News Article: Why The Penguins Aren’t Playing Derrick Pouliot

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I can't help but think they should have dedicated some of the season to getting Pouliot comfortable on the right side. You know that Maatta-Letang is your top pairing, Dumoulin is a LD and there aren't any RHS RD in the org that would ever be in the top 4 or even other top 4 potential prospects. They only have one more season of Daley and he wasn't here for a good chunk of the season.

They eventually got Schultz who is a RHS RD, but he's a project and highly questionable as a top 4 defenseman. But why weren't they trying to get Pouliot to fill that obvious hole going forward? And I remember how disastrous his preseason was and that his other issues needed to be addressed.

yeah, I hope that's something we have him work on this off-season and next year. We need to know if he will be able to replace Daley long term in that spot or not.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
The author of this article is using that stat completely incorrectly. This is what happens when people who don't really understand advanced stats use them to make a point.

There's a reason advanced stats people look at usage and CF over time as a whole and that's because it's more predictive that way. Individual game stats are often all over the place and there are too many variables that CF can't account for on a game to game basis. It's essentially the same reason everyone hates +/- as a stat now, though with +/- the problem is much starker.

You can look at an individual game and say "oh look, Pouliot had a bad possession game" or "wow, Pouliot had a great possession game!" but you can't draw many conclusions from that until you have a bigger sample size. Not even "inconsistent"; are you all prepared to call Letang inconsistent over this stretch as well?

Pouliot has been a great possession player while up here; you don't have to manipulate stats to argue for or against that. And I really don't think this coaching staff cares one way or the other. This is the head coach who said he didn't like "the possession time" of the Crosby-Kessel combination, then proceeded to watch K-C-H get Corsi-murdered for the next several games before they found some equilibrium again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad