Why Was Bales Fired ?

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
well for my part I think some here just want to cherry pick parts of what people say, which whatever on that.

But the only jist I was really trying to say is that Murray was bad and good this last season, he was injured a fair amount and is still leading the NHL for injuries for a starting goalie since he came into the league. There were times were EVERYONE on this board was starting to wonder if he would ever rebound. Then he came back off IR and was lights out great. Got injured again in Feburary and never really regained his elite streak back, not that he was bad just not that same level. So sure you can whip out an overall stat that averages out the entire season.
But would that really tell you the story of what transpired?

I mean he literally was the 2nd to worst goalie in the entire NHL, and then he went crazy good and dragged his stats out of the cellar. But sure go with just one number that averages out his entire season because that tells you precisely the happenings of his season.

In some ways the hot streak is what gives me hope, because he shows that he can steal games for us and do so over a period of time. You think St. Louis goes from worst in the NHL to hoisting a cup without Binnington ? Heck Bruins went as far as they did because Rask turned in to a forcefield for a stretch there. Goalies are always the biggest factor in the playoffs. ALWAYS.

I'm just worried about Murray's injury history and the loss of focus for a period of time is troubling, no telling if that will return again or not.

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
So a defense can't make a goalie look good.

An offenaive team that keep the puck forever can't make a goalie look good.

When you see a goalie go side to side and take himself 5' out of the play. Its a flaw.

MAF was making 40 saves a night during his first 10 game in the NHL. He was so flawed it was rediculous. If someone had the puck behind the net he would turn fully around to face the glass... Then spin around again when the puck came out front. There is some merit in stats but its not the be all end all of a player... Especially a goalie.

Reactions: vikingGoalie

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Got injured again in Feburary and never really regained his elite streak back, not that he was bad just not that same level. So sure you can whip out an overall stat that averages out the entire season.
But would that really tell you the story of what transpired?

I mean he literally was the 2nd to worst goalie in the entire NHL, and then he went crazy good and dragged his stats out of the cellar. But sure go with just one number that averages out his entire season because that tells you precisely the happenings of his season.

He had a .929 percentage after coming back from that injury in Feb despite playing a fair few back to backs. 6th best in the NHL among goaltenders playing a real number of games. If that's not elite, its the very next best thing.

And his early season form was while trying to play through injury behind an unbelievably bad defence. Pretty limited amount of blame he should take for that.

I have concerns about his durability. His ability? The results over a five month period once actually fit was startling. If there flaws in his performance and he can be even better, sweet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad