why sweden has never been "big" in basketball?.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
can someone tell me why is that?. sweden has been succesfull in hockey and soccer but not in baskettball. in tennis also!!

There best athletes play hockey, soccer and tennis over basketball?

Not trying to be a jerk, and I don't know much about Sweden, but it's not a big country so the athletic talent pool isn't going to be very big for any sport, much less one of the less popular ones there.

Talisman

Nov 7, 2015
There best athletes play hockey, soccer and tennis over basketball?

Not trying to be a jerk, and I don't know much about Sweden, but it's not a big country so the athletic talent pool isn't going to be very big for any sport, much less one of the less popular ones there.

i hope also that some sweden native come and tells more about it:D.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Sorry for derailing the thread but why did hockey become big in Czechoslavakia but not Yugoslavia?

Infrastructure, culture, never under the direct influence of the USSR, far too many exceptionally popular team sports (soccer, basketball, waterpolo, volleyball, handball) where they were one of if not the top nation in the world.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Probably for the simple reason that it's not a big sport among kids so the talent pool isn't enough. There's Jonas Jerebko, there's Jeff Taylor but you can't use these players unless you get to the championships and we don't most of the time. There's only so many team sports a population of Sweden's size can support at once as mentioned.
The domestic basketball league is the 9th most attended league, behind football, hockey, speedway, hockey tier2, football tier2, handball, bandy and floorball.

So as you can see you can peg it down as the 6th or 7th biggest team sport in Sweden depending if you count motorsport. The three big sports at a national team level are football, hockey and handball. Handball taking the tall players is probably the biggest obstacle for basketball of the three.

I will say though that the outlook is a bit better for the women, they're not as far behind some of the other sports as the men are and they don't have hockey to compete with. The women's basketball league is bigger than the hockey league. They finished Top8 at the Euros some years ago.

Volleyball is even smaller.

Last edited:

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Jonas-Jerebko.jpg

/thread

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Jerebko is end of the thread worthy? :amazed:

Sweden isn't bad in basketball but imho they could be better! FIBA ranking 61st at 2016

Usually Swedes are better than us Finns in ball games but at least we have been better in basketball (FIBA ranking 32th) and volleyball for years now.

Iceland 84th.

But where is Norway and Denmark?

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Sweden was Eurobasket tournament once was it 2011 or 2013 i don't remember that exactly.
Also Sweden has faced Finland in Eurobasket and lost that game about 20-30 points.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
What do american kids play that is the cheapest? Basketball. In sweden the cheapest alternative is soccer. And on top of that, almost all tall player choose Handball before basketball due to tradition.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
White Men Can't Jump.

Btw: In January 2017, it announced Kenya Barris was developing a White Men Can't Jump remake with NBA star Blake Griffin and NFL player Ryan Kalil producing.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Jerebko is end of the thread worthy? :amazed:

Sweden isn't bad in basketball but imho they could be better! FIBA ranking 61st at 2016

Usually Swedes are better than us Finns in ball games but at least we have been better in basketball (FIBA ranking 32th) and volleyball for years now.

Iceland 84th.

But where is Norway and Denmark?
Playing handball like they are supposed to, same as Swedes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad