Olympics: Why Pronger should not be on Team Canada...

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Yes I was watching that live last night when Pronger got beat by Kane. Yeah it looked bad but I don't think Kane is a clod hopper either. He might not be Kovalchuk-speed but he isn't slow. Now of course he's a rookie and that looks bad but you might forgive Pronger for being a little laid back not feeling threatened. He still deserves to be on the team

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003

Nice goal by Ruutu (although Kipper gave up the winning goal shortly after that) but what does a clip from the 2004 World Cup have to do with Pronger? He didn't even play in that tournament

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Pronger is +18 this year. He is a leader and one of the best defensemen in the world. He shouldn't be on Team Canada though because he made a mistake. Team Canada is only for perfection.:sarcasm:

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
By this logic, no player in the world deserves to play on Team Canada. They're not perfect, as much as Canadian fans would like to think they are or should be. Mistakes happen, Pronger got burnt twice by Kane, but neither would've been goals if Carle had his coverage in front of the net.

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
By this logic, no player in the world deserves to play on Team Canada. They're not perfect, as much as Canadian fans would like to think they are or should be. Mistakes happen, Pronger got burnt twice by Kane, but neither would've been goals if Carle had his coverage in front of the net.

Okay so we'll blame the American for Prongers issues...:laugh:

The wasn't very good in 06 either.

Last edited:

mooseOAK*

I too think that the Flyers and Team Canada went to the well once too often with Pronger. Lot of miles on that guy.

VladNYC*

Pronger gets undressed like that many games this season. I completely agree with the OP. He is becoming pylonish. I think people are just going off his name. If the same player had another name you guys wouldn't be so happy with him being on team Canada.

ronnyweed

Aug 7, 2008
Ontario
In the gold medal game against canad a as a junior OV got hurt and quit playing, and in game 7 against the pens he turned the puck over to crosby on the PP for the nail in the coffin... Guess he shouldnt play either cuz in big situations he either gets hurt or turns the puck over

This 2 incidents define his career...

honestly the fact that ur pointing out 2 times in 1 period makes it even less of an arguement

"you made a spelling error in a post last week so you should never post again"

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Watch the highlights from the PHI/ATL game last night and Pronger got flat-out beat to the outside -- twice -- by Evander Kane, causing two Atlanta goals.

Highlights here:
http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip260883#clip260883

If he has problems keeping up with Kane, I shudder to think what he's going to do against Russia, where every player is just as fast.

please note the above poster is a Calgary flames fan and obvious he would rather have one the flames 3 then pronger on the team

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
A pretty solid replacement for Pronger is Willie Mitchell. The only difference is Pronger has more offense.

It's not that Pronger has been playing bad it's the fact his foot speed isn't very good. The only way he catches Kane is because he goes infront of the net and even that didn't work. Pronger wasn't very good in 06 either. He may be better because of the smaller ice but is speed is my concern in a short tournament.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

This could be the biggest amount of fail I have ever seen in one post.

Nearly everything stated here is a complete bastardization of facts. For the love of god, please watch a game that doesn't involve the Canucks.

LannysStach

Thou shall
Dec 13, 2004
NYC & Toronto
So by your logic Team Russian should have left Ovechkin off their roster? His history of slew-footing, charging, and kneeing may cost them 5 + game misconduct at a key time during the Olympics.

Ovechkin is the best hockey player in the world. Or at least that's what his peers in the league have voted him for the last two years and counting.

Pronger's penalty and suspension history speaks for itself.

I think there will be a direct correlation between team penalty minutes and the final standings.

I hope Canada wins both, but Pronger's my concern on an otherwise very responsible line-up.

R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Nov 19, 2007
I love how people talk about having enough speed for "the international game" with regards to this tournament.. which is being played on an NHL ice surface. :facepalm:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I love how people talk about having enough speed for "the international game" with regards to this tournament.. which is being played on an NHL ice surface. :facepalm:

The speed of the game is going to be much faster isn't it?
Not saying Pronger shouldn't be there but he doesn't have the legs to match most first line players.

Against
Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Gaborik, Hossa, Pairse...

I'd rather have keith/weber out there then pronger

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
Unbelievable. People will say anything to see themselves post.

agreed.........vanilla.

Ovechkin is the best hockey player in the world. Or at least that's what his peers in the league have voted him for the last two years and counting.

Pronger's penalty and suspension history speaks for itself.

I think there will be a direct correlation between team penalty minutes and the final standings.

I hope Canada wins both, but Pronger's my concern on an otherwise very responsible line-up.

If you're arguing on his suspensions, then Pronger had the same attitude and style in 2002 and he was fine. Also, that attitude is an asset. You think players don't think twice about going into the corner with Pronger?

So, who dare I ask would replace him?

sensfan83*

If all Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, etc. can generate against Canada are wrap-arounds then I'll be more than happy with Pronger. How anyone can watch those goals and blame Pronger is beyond me. OP must be new to hockey.

LannysStach

Thou shall
Dec 13, 2004
NYC & Toronto
If you're arguing on his suspensions, then Pronger had the same attitude and style in 2002 and he was fine. Also, that attitude is an asset. You think players don't think twice about going into the corner with Pronger?

So, who dare I ask would replace him?

I love this Team Canada. I was vocally opposed to that team in '06, and we know what happened.

I like the GM and respect their decisions (unlike last time).

I'm just saying I have concerns about Pronger. Maybe, and hopefully they're unnecessary. But he's still racks up more penalty minutes than most other leading defensemen.

I assume he's going to be on our 3rd pairing, and that he recognizes the importance of not taking a stupid penalty, and he'll have good coaches and a dressing room peer group he does not want to let down.

for all these reasons, I'm not up in arms about his selection, but I am concerned about it.

as for replacement — how bout Chicago's Brian Campbell, or 6'6" stalwart Jeff Schultz is one of the league leaders in +/- and has all of 20 penalty minutes this season, or the best offensive defenseman the last 2 years, Mike Green, although he may have gone out tonight with a bad knee injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad