The Athletic - Boston Why the Boston Bruins broke up their No. 1 line

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

On Feb. 10, after missing five games because of a lower-body injury, Jake DeBrusk returned with a thunderclap. DeBrusk let loose with 14 pucks, seven of which struck the net. On Jan. 30, David Krejci assisted on Nick Ritchie’s power-play goal and recorded six shots of his own.

To Bruce Cassidy’s eye, these have been isolated spikes more than game-over-game consistency.
So in Monday’s practice at Warrior Ice Arena, the Bruins coach went to his break-glass-in-case-of-emergency maneuver: He busted up his No. 1 line.

DeBrusk moved to right wing next to Brad Marchand and Patrice Bergeron. David Pastrnak moved down to the No. 2 line with Krejci and Nick Ritchie. The moves, Cassidy hopes, will nudge DeBrusk off his zero-goal output and express a more robust 5-on-5 presence out of Krejci.

“They tend to push whoever’s with them,” Cassidy said of Marchand and Bergeron. “So it could be a good arrangement. Krech has played before with Pasta. So it’s just a little bit of a different look. We’ve talked about doing it in the past. I don’t know. We’ll see how it goes.”

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Did I miss today's lines in another thread? Be interesting to see what they do w/ the 3rd line LW (Bjork or Frederic)

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Did I miss today's lines in another thread? Be interesting to see what they do w/ the 3rd line LW (Bjork or Frederic)
Marchand - Bergeron - DeBrusk
Ritchie - Krejci - Pastrnak
Bjork - Coyle - Smith
Frederic - Kuraly - Wagner
Blidh - McKegg - Kuhlman

Lauzon - McAvoy
Clifton - Carlo
Moore - Kampfer

Rask
Halak
Booth

I'd prefer Freddy on the 3rd, but that's just me.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I don't put any stock into this move at all. Cassidy has done this before only to go right back to 63-37-88. Many refer to them as The Perfection Line but I call them Cassidy's Binky.

Yes, he's willing to shake up lines when things aren't going well. The trouble is IMO he doesn't gives his new lines enough time to jell, he seems to think if the chemistry isn't instantaneous it can't happen at all.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I don't put any stock into this move at all. Cassidy has done this before only to go right back to 63-37-88. Many refer to them as The Perfection Line but I call them Cassidy's Binky.

Yes, he's willing to shake up lines when things aren't going well. The trouble is IMO he doesn't gives his new lines enough time to jell, he seems to think if the chemistry isn't instantaneous it can't happen at all.

Agreed. I'd be surprised if it lasts more than a game. The 63-37 line will always do well regardless of the player on the right side, but Pasta and Krejci have never had much chemistry together. I'd love for it to work but we'll see.

Reactions: BMC

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Bjork - Coyle - Smith
Blidh - McKegg - Kuhlman

Lauzon - McAvoy
Clifton - Carlo
Moore - Kampfer

Rask
Halak
Booth

I thought JDB looked good with Coyle. I do like Pasta with Krejci, maybe Smith with Bergeron and Marchand could work well.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Agreed. I'd be surprised if it lasts more than a game. The 63-37 line will always do well regardless of the player on the right side, but Pasta and Krejci have never had much chemistry together. I'd love for it to work but we'll see.
I think Pasta and Krejci work well together.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
How does JDB get a PROMOTION after how horrible he was vs the Isles?

Krejci w Pasta again? Has it ever worked?
In fairness outside of maybe Smith there isn’t another forward on the team you could put up there with those two as far as scoring talent goes.

If they can get Debrusk to work hard it’s not a bad thing. And if he sucks we all know it’ll be Pasta back up there after the first bad shift anyway

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Well this should end any excuses for Krejci. At 7.25 million your job is to make players around you better. Ritchie brings strength to the line and now you have Pasta, one of the best shooters in the NHL. It's time to start producing some major points 5 on 5.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
How does JDB get a PROMOTION after how horrible he was vs the Isles?

Krejci w Pasta again? Has it ever worked?
I get the logic behind putting Debrusk with Marchy and Bergy, but I'm with you on Pasta. I've never liked him with Krejci. They don't seem to jive.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
More of JDB getting things he hasn't earned and doesn't deserve.

It's amazing how immune he is to riding pine and fan anger considering how lazy and disinterested of a player he is on the ice.

Other guys have gotten crucified for half of what JDB gets away with. Guys like Heinen, Smith, Krejci...

Reactions: MattFromFranklin

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

It's amazing how immune he is to riding pine and fan anger considering how lazy and disinterested of a player he is on the ice.

Other guys have gotten crucified for half of what JDB gets away with. Guys like Heinen, Smith, Krejci...

As I posted in the post game thread I have come to believe that DeBrusk has never recovered from the Kadri hit. Whether it is a post concussion issue or something in his sub-conscious I don't know but I do know he hasn't been the same player since coming back.

I agree with you 100% that other players have been murdered for half the stuff JDB gets a pass for. It's not right but that's the way it is unfortunately.

Reactions: Bruinaura

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
I thought the JDB-Coyle-Bjork line actually looked pretty good in their short stint together. But then the Krejci line wasn’t really noticeable with Ritchie and Smith IMO. Again, this was all a short stint. Wouldn’t mind seeing those combos again.

I get spreading the wealth. But Cassidy, as stated above, will just revert back to the “perfection line” when they’re down a goal.

Leave the first and fourth lines alone and do your tinkering with the middle 6. Plenty of talent there. Still plenty of season left before you really need to decide if you need to make a move. Not to mention their 10-2-2 record.

We just need to see more from the guys we expect more from **cough** JDB/Coyle **cough**

Reactions: bbfan419 and BMC

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Seems like Jake "feels" the physical side of the game more than a lot of guys. Every time he gets into a situation that involves big contact, he seems to come away slouched over or otherwise in distress.

Is his pain tolerance just low? Does he actually have a real physical ailment(s) that is causing these problems? I guess we don't know. But it results in an endless cycle of one or two really good games where he's one of the best players on the ice...followed by two or three times as many games where he doesn't even look like he wants to be involved in the flow of play.

I can't imagine his time doesn't run out in Boston relatively soon if he can't become a decently reliable player down the stretch.

And to whomever said he hasn't been the same since the Kadri hit. I would disagree. Maybe it's a bit more amplified now, but this has been an issue with JDB since he has put on a Bruins uniform IMO.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA

In fairness to Jake, I don't think effort is the issue. I haven't seen him dogging it out there. He's a quality player who by all accounts is a good teammate and wants to win. He just goes through streaks of inconsistent play where he doesn't bring much to the table when he isn't scoring. He's not a huge guy like Lucic who throws hits, he doesn't have elite hockey IQ, and he's not a 4th line grinder. He's the Jackie Bradley Jr. of the Bruins. JBJ often goes through stretches where he doesn't bring much to the table when he's not making great defensive plays. I think part of the problem is that some people think he's something that he isn't. Maybe some people look at his 27 goal season and think that he is going to be that player every year. But maybe that was just a career year? If he is a 20-ish goal 40 point 3rd liner for the rest of his career I think many teams would gladly take that. Would you go out of your way to build around that type of player? Absolutely not. But on a really good team (like a 2010 Chicago team) he'd be a 3rd line winger giving you 20 goals.

Last edited:

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Bjork - Coyle - Smith
Blidh - McKegg - Kuhlman

Lauzon - McAvoy
Clifton - Carlo
Moore - Kampfer

Rask
Halak
Booth

Realistically unless bjork or Frederic start scoring the organization is going to need to either target a 3rd line LW or a 2nd line RW at the deadline. Need more offensive production than either of them have been giving.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad