Prospect Info: Why the love affair with Kappy?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Can someone answer me this? Why the love affair with Kappy?

He's obviously extremely fast. I get that.

Besides that skill set, why do Leaf fans love him so much? I don't see anyone thing besides his speed that sets him apart from any of our other "B" prospects.

Not a thread to criticize him but a thread for me to better understand why I should think he is a special player too.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I'm not sure I understand. You basically answer yourself here. He's got what some of our other forward prospects have in terms of skill, but on top of that he's got an elite attribute in his speed. He's also younger.

In terms of why I'm optimistic, it's quite simple. Guys that produce at PPG pace in AHL at his age project very well at the NHL level, and I don't see any holes in his game that would indicate he might be an exception.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
At a young age has already scored 2 enormously huge clutch GWGs that many players play a lifetime without achieving.
What is not to like? And besides he was running shotgun with Nylander at the Sox game last night. That will lead to many more love affairs if you know what i mean :)

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Watching him play, to me he looks like an NHLer and he is still young. And he does have skill.
I do watch the Marlies on TV and live, to me he the only forward prospect with the Marlies that has a chance to be a different maker in the NHL. I guess we'll know more this year.
But the rest of the last year Marlies forwards....B prospects at best as you suggest. Maybe Gunnerstrom and Brooks, two rookies might show NHL promise this year.

Contining on Marlie theme, Dermott looks like he's an NHLer. And Nielsen has a change.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
your not a ppg ahl player at 20(which is pretty dam impressive) cause you just skate fast...on top of being one of fastest hockey players in the world, he has very good hockey skills too

the fact that he is one of fastest players in nhl is intriguing enough as it is

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Because I love the Leafs and he is a great prospect. Dont be judging me on my love affairs Bluelines, dont you be doing that.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Similar stats to Kadri in the AHL from the same age, but he's a better skater and better defensively than Kadri was at that time.

I think he's a pretty solid prospect, but more likely to be a solid supporting cast player than a legit star.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I'm not sure I understand. You basically answer yourself here. He's got what some of our other forward prospects have in terms of skill, but on top of that he's got an elite attribute in his speed. He's also younger.

In terms of why I'm optimistic, it's quite simple. Guys that produce at PPG pace in AHL at his age project very well at the NHL level, and I don't see any holes in his game that would indicate he might be an exception.

Is he on par with Marner, Nylander or more on par with Sosh, Leivo ?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Can someone answer me this? Why the love affair with Kappy?

He's obviously extremely fast. I get that.

Besides that skill set, why do Leaf fans love him so much? I don't see anyone thing besides his speed that sets him apart from any of our other "B" prospects.

Not a thread to criticize him but a thread for me to better understand why I should think he is a special player too.
If you reemove the skill set of any player, why would you like them?
:dunno:

The question is why DON'T you like him?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Watching him play, to me he looks like an NHLer and he is still young. And he does have skill.
I do watch the Marlies on TV and live, to me he the only forward prospect with the Marlies that has a chance to be a different maker in the NHL. I guess we'll know more this year.
But the rest of the last year Marlies forwards....B prospects at best as you suggest. Maybe Gunnerstrom and Brooks, two rookies might show NHL promise this year.

Contining on Marlie theme, Dermott looks like he's an NHLer. And Nielsen has a change.

I only watched a few Mariles games so my Kappy knowledge is very limited. Would you say he is too good for the AHL?

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Bluelines

No he isn't too good for the AHL. But his progression since he was drafted would indicate to me he should be good NHLer. Maybe not even this year but soon.
Except for very few players now....the progression is get tp drafted, a year or two in junior or European League, a year or two in the AHL.
That rule (silly in my opinion) that European juniors can play in the AHL, but not North American juniors has helped his development. He has played with/against men very many years both in the SHL, AHL and even some time in the NHL. I see him taking JVRs spot on LW in 2018/19

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
If you reemove the skill set of any player, why would you like them?
:dunno:

The question is why DON'T you like him?

It's not that I want to remove any skill set from him, what I'm saying is I can see he has elite speed, what else does he have that says hey, this guy is special. Rico fata is probably the fastest guy who ever played in the NHL, much hype around him but he had one problem, he only had one speed - blazing fast and defencemen quickly adjusted to his game by giving him space not saying that Kappy = Rico but one great skillset is not a NHL player make.

It's not that I don't like him, its that I don't know much about him. Trying to get educated and understand the Leaf fan hype around him.

Again this is not a dump on Kappy thread, its a tell me about him so I can get excited too thread.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

McDavid, Crosby = Generational Prospect (Probably will be the best player in the NHL)

Matthews, Eichel = Elite Prospects (Virtually a lock to be a perennial all-star)

Marner, Nylander = Blue Chip Prospects (Basically a lock to be a Top-line F, Top-pairing D)

Kapanen, Liljegren, Dermott = A Prospects (Top-6 F, Top-4 D, could exceed or fail)

Leivo, Sosh, Grundstrom, Korshkov, Bracco, etc = B Prospects (Top-9 Forwards, Top-6 D, could exceed expectations, could fail)

Lindgren, Lindberg, Scott, Middleton = C Prospects (Long-shot to make NHL)

Mattinen, McGregor = D Prospects (Probably won't make it)

gravyface

Jun 22, 2010
So far he's been clutch, versatile (can kill penalties very well with that quickness), and willing to do whatever it takes.

I'd say he's on par with Brown and Hyman as far as our young core goes.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
1ppg as a 20yo in the AHL is good.

Previous players who have averaged that have gone on to average 421GP in the NHL w/ a 0.47ppg.

NwosWBw.png

That happens to be inline with Kappy's performance in other leagues. He's been projected out to about a 0.5ppg career player since his D-1 year.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
It's not that I want to remove any skill set from him, what I'm saying is I can see he has elite speed, what else does he have that says hey, this guy is special. Rico fata is probably the fastest guy who ever played in the NHL, much hype around him but he had one problem, he only had one speed - blazing fast and defencemen quickly adjusted to his game by giving him space not saying that Kappy = Rico but one great skillset is not a NHL player make.

It's not that I don't like him, its that I don't know much about him. Trying to get educated and understand the Leaf fan hype around him.

Again this is not a dump on Kappy thread, its a tell me about him so I can get excited too thread.

Thats fair.
So add good shot good iq solid 2 way game a penchant for clutch goals and the ability to open space for his linemates to the list if his skills.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
He is essentially the main return from Kessel and how that trade will be judged.

After giving up #2OA and #9OA in back to back drafts it basically
Kappy now who is the return.

Harrington became Rychel who has no impact.

Freddy Andersen is partially involved but Leafs had to toss in a 2nd round pick also and pick up Kessel's bonus & retain $1.2mil X 7 years.

So if Kappy doesn't hit big and become a player, then the Kessel trade will be a disaster coming and going.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON

Between those 4 in particular he's a lot closer to Marner/Nylander group than the Sosh/Leivo group.

I think the fact that he's been playing pro a few years makes people think he's older than he is. He's younger than Adam Brooks, for instance.

The kid just had a dominate 20 yo season in the AHL. Pretty rare for players 20 and under to put up ppg in the AHL. Leipsic for example is following the usual path to the NHL. Kappy looked as good or better than him and is 2 years younger, and now it seems has a better 2-way game.

I think he's got 50/60 pt upside in a few years when he's playing with skilled players.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
you just have to understand where being ppg in the ahl at age 20 slots in amongst prospects, as it's a.clear indicator of topline nhl upside.

and even more exciting because kappy doesn't have the flaws that many ahl superstars have - he has nhl speed, size, grit, and 2-way play in addition to that offensive upside.

he's a very good prospect. a very safe bet to be at least a solid 2-way all-situations 2nd liner, with the possibility of being more than that, and almost certainly a solid 3rd line floor in the woest case scenario.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
He is essentially the main return from Kessel and how that trade will be judged.

After giving up #2OA and #9OA in back to back drafts it basically
Kappy now who is the return.

Harrington became Rychel who has no impact.

Freddy Andersen is partially involved but Leafs had to toss in a 2nd round pick also and pick up Kessel's bonus & retain $1.2mil X 7 years.

So if Kappy doesn't hit big and become a player, then the Kessel trade will be a disaster coming and going.

Or you know, that he is a good prospect and deserves to get as much praise as anybody else with his toolset and performances does, regardless of who he was traded for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad