News Article: Why The Penguins Aren’t Playing Derrick Pouliot

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
To start off, Justin Schultz has a lot to do with Pouliot not seeing the ice. ... The change of scenery has been a great change for him and he’s playing some of the best hockey of his career in Pittsburgh. Since was traded to the Penguins on Feb. 29, the team has a record of 15-4-0.

The most common defense for Pouliot is simply looking at his Corsi For percentage, which is quite impressive at 58.8 at even-strength. However, the Penguins management looks at a lot more than just advanced analytics. And if you want to see what I’m talking about, took a look at his Corsi For percentages game by game in this graphic.

Pouliot-2.jpg

For the most part, he has been well above the break-even point of 50 percent, but the inconsistencies are shown by this graph.

http://thehockeywriters.com/why-the-penguins-arent-playing-derrick-pouliot/

The article goes on, but to me the best part if that the Organization is still sold on him and he will not be Despres'd next year. There is some sound reasoning for his being benched currently, not just some silly dislike of the guy or inane rumors about his 'character flaws.'

Last edited by a moderator:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
But he needs traded if he's only going to be a 7th D!!!!! He's too valuable to have as injury insurance!!!!!! The Pens are going to demolish his value!!!!

I'm making fun of people on the trade board who are saying that Pouliot needs traded if he's not playing. I don't agree with the idea that Schultz is more physical and can PK in a pinch, and he's also definitely not bigger than Pouliot. However, the big difference is that he's a righty and a RD primarily, while putting Pouliot in would put a lefty on LD. I'm guessing the Pens don't want to do that, even with Cole being just as good on RD.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
http://thehockeywriters.com/why-the-penguins-arent-playing-derrick-pouliot/

The article goes on, but to me the best part if that the Organization is still sold on him and he will not be Despres'd next year. There is some sound reasoning for his being benched currently, not just some silly dislike of the guy or inane rumors about his 'character flaws.'

Just curious, but who is Pouliot going to play ahead of next season to avoid being Despres'd? Letang, Daley, Maatta and Dumoulin are the top four, then both Schultz and Cole are returning. The only guy who probably walks is Lovejoy. So Pouliot is yet again #7 on the depth chart.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Just curious, but who is Pouliot going to play ahead of next season to avoid being Despres'd? Letang, Daley, Maatta and Dumoulin are the top four, then both Schultz and Cole are returning. The only guy who probably walks is Lovejoy. So Pouliot is yet again #7 on the depth chart.

Reading between the lines in that article the Pens seem to think that DP has another level and will reach it, sooner rather than later. I think that consistency is the real thing, and with that in mind they should have been grooming him all year and lived with the growing pains.

If he does take that step up, he will move one of the ones above him out. Schultz for instance could very well be gone. The Pens ain't gonna give him that north of $4 million to qualify him and then he could go anywhere.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
WTF does Despres have to do with it? That was a bad trade. Pouliot would be traded due to a potential surplus in offensively-skilled defensemen in order to upgrade somewhere else. Or maybe a similar Dman that's in a more defensive mold.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
We've been spoiled as a fanbase with multiple examples of players that were NHL ready before the typical time frame. Sometimes you need to step back and remember that dmen being successful in the NHL at 19-21 is NOT the norm. The performance of Dumoulin this season after years of folks braying for him to be shipped out as a bust should drive that point home.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
WTF does Despres have to do with it? That was a bad trade. Pouliot would be traded due to a potential surplus in offensively-skilled defensemen in order to upgrade somewhere else. Or maybe a similar Dman that's in a more defensive mold.

Don't ask me, the 'the Pens are going to Despres him' thing has been said on this board a number of times in comments about DP not being on the ice. Enough that I thought to comment that the organization has no such thoughts about him, but have made their choices for, even if you disagree with them, understandable logical reasons.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

But Maatta and Letang are almost definitely going to miss a good chunk of time due to injuries. Even if he's the 7th D, he's going to be getting in at least probably 40-50 games.

BeautiPhil

Toronto Sun Model
Nov 23, 2010
Virginia
Pouliot should be over Cole and Lovejoy, simply because he is better now, and will be better in the future.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Don't ask me, the 'the Pens are going to Despres him' thing has been said on this board a number of times in comments about DP not being on the ice. Enough that I thought to comment that the organization has no such thoughts about him, but have made their choices for, even if you disagree with them, understandable logical reasons.

Well that's crazy but not surprising. I think he's getting the short end simply because they wanted to look at Schultz and it's going a little better than expected. He looks comfortable with Cole and hasn't had any notable gaffes. Also with DP being left-handed it messes with the lineup, as the article mentioned. I think it's a few minor things that, along with the winning streak, add up to him not getting any time.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011

Cole can just slide down to #7 if all are healthy and DP is playing well, assuming they can re-sign Shultz. Daley is gone after next year anyways. There's no reason to rush DP, but I'd like to see him playing, so hopefully they send him down if he's not in. That will be my only gripe, if DP is consistently in the press box next year.

Can't check now, but I would expect DP is still waiver exempt through some or all of next year?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Cole shouldn't be on the team next year and Daley is effective as a RHD.

LHD next year should be

Maatta
Dumoulin
Pouliot

RHD should be

Letang
Daley
Schultz or FA

Cole and Lovejoy are not good, long term solutions to anything.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Good article.

We've been spoiled as a fanbase with multiple examples of players that were NHL ready before the typical time frame. Sometimes you need to step back and remember that dmen being successful in the NHL at 19-21 is NOT the norm. The performance of Dumoulin this season after years of folks braying for him to be shipped out as a bust should drive that point home.

Definitely true of D.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Well that's crazy but not surprising. I think he's getting the short end simply because they wanted to look at Schultz and it's going a little better than expected. He looks comfortable with Cole and hasn't had any notable gaffes. Also with DP being left-handed it messes with the lineup, as the article mentioned. I think it's a few minor things that, along with the winning streak, add up to him not getting any time.

That chart in the article says it all.

DP not only looks good, but is good. Very, very good. So much that they compare him to Ghost for the Flyers.

But he is inconsistent. Very inconsistent.

Which is understandable with a kid. I remember that Gogo and Letang were disasters trying to come up the ice the first two years in the league. Which is why DP should have gone through the growing pains this year.

The problem is that HCMJ put them in such a deep hole that we could not afford to give up games in growing pains. We won 14 of 15, and had we not even come close to that we would not be in the playoffs. We have been fighting for a playoff spot for half a year now. And I guess that they could not afford one great game followed by one horrid one that cost you the game, rinse and repeat. Schultz and Cole are merely more reliable right now I think.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Cole can just slide down to #7 if all are healthy and DP is playing well, assuming they can re-sign Shultz. Daley is gone after next year anyways. There's no reason to rush DP, but I'd like to see him playing, so hopefully they send him down if he's not in. That will be my only gripe, if DP is consistently in the press box next year.

Can't check now, but I would expect DP is still waiver exempt through some or all of next year?

I've been in favor of shipping Cole the hell out of here. Not because I dislike him. I think he fits snugly on a bottom pair, but he's unnecessarily eating an extra $1 million off our cap. Dumping him and signing a rugged, versatile bottom pair guy that could play with Schultz or Pouliot would be nice. Heck, or sign two.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Since Despres is a veteran now, maybe we can trade Pouliot for him? I wonder if Schultz doesnt sign cheap if the Pens possibly move him at the draft to make room for Pouliot.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
While I'd like to see DP playing, we do have a logjam of guys. Common sense suggests letting Lovejoy go and rolling with a Pouliot-Cole bottom pair next year. But this team hasn't always exhibited common sense so it wouldn't surprise me if they re-sign Mark Eaton and have Pouliot in the press box all year.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Sucks cause he should be playing but coaches always prefer the "veterans". Once Lovejoy is gone this summer and assuming the possibility of Cole being traded, Pouliot will be on the roster full time starting next year. They better not move him.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
That chart in the article says it all.

DP not only looks good, but is good. Very, very good. So much that they compare him to Ghost for the Flyers.

But he is inconsistent. Very inconsistent.

Which is understandable with a kid. I remember that Gogo and Letang were disasters trying to come up the ice the first two years in the league. Which is why DP should have gone through the growing pains this year.

The problem is that HCMJ put them in such a deep hole that we could not afford to give up games in growing pains. We won 14 of 15, and had we not even come close to that we would not be in the playoffs. We have been fighting for a playoff spot for half a year now. And I guess that they could not afford one great game followed by one horrid one that cost you the game, rinse and repeat. Schultz and Cole are merely more reliable right now I think.

I think they kept him down partly because they though he needed it and partly because he had bonuses. I think it was a few games after the halfway mark that he magically was ready to play in the NHL. Big coincidence.

I don't think there's enough evidence yet to know what he really is. All I know is he has legitimate talent. I talked about him in the DP thread on the trade forum. He's got the skill. It'll just come down to can he play a decent defensive game while still doing all the things he can do on offense.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Pouliot should be over Cole and Lovejoy, simply because he is better now, and will be better in the future.

The problem is, that's not saying a whole lot. I've seen games where he's lost in his own zone, I don't know what it is with him, I see the potential in the AHL, but in the NHL, he's just not consistent. He might need more time or maybe he's another Morrow talent wise and hockey IQ wise.

I think so many here are worried about the whole Despres'ing him thing that they might not realize he might not be all that good. I'm open to moving him and one of the second round picks if it lands us a top 6 young LW.

The problem for me is getting something of value, I just don't see a great deal of intelligence in his play. I don't know if he needs time or not, defenseman take time, sure, so they can either stick him back in the ahl and call him up here and there or people will keep saying he's ready when he really is not.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
But Maatta and Letang are almost definitely going to miss a good chunk of time due to injuries. Even if he's the 7th D, he's going to be getting in at least probably 40-50 games.

Imo thats the smart way to go about it. We know that injuries will happen, but idc what position DP plays, he should be in over ben freaking lovejoy.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
Cole shouldn't be on the team next year and Daley is effective as a RHD.

LHD next year should be

Maatta
Dumoulin
Pouliot

RHD should be

Letang
Daley
Schultz or FA

Cole and Lovejoy are not good, long term solutions to anything.

I agree with most of this--don't care if they resign Lovejoy, would be fine with moving Cole for cap space, totally agree with who should be the LD next year.

We have Daley signed for next year, what is the plan moving forward with him?

Also, to be pedantic, I would use LD and RD instead of LHD and RHD, because Daley is a LHD who plays RD.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Michael Pityk has no sources anywhere. The guy is a hack, and all you need to do is look at basically every other article or tweet he's put out there about this team since the beginning of the season.

As of right now, Pouliot is being told he's the 8th best defenseman on the team. Think about that for a moment. And the idea that he was wildly inconsistent from one game to another is a joke. He was nothing but steady the entire time he was in the lineup after his first couple of games back. He never even came close to having the type of game Cole had last night, which would have landed Pouliot on the bench for good.

"They just don't like him"

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Sullivan is a guy that is more familiar with him from the AHL, you'd think if he felt he was ready to play more, he would.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad