The Athletic - Boston Why the Boston Bruins broke up their No. 1 line

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Not sure where this notion that "Pasta and Krejci don't play well together" came from. They play together for their National team and look fine together. Look at the last 3 full seasons with 46 & 88 on the ice together....

GP
TOI
CF%
SF%
GF
GA
GF%
xGF
xGA
xGF%
SCF%
HDCF%
HDGF%
Krejci & Pasta​
190​
570​
53.13​
50.97​
34​
16​
68​
24.83​
19.60​
55.89​
55.42​
53.92​
70.97​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

All solid numbers together. The SF% you'd like to see higher, but they are +18 in goal diff as a duo. Their xGF% is solid, they generate more scoring chances, High Danger Chances and High Danger Goals. I'd also point out that over this same time period, Krejci assisted on 20% of Pasta's 5v5 goals. Another way to look at it is nearly 1 in every 4 goals by Pasta were setup by Krejci. I think they'll be fine, Bruce just needs to give it more than 1-2 shifts or half a period before he starts changing things up.

JerseyBruin

May 29, 2019
Agreed. I'd be surprised if it lasts more than a game. The 63-37 line will always do well regardless of the player on the right side, but Pasta and Krejci have never had much chemistry together. I'd love for it to work but we'll see.

My problem with Pasta on Krejci's line is that their games are so different , Pasta is warp speed most of the time while Krejci want's to slow everything down . IMO Krejci needs big bodied wingers that can score . I'd like to see him with Ritchie and Smith more.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Not sure DeBrusk can be effective on his off wing.
Krejci & Pastrnak styles don’t mesh, Krejci will slow Pastrnak down.
I’d staple Smith to Coyle’s RW for the next 10 games let them develop chemistry.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA

I’d staple Smith to Coyle’s RW for the next 10 games let them develop chemistry.

Regarding DeBrusk, this might be the last chance to see what he can do in the top 6 and perhaps our last chance at having 2 balanced lines for the majority of the season. It's put up or shut up time. Either this will cause him to have success and adapt, or he'll go back to being a passenger on the 3rd line and potentially be scratched.

Regarding Krejci and Pasta, I agree, but we need to do something to balance out the lines. It's getting really tiring of watching us be a 1 line team for the better part of the last 4-5 years. My only gripe with Cassidy is not trying more to split up the top line. It's not his fault that Krejci is not a good fit for Pasta and DeBrusk, and that the latter as well as Smith are better suited for being on the 3rd line. He didn't pick out the groceries via FA, trade, and the draft. He's only coaching what Sweeney and Neely gave him. We need to spread out the lines. If we don't, we'll see a repeat of the last few years and suffer a similar fate in the playoffs. The first line will have to carry the team and either A.) They'll produce but it won't be good enough due to inconsistent scoring on the 2nd line or B.) They'll have a few off nights (or even an off series) and we won't have the secondary scoring required to bail them out.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I don't put any stock into this move at all. Cassidy has done this before only to go right back to 63-37-88. Many refer to them as The Perfection Line but I call them Cassidy's Binky.

Yes, he's willing to shake up lines when things aren't going well. The trouble is IMO he doesn't gives his new lines enough time to jell, he seems to think if the chemistry isn't instantaneous it can't happen at all.
exactly and from the comments here from fans who watched the last two games (which I was unable to), many sounded like JDB was MIA again. Why this kid gets such a long leash if true is beyond me, puts him on the top line to get him going? Should be watching from upstairs thinking about his effort and focus issues not being gift wrapped a spot next to Bergy IMO but whatever

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I don’t know why this is a story. It will change many times in the future.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I'm interested to see how this line works (if Cassidy lets it happen for more than a period). It was a very very very small sample size, but 63/37/74 were pretty good earlier this year.

CF% - 71.2
Outshot opp 26 to 8
Out chanced opp 18 to 10

If it gets JDB going and it helps elevate the #2 line then I'm all for it.

Reactions: MattFromFranklin

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
They're winning games in the regular season, albeit many in the 3 on 3 which is arguably not real hockey.

The challenge will be, as always, what things look like in the playoffs where teams key in on match ups and shutting down line combinations.

They're going to have to be able to score goals 5 on 5.
Identifying a consistent 2nd line wing remains Sweeney's white whale.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Pastrnak playing on Krejci's wing won't be a problem. He can play with anyone.

If putting JDB on the top line will increase his trade value....... then I'm all for it.

You can't fix stupid and in my opinion, DeBrusk is not the answer. Time to move him while he still has some value.

Reactions: MattFromFranklin

Riley 88

Jan 24, 2020
Answer to this question is pretty simple......They had to break up the line.....Because they have no skill players to play with Krejci because for 5 years Sweeney has not been creative enough to get us the secondary scorer the team needs......And it has cost us at least one cup.....

If he would have signed Taylor Hall......We would not have the thread. And we would be legitimate cup contenders. Right now we are short of that sadly.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto

Not sure about that. How many of Pasta's goals come from off the rush? Seems more often he's parked to the right of the net, hammering one-timers.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Marchand and Bergeron were scoring while Pastrnak was out. It makes sense to see if moving Pastrnak next to Krejci would improve 5v5 scoring or not. Ritchie is a good passer and should open up more space for Pastrnak as well.

Reactions: HustleB

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Not sure about that. How many of Pasta's goals come from off the rush? Seems more often he's parked to the right of the net, hammering one-timers.
It’s the game flow that really matters. He’s at his best playing a fast north/ south game. While he may score a majority of his goals once offensive possession is gained, Krejci’s slow approach could throw his entire game out of whack. Or maybe not? We shall see

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
I don't put any stock into this move at all. Cassidy has done this before only to go right back to 63-37-88. Many refer to them as The Perfection Line but I call them Cassidy's Binky.

Yes, he's willing to shake up lines when things aren't going well. The trouble is IMO he doesn't gives his new lines enough time to jell, he seems to think if the chemistry isn't instantaneous it can't happen at all.

My question, if this does not work and Debrusk continues to crap out, then what?
Debrusk is not 1st line material. When gets the puck he doesn't look for a seam, he skates straight, then he dumps it in. He lacks creativity

Debrusk does not get in the shooting lanes. It's amazing to see how Marchy Bergy and Pasta do the give and go right until one of the gets a clear shot.
Not sure if Jake knows what a shooting lane is

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I’m interested in seeing the Pastrnak-Ritchie dynamic. Lotta shots for Nick to screen, should also be a lot of rebounds
No Marchand or Bergeron to dig pucks out now either .Pasta is going to have to start digging in now.No more gliding around like he has been the last 3 games..

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
My question, if this does not work and Debrusk continues to crap out, then what?

Then he's either back to being a passenger on the 3rd line or having a nice warm seat up in the press box for the next few months before he ends up in Seattle. Put up or shut up time. Ritchie has upped his performance and is playing like someone who doesn't want to go to Seattle.

Answer to this question is pretty simple......They had to break up the line.....Because they have no skill players to play with Krejci because for 5 years Sweeney has not been creative enough to get us the secondary scorer the team needs......And it has cost us at least one cup.....

Whiffing on "big" FA signings (Beleskey, Backes), acquiring Jimmy Hayes, passing on slam-dunk studs in the 2015 1st round, and striking out on Toffoli/Hall this summer is more about him being stupid/foolish and thinking he's the smartest guy in the room than having a lack of creativity, IMO. The Backes signing also cost us a 1st rounder to get rid of him since he was dead weight, and that pick could've been used on a top 6 forward who could still be here. A legit top 6 forward, not a 2nd-3rd line tweener like Coyle/Smith/DeBrusk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad