Prospect Info: Why the love affair with Kappy?

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
I still can't believe that some fans don't realize why the Kessel trade was made. It was 8m cap dump or with retention 6.8m.

And Kessel was absolutely brutally bad as NHL player for long stretches is his Leaf career, especially in the the later stages of his career. Don't just look at his offensive stats....he always played the PP.

Doesn't matter that Phil found the perfect spot in Pittsburgh to live up to his pay and skill level. It wasn't happening in Toronto and never would.

It something like the Phauef trade. Leafs wanting to rid themselves of 7m Phaneuf for 4 years.
Leafs return, Lindberg and second rounder. The value in the trade after the cap dumping is the Leafs have 7m to spend for three years (or is four?) So trade wasn't really for the players in the trade, it was who the Leafs could sign with that 7m.

Same as the Kessel trade. It's Kapanen, and pick and the money 6.8m that spend on other player(s)

Not to mention, culture change, change in team dynamic, potentially not getting Matthews and so on...at the end of the day it needed to happen, people who still don't grasp this, will never get it.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Not to mention, culture change, change in team dynamic, potentially not getting Matthews and so on...at the end of the day it needed to happen, people who still don't grasp this, will never get it.

Considering the position we were in, locked in a long term deal, every team knew we had to trade him. We got very good value in return

I was surprised we didn't have to add a draft pick to get rid of him. I was done with him and that previous Burke culture. Same with Dion

Back on topic...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad