't suffered any major losses to them that will resonate for years.

Fair

The Bad Guy*

This leads to a good question for Canadian fans.

What stings more to you?.........................losing a big one to the U.S or Russia?

Would be interesting to see if there are any variations due to the age of the posters.

My guess is 30 and younger would say the U.S and those north of 30 would be more likely to say Russia.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

What stings more to you?.........................losing a big one to the U.S or Russia?

Would be interesting to see if there are any variations due to the age of the posters.

My guess is 30 and younger would say the U.S and those north of 30 would be more likely to say Russia.

I am well north of 30 :cry: and I would say the U.S.

Lollipop

Jul 23, 2013

So WHC is a joke because it shows that NA haven't the depth that you think you have? If Canada is that clear #1 then why can't you win without the best players. Canada is the country that screaming about their so called amazing depth every year. But they also is the country that complain most about missing players. Lol.

I like WHC because there we will see what the teams can do without the best. I'm proud that Sweden without our best can do very well in WHC in most year.

Do you still use NHL as excuse on why Canada fail in WJC? 2013 Canada had their best team because the NHL lock-out. Canada missed medal. So now they are not #1 in U20 anymore.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009

USA, I lived there for a while. That, and everyone gave me grief that I was Canadian and that the USA was better than Canada... Just shoved me the wrong way

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad